The official recipe thread......

tommyboy

I think this will be a great thread! Sorry if there's aalready one out there somewhere. I figure this way, if we all participate, we won't have to resort to cookbooks anymore! Anyway, here's my secret chicken recipe...... Oven fried chicken!

You will need:

1 1/2 cups potato flakes: instant potatoes, flavor your choice

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup melted butter

1 teaspoon water

1 egg

3-3.5 pounds cut up frying chicken ( I use boneless, skinless breasts)

Heat oven to 400. In large bowl, combine potato flakes, seasoned salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper. Add butter, mix well. In medium bowl, beat water with the egg

Dip chicken ieces in egg mixture; coat all sides with potato flake mixture. Place chicken, skin side up, in ungreased13*9 inch pan

Bake for 55-60 mins. Now, this is where you have to watch out. For breasts, it's more like 25-30 mins.

I know it may sound like shake n bake, but it's SO much better! This is the dish I make when we have unusual company over for dinner.......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBQ brisket or pork rib sauce

1/2 gal white vinegar

2 tablespoon each: salt, black pepper, red (cayene) pepper, dry mustard, chili powder

1/2 - 1 1/2 cup sugar (to taste, I use 1 cup)

4 tablespoons ketchup or catsup if you prefer

Mix all dry ingredients together with whisk (prevents mustard from clumping)

Bring vinegar to rapid boil

stir in dry mix

add ketchup

Boil for 5 minutes; reduce to hard simmer 5 minutes

Place boneless country style pork ribs in suace and allow to slowly simmer (barely bubble) for 15 minutes; grill over medium hot charcoal, use sauce to dip

Brisket (must be untrimmed): prep as above but place brisket in deep pan with sauce in oven at 250 for about 30 minutes covered. Hot marinade. Cook brisket in smoker at 250-275 with hickory and a small amount of mesquite. I cook for 12-14 hours for 15 lb brisket IMPORTANT brisket must be fat side UP in smoker.

Yes, very good idea.

This started out as a copy of Wendy's chili, but I modified it a bit. But it is still a mild, wholesome, comfort food type of chili.

Greg’s Chili Recipe

4 lbs. ground beef.

1 (15 to 16 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (29 oz.) can diced tomatoes – I found a brand that makes petite diced tomatoes which is the best way to go.
2 (15 to 16 oz.) cans of Pinto beans

1 (15 to 16 oz.) can of red kidney beans – small beans if possible

1 large sweet onion

1 (15 to 16 oz.) can French onion soup – put in a bowl and use your hand to mash up

onion pieces until most of the pieces are gone
3-4 stalks celery – can chop up some of the greens too
1 large green pepper

1-2 small long green hot peppers
2 - 3 Tsp. chili powder
1 Tsp. ground cumin
1 Tsp. garlic powder
Add salt, pepper, and if desired, cayenne pepper to taste

Add ½ liter of bottled water, so the consistency of

the chili is almost soup-like – it will thicken up as it cooks, however, this is

supposed to be almost soup-like.
Saltine crackers

About $20 for these ingredients, more if you have to buy all the spices first time around

Put all canned ingredients into a very large pot and start simmering

Cut up green pepper, onion, celery, and add to pot – try to make all the pieces uniform,

petite diced cut

Cut up the hot peppers into very tiny pieces, minced. Don’t rub your eyes!

Fry up the ground beef and add to pot. Fry it up into “rice” size pieces. Very fine pieces

of beef. Remove excess grease.

Add spices and water

Simmer at least 2 hours

Freezes easily

We always poured out about 1/4 of the beer to fill it up with seasonings and stuff.....

pouring out beer? isn't that considered alcohol abuse? on second thought, you are talking about beer in a can, so i guess that isn't real beer anyway.

Not when it comes to bbq its not!!!

My potato recipe (not very healthy, but darn good!)

You'll need potatoes, green peppers, REAL bacon (cooked and crumbled into crumbs) jalapenos, green onions, seasoned salt and pepper

Cut everything up into pretty small pieces. Potatoes can be cut how you want them, but the larger the pieces, the longer it takes to cook. After it's all cut up, mix very well in a bowl. Then put it in "burrito" shapes on a piece of foil. Put a lot of butter on top of the mixture. Roll the foil around it, and seal the ends. Put on grill for about 40 mins.....................

My potato recipe (not very healthy, but darn good!)

You'll need potatoes, green peppers, REAL bacon (cooked and crumbled into crumbs) jalapenos, green onions, seasoned salt and pepper

Cut everything up into pretty small pieces. Potatoes can be cut how you want them, but the larger the pieces, the longer it takes to cook. After it's all cut up, mix very well in a bowl. Then put it in "burrito" shapes on a piece of foil. Put a lot of butter on top of the mixture. Roll the foil around it, and seal the ends. Put on grill for about 40 mins.....................

[Y]

Also a variation called - "Darth Taters".... Up the amount of jalapenos to some NASA approved rocket fuel level, throw in about a teaspoon of minced garlic per a pile of the tater pieces that would be the same as a tater.... Bake them like normal baked taters in foil at 400 degrees for about an hour, and when they come out, get the cheese treatment (or sour cream is good too)... Done right, they will make your eyes water and mouth burn like you got smacked with a culinary quality light saber.... You can also substitute frozen french fries or "tater tots", dependent on your cholesterol levels. If done right, no-one at work will bother you the next day.... [A][;)]

Homemade Pico-De-Gallo relish:

1 x green bell pepper

1 x sweet onion (recommended, but you can use plain yellow, etc.)

1 x celery bundle

1 x small "bundle" of fresh cilantro

2-3 medium sized tomatos (sorta ripe, but not too ripe to cut into chunks); or about 6-8 plum tomatos.

1 x teaspoon kosher type salt

1 x tablespoon black pepper

2 x tablespoons minced garlic, or 6-8 fresh cloves

(Optional, but recommended - 1/2 cup of fresh chopped jalapenos)

3 x ounces EVO olive oil

1/2 x ounce lemon juice

1/2 x ounce lime juice (you can use more)

Slice & dice all the veggies up into small pieces. Finely chop the cilantro, including stems. Put in mixing bowl, add pepper, salt, minced garlic (or finely chopped cloves), olive oil and mix everything together. After mixing, add lemon and lime juice. The lemon and lime keep the veggies fresher, longer and the lime gives it a great complimentary taste to the cilantro. Cover bowl with foil and allow to chill for about 3-4 hours in fridge.

Use on tortilla chips as substitute for salsa; can be put as a topping with cheddar on baked taters; a nice side salad with some sliced olives and sour cream; makes a great veggie pizza topping; and as a topping with or wthout cheese on chile. Can be mixed with salsa sauce for chips also. You can also mix sour cream with it and use it as a "dip" for chips, etc.

Makes a fairly large bowl.

It will usually keep for several days provided it's kept covered in the fridge.

Did you ever have a beer in the fridge that not even your brother-in-law would take? Well, now you can really impress everyone with this very easy to make bread. I am cooking a loaf now and remembered this recipe thread. The recipe came off the internet so I can only take credit in running across it when looking for a beer recipe. The title says it all. I have always baked it for 45 minutes exactly and have had absolutely no problems with it not being cooked enough. Its an almost “no chance of failure” bread recipe. Enjoy.

Farmgirl Susan's Almost Too Easy Whole Wheat Beer Bread Recipe

Makes One Loaf

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon baking powder

14 ounces beer (or 12 ounces beer & 2 ounces water)

Optional glaze: 1 egg & 2 teaspoons water, beaten

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, brush with egg glaze if desired, and bake until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool 10 more minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.