so i walk into a thirft store

seti

Great tale. You can't make up stuff like that.

Sometimes I dream of such finds, but in the dream I cannot quite figure out how to make sure the "stuff" is real and physical when I wake up. I am still working on this. One of the great challenges in modern day physics, and only a few years ago considered merely "science fiction".

Also I just purchased a new device, similar to a metal detector, for finding old audio gear within a 100 mile radius. The one for 500 miles is way too expensive, and what's the point really, fini lives only a few miles from me.

C&S

Sometimes I dream of such finds, but in the dream I cannot quite figure out how to make sure the "stuff" is real and physical when I wake up. I am still working on this. One of the great challenges in modern day physics, and only a few years ago considered merely "science fiction".

Have you read The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Leguin, about a man who was blessed (or cursed) with "effective dreaming", which meant his dreams came true, with results that were usually unforeseen? There was even a movie or two based on it. No audio references, though.

I will have to check out that novel, sounds interesting.

Its not so much that I want dreams to come true, I just want the stuff to be in my house when I wake up. Sometimes I have even dreamed that I pulled this off and still the stuff was not in my real house when I really woke up, and I have found some really cool stuff. It has been very disappointing to say the least. I think I am close though.

C&S

Leguin is is great but I haven't read her in years. The Dispossessed was the last book by her that I read. Interesting.

Up until this morning I was going to sell everything I found on ebay. I changed my mind this afternoon because I'll never get this deal again. I was going through the documentation and found a repair receipt from Custom Audio dated 1978. The bill was $200. Since the Scott had been rebuilt 20 years ago I fired it up for a test run. The guys in the shop had already done this. There is a slight transformer hum but otherwise ok. I replaced the power cord on the Garrard because the original was falling apart. The on off switch on the TT won't stay in the on position but I guess this is a minor problem. I held the power switch in the on position while it played a record track and it played without a problem. The speed selector is abit hard to move. I suppose I need to research 301 maintenance and getting a plinth built. Any advice on maintenance, plinth, and tone arm selection is much appreciated. The tone arm is a Garrard TPA12.

Seti,

I googled a bit, it turns out that Garrard TT restored and hot rodded (Shindo?) with the right arm and plinth etc. can be around $20K. I think that is the find worth learning to fix. Apparently that very transport mechanism that you acquired is highly prized. Like fini said, there are guidelines on the web for turning this thrift store find into a total gem for playing some music! Whatever you need to do to it is probably well worth the effort and learning curve.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/garrard/301.html

C&S

Seti,

I googled a bit, it turns out that Garrard TT restored and hot rodded (Shindo?) with the right arm and plinth etc. can be around $20K. I think that is the find worth learning to fix. Apparently that very transport mechanism that you acquired is highly prized. Like fini said, there are guidelines on the web for turning this thrift store find into a total gem for playing some music! Whatever you need to do to it is probably well worth the effort and learning curve.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/garrard/301.html

Thanks I read that and a couple other articles. Damm very surprising not sure what to say. Those guys are serious TT addicts. I think I'll go for simple and funtional. We rigged it up tonight and played two records. This guy had a nice rig very stable.

Seti, you must be living right! That 299D looks great. No telling what those discarded tubes might have been worth!

Just plain luck. I dive in and out of a couple thrift stores in town if I am close and have time it just finally paid off. He said tubes and electronic stuff so no telling what was tossed.

Ursula K. Leguin's books are great, but they are too depressing.

Ian, that really is a wonderful find. Just take your time with the refurbing and I'm sure it will all come out great.

Yeah I think I read Camus, Leguin, and Kafka on a long coast to coast Amtrack trip when I was younger.

The problem is that there are as many plinth theories as there are 301 turntables and not much in the way of general consensus. The Kaiser came over today and we spun a side of vinyl on it so far so good. The phono stage on the Scott is a nice surprise.

I spent a good 45 minutes with a soft brush and soapy warm water to get the grime removed.

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Just a little yellowing along the edge but not too bad.

IMG_1205.jpg

I'll take care of that 301 for ya[;)] Seeing and now hearing this stuff first hand Seti may have made the find of the year that I've seen. The Gerrard needs a little love (not to mention a custom plinth, killer arm and cart setup) especially the on off switch but well worth the money to repair. I would love this table[:P]

The Scott performed flawlessly, still can't believe what a find he lucked into[:o] Those EV drivers sounded great plus he picked up a decent cassette played, Teac I believe? and a Tuner(Realistic maybe?) The Inty, table and speakers are just incredible. Cheers buddy

Thanks I didn't even know what the 301 was until Iooked it up. I thought since it looked like a Thorens 124 that it might be something. My brother is going to make me a custom plinth. The condition is good it just needs a little work. Woohoo I'm psyched.

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1218.jpg