Left Handed Presidents

jacksonbart

• Moderators

If you are a baby boomer around the same age as little bush, gore or clinton, please spare us and don't run. 16 years is enough.

I miss Bill.

Clinton was Omnidickstous.

Greg

Maybe I'm trying too hard. Stick out tongue

Yes he was.

But when it came down to it he was a lefty, at least left was his cigar holding hand.

I had no idea

James A. Garfield, 20th

Herbert Hoover, 31st

Harry S. Truman, 33rd

Gerald Ford, 38th

Ronald Reagan, 40th

George H.W. Bush, 41st

Bill Clinton, 42nd

and Obama, 44th

this comes as quite a surprise. i had no idea that these were the only presidents with left hands.

• Moderators

I think that proves that billiards is not a "sport". :)

Neither is bowling Big Smile

Interesting... So since I play pool with my left hand, it's not a sport, but I do bowl right handed...so it must be a sport!

I am the gauge from which all things are judged. [;)]

I do most things with my left hand but I am right eyed thus I always sucked at baseball, you need to be same sided to do well. You use your nose for reference of things like speed, angle ect when batting and as I batted left handed, my right eye was close to the pitcher thus I had NO reference to gauge the ball by and I would consistantly strike out. Not until I was in my 40s did I learn why I sucked at most sports. I still am not good but at least I now know why I "just don't get it".

To check which is your dominant eye, hold a finger up at arms distance and look past the finger to a distant object. With the free hand move it in front of one eye then the other. When you block the vision from one eye, the finger seems to move or jump, the other eye, the finger stays in the same place. The eye that sees the finger NOT move is the dominant eye and is the one that you judge speed, angles etc from. If as in my case, the nose is not in the picture when batting, the eye has NO stationary reference to judge by, thus you can not consistantly predict where the ball will be. This goes for everything you look at but some things matter more than others. I shoot RIGHT handed and thus sight with my right eye and all is well.

Years ago, when I was signing in at the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound, Ontario, with my left hand, the sign-in lady commented that three-quarters of the attendees seemed to be left-handed. I always thought they were a pretty select group of extreme sportbike fans, but I'd never thought there was a defining physical characteristic.

As for me, I write with my left hand, swing a bat or club right-handed, kick with my left foot (since I was young, before I learned that "left-footer" is actually a sectarian epithet among certain religious/racial bigots), but weld and use a wrench with either hand. I trained myself to be ambidextrous with tools because you often encounter confined spaces where one arm will fit or reach, but the other one won't.

My right eye is dominant, possibly because it sees more clearly and I didn't wear glasses until my 30s, so it was doing most of the work until then.