Peach fuzz has been shaved; she's home

USNRET

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry USNRET........stuff like that drives me up a wall and keeps me from sleeping at night....so many variables

This may seem far fetched, but it happened to me with one combo once: Your Mac 2125 is only 2 prong ungrounded?

If so....take any old piece of hook-up wire and run it from the chassis of the 2125 to ground of a 3 prong outlet while the preamp is hooked up and your belles only.......I had the same problem with a Mac 2505 which was 2 prong and the grounding stopped the hum

May be worth a shot????

Sorry USNRET........stuff like that drives me up a wall and keeps me from sleeping at night....so many variables

This may seem far fetched, but it happened to me with one combo once: Your Mac 2125 is only 2 prong ungrounded?

If so....take any old piece of hook-up wire and run it from the chassis of the 2125 to ground of a 3 prong outlet while the preamp is hooked up and your belles only.......I had the same problem with a Mac 2505 which was 2 prong and the grounding stopped the hum

May be worth a shot????

All is worth a shot Fenderbender. I think I sorta did that by proxy. I ran connection from chassis ground of amp to chassis of preamp.

FWIW Dept.

I had a MC 2125 for years and used it with BBX/Peach/Merlin and never had a drop of trouble. Of course the unit is on the way here, but something I never asked was: is the Peach sitting directly ON TOP of other component like a power amp? One thing that none of my preamps like is sitting on top of a large power transformer. I usually suggest about 6" of clearance top and bottom.

I had it here:

Cool. I'd probably swap the CD and the Peach spot, just for the extra space between the big amplifier.

I hope to get the chance to remove all, re-arrange and dress wiring this weekend...right, still painting and flooring; YES DEAR, I'm coming. Mark, let me know what you hear when you plug it in.

Pat--

Cool! Yes, they should all be like that. If not, there is either a tube problem (common) or something wrong with the installation, or of course some problem with the unit itself.

AHHH, noiseless. On one hand I want it to be a tube problem (I know jack about them) on the other hand I want it to be a unit problem because I tried what I know and if it's a tube then well, I know jack about them. Heck let's just get me a preamp back, installed without noise, an LP playing on my Pro_Ject/Tercel/Peach/McIntosh/Belle and a Makers Mark in my hand. CHEERS!

I've been through 5 JMA products. Interesting that I blamed my electrical hookups in the house. I do beleive there was a problem until now. I have 4 dedicated 20 amp lines...

But what fixed it for me everytime.....was the choice of Interconnects. I can't explain it.

I have some cheapo non-video sheilded RCA cables that would never work.......

Then some Acoustic Research cables...or something like that...I have a ton of this stuff. Cheap shelded RCA cables...would have hum some of the time...

Tributaries Copper RCA cables sheilded. Never.

All this when I unplugged eveything and just had the preamp hooked to whatever amp with speakers hooked up. Other compnents unplugged from RCA and unplugged from AC. Heck...the preamp could be off and ony the amps on and I would get Hum.

Weird.....

jc

I've been through 5 JMA products. Interesting that I blamed my electrical hookups in the house. I do beleive there was a problem until now. I have 4 dedicated 20 amp lines...

But what fixed it for me everytime.....was the choice of Interconnects. I can't explain it.

Then some Acoustic Research cables...or something like that...I have a ton of this stuff. Cheap shelded RCA cables...would have hum some of the time...

All this when I unplugged eveything and just had the preamp hooked to whatever amp with speakers hooked up. Other compnents unplugged from RCA and unplugged from AC. Heck...the preamp could be off and ony the amps on and I would get Hum.

Weird.....

jc

Yo Peeps,

Weird is it. Did you hear any preamp junk from Merlin in Hope '06 or anything at my home in '07? Didn't think so. A small hiss up close at best. The Peach ll is dead silent. When I first connected P2, it was so quiet that I had to put on a CD to see if it really worked!

With the dbb's (104+db) speaker and 2404 tweeters, one would think that hiss or hum would jump all over the listener. ? Absolutely without question, there is no hiss or 60 cycle type crap in this place.

As said, the prob must be a spook and the spook is not in this house. THIS UNIT IS STONE DEAD QUIET!!!

I just can't say it any other way. Wish I could help others.

tc

EDIT PS: and with cheap Audioquest IC's.....

Mark's got it on the bench and did indeed find a hum (I think I'm relieved). His initial thought is either bad cap or broken solder joint. At least I know (hope) that it's not a setup issue so all should be good a week or so.

Oh, and as a testiment to the forum member (Robert) that sold it to me, Mark added these words:

. "Overall, your unit though looks brand new. It is the best looking old Peach I've seen yet. "

My new Peach is q_____u_____i_____e_____t as a church mouse.

Anyone considering tubes and Klipsch should not be disappointed if it sounds like mine. Boy, am I lucky, Stick out tongue

" I " know you will enjoy that Preamp when it returns, USNRET.

Speedball,

As it turns out, there was a slight Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound, which I always thought was normal for tubes and I ASSumed was associated with the Peach. Anyway, since I've sold the Peach to you, I went ahead and hooked up my CD player (with variable outs) directly to my older Aragon 2004 amp (which I love by the way). Turns out the Bzzzzzzzzz was coming directly from the amp. I've never hooked it up this way before, but now I know. Glad to hear your Peach is dead quiet. No pun intended.

BS Button

Weird.....

jc

Yo Peeps,

Weird is it. Did you hear any preamp junk from Merlin in Hope '06 or anything at my home in '07? Didn't think so. A small hiss up close at best. The Peach ll is dead silent. When I first connected P2, it was so quiet that I had to put on a CD to see if it really worked!

With the dbb's (104+db) speaker and 2404 tweeters, one would think that hiss or hum would jump all over the listener. ? Absolutely without question, there is no hiss or 60 cycle type crap in this place.

As said, the prob must be a spook and the spook is not in this house. THIS UNIT IS STONE DEAD QUIET!!!

I just can't say it any other way. Wish I could help others.

tc

EDIT PS: and with cheap Audioquest IC's.....

I lost track of this thread. I posted and never came back.

tc. No I didn't hear hum or any significant hiss from your Merlin. This was at Hope AR and at your house. I've heard Coytee's Peach I and Fragnito's Peach I. No Hum (Richard must have gotten lucky :).

3 of the last JMA products I had...I dealt with a hum. Again.....my interconnects were a problem. I also figureds out...as well as others...that an EV DX38 ...even if powered off somewhere in the system can bring a hum.

These issues were were resolved and of all the JMA's I've had........the problem wasn't from the JMA....it was some link in the chain in combo with the JMA. But everytime......I could resolve it down to a small hiss with an ear up to the tweeter.

I'm currently looking to get a used BBX and mod it..... After hearing Mark Fragnitos Peach 1 with the MC250....I realized....I need to get that back for my LS II's. I have another MC250 here already......

jc

Arrived today, Thanks again Mark! It's cold and damp on the front steps today, 17 this morning, so I'm gonna let the Georgia Peach get a little warmer and drier for a few hours before I find out what clean noiseless muzak sounds like. She's lounging on her throne with slippers and robe on watching as I tear into the new VPI box.