Off the deep end- Heritage HT system

winchester21

I have had a HT system using reference components both exclusive and in conjunction with others since 2001. I had my system pretty much complete except for a set of RF 83s when i got off into a 2 channel heritage system with Cornwalls/Mac stuff bought from the garage. A deal just popped upon a set of K horns and lascallas and I jumped on it.As soon as my source takes actual possession of the speakers I will be selling my reference stuff. I love the reference stuff and I would have been satisfied forever had I not heard the Cornwalls. K horns, Belles, and Lascallas. This is more like a substance abuse problem than a hobby.

Is anyone running a 5.1 or a 7.1 setup using k horns as front and cornies or lascallas as rears, surrrounds, or a center? What kind of amps? I am particulary interested in the preamp/ processor. I need HDMI capabilities for Direct TV- Bluray. Also interested in how these particulary speakers sound together.i also plan to incorporate a 2 channel setup into the mix with a Mac c28 Peramp/ mac 2105 driving the k horns in addition to using the k horns as fronts.thanks in advanxce-Chris

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My System... K horns up front with a Vertical Cornwall here...

RSW 15 sub and rs 7's in the side / rears.Aragon Stage One and 2007 amp.

Yes, you will love it. McIntosh is a soft warm sound with K horns you will like the matchup here too.

You still will need a sub for movies/ HDTV.

I use 7 La Scala's downtairs... It is awesome!

The best match for a center with K horns is a La Scala. If your basically in front of the TV, a Cornwall digs lower and might sound like it fits in better. We live in the mid range, so anything like a La Scala where the high and mid horns are the same, it helps.

Many of us use, or have used, Khorns/LaS in surround setups. I have seperated mine, and now have four LaS, a Heresy, and sub in an upstairs room. They aren't even hooked-up. It's taken me two years + to remodel the house, and it'll be the last room finished.

When together, the 6.1 sounded... well, I miss it. Well-recorded SACDs in multichannel through K/Ls can sound stunningly beautiful. I have a top-of-the-line (several years old) Marantz receiver in that system. No, the detail isn't as impressive as my tube amps, but if you go with a receiver, I can recommend Marantz.

SSH

Oh, winchester, you are now hopelessly lost. You have, like many of us have, and many more of us will, surrendered to an unstoppable force. Once content with Reference, through forces unknown and uncontrollable, you have now entered Heritage Zone. Beware!! Heritage Zone is not the end of the journey, but merely a waypoint on the way to Klipsch Pro Zone, where you will discover that, as incredible as Heritage Zone is (was), even greater awakenings lie ahead in the Land of the Jubilee.

You "loved the reference stuff and would have been satisfied forever had you not heard the Corns, K's, Belles, and LaScalas."

Oh, dear brother winchester, you haven't heard the Jubilees, have you? Be afraid. Turn back while you can. Do not listen to the Jubilee. Or . . . . . . . .

Although I'm not using my khorns in my HT set up, I am using belles for mains and cornwalls for center and surrounds in a 5.1 set up with a Yamaha RX V2700. The sound is fantastic!!! Using my khorns strictly for 2 channel with mc275 and blueberry with a little help from epik conquest, and this sounds fantastic as well!!! Sounds to me your heading in the right direction for an all Heritage HT set up.

I have 2 cornwalls now- LOVE THEM- Buying 2 Khorns- fronts/2channels- 2 lascallas rears??? - What direction should i go for a center- Corwall- Lascalla- or the dreaded Cornscalla?? Your opinoins are respected and appreciated - Indy- I heard your stuff kicks @ss. Rookie getting in over his head quick. comments appreciated.

Put the Check Book down. Step away from the Check Book, step away from the Light...............

I hear the Voices calling............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Run ![:)]

All Joking aside..........I am jealous of your setup..........Post Pics when you get it all together ! Congrats !

With all due respect,it would be very hard to be"content forever"with the reference set you had,as it is several steps down from top/mix and match.

That said,it sounds like your're on your way to a great set up,enjoy.

I have 2 cornwalls now- LOVE THEM- Buying 2 Khorns- fronts/2channels- 2 lascallas rears??? - What direction should i go for a center- Corwall- Lascalla- or the dreaded Cornscalla?? Your opinoins are respected and appreciated - Indy- I heard your stuff kicks @ss. Rookie getting in over his head quick. comments appreciated.

LOL You might consider a ALL Cornwall Theater. The Nirvana is a vertical Cornwall in the center. (So the screen is not so high! ) Also, Heresy's make wonderful sides n rears too.. You have some great options.

The best is a La Scala, if your going to go K Horns on the fronts!! I think we only have one person ever really attempt a K horn center. I have no idea how the bass would really work that way?

I have always steer people to always match the front three... Try and get the same mids n highs as your left n rights (SO THE SAME SPEAKER HERE ALWAYS WORKS THE BEST) I have heard 3 Heresey's, 3 Cornwall's, etc., all very good.. and sound excellent!!!

2 Khorns with La Scala's, Bells, Cornwalls etc etc. Everything BUT the same speaker is a shade of grey compromise wise........

Thanks for the compliment! If your in Indy, give me a Email and I can have you come by to see n hear my system too. Kick @ss.. hehehehe, Yep!

The thing is this, you can get a just AMAZING system for a LOT less than buying new if your willing to shop around some. If you have the cash by all means do go new... It is just a tad better yes,,,, But older Klipsch Heritage speakers have the same amazing dynamics, and if you combine that with say a NEW sub(s) and sub amp, like I did with the Klipsch KA 1000 amp and the matched KSW120 sub(s) both Klipsch ultra II,.... WOW have u got a KILLER system too!

I thought about trying a 3rd K horn in the center but would require a built in false corner in the center of the room. This would get me shot for sure. Back to another cornwall or a Lascalla. Thanks for all of the input- greatly appreciated.

Fish- I had a borrowed set of RF83s for 2 days and had also listened to Rf 63s hooked up to my system. Was going to buy the rf 83s the dayI bought the Cornwalls but the deal fell through. I have a WTB ad for a RSW 15 like yours but they are tough to find. With that considered I would not consider my ref system 2 clicks down or mismatched. Even without the sub it was one of the best that I have ever heard and I could easily be satisfied with it had I not gotten into the Heritage trap.

I'm another to use K-horns mains... IB subwoofer... and Cornwall
rears... while i'll be soon replacing my Heresy center with a custom CornScala
shortly... which will hopefully provide the closest match possible without
using an actual K-Horn. I seem to recall Q-man modifing a
Khorn (placed it's bass bin sideways to use the wall floor intersection) to use
it as a center at one point. The problem with the typical vertical Khorn
is it requires a false corner and an acoustically transparent projection screen...
otherwise the screen ends up being too high on the wall for comfortable
viewing IMHO.

The idea behind the custom CornScala is to maximize bass
(LaScala's seem quite lean compared to Khorns), minimizing the height, eliminating
the need for the false corner, and keeping the same upper section on all three
front speakers.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/64932.aspx?PageIndex=14

Oh, dear brother winchester, you haven't heard the Jubilees, have you? Be afraid. Turn back while you can. Do not listen to the Jubilee. Or . . . . . . . .

I will make sure that before he hears the Jubilees (which he's not confirmed an interest yet), I'll make sure we FIRST load the LaScalas and Khorns [6]

I know that Cigarbum and I were 'enablers' and hope the misses winchester does not find out where we live. Monsieur Chris has yet to let the cat out of the bag who led him down the KHorn path. And I know the KHs/LaScalas did not fit in that Porsche he and the son were sporting around in.