New TV!

toddvj

I just picked up a new Samsung LN52A650. It's freakin' awesome. Got it just in time for the Superbowl. I went from a 50" 720p TV to this one. My wife did not think we needed a new TV, but as soon as I turned it on, she was convinced. Which is good, because even though she said yes, I could tell she was a little peeved about me buying it.

Anybody considering picking up this TV, I'd highly recommend it, you will NOT be disappointed.

Fresh out of the box, the settings make things look a little weird. It's the Auto Motion Plus thing. I watched King Kong on Blu-Ray, and everything looked really fake. I thought it was just that the movie used really fake CGI, but that wasn't it, because I soon realized everything I watched looked like that. The best way to describe it is: It looks like you are watching a play and the actors are standing in front of a fake set, with a spotlight shining on them. I can see myself using the Auto Motion Plus if I'm showing off the TV to someone, because it really makes the picture look impressive, but I cannot see myself actually watching movies with the feature turned on. I'll have to experiment more with sports and games, though. I had it on during the Superbowl, and it seemed to make the picture look nicer.

Anyway, here's a couple pix:

NewTV%20027.jpg

NewTV%20015.jpg

This weekend, I'm going to rewire everything and make it look nicer. For now, the speakers are staying spaced like they are. Our next purchase is going to be some new chairs that will be centered with the TV. At that time I will probably rearrange, and put the equipment rack on the outside of the speakers.

Congrats on the new tv . Check the AVS forums and you should see some recommendations on picture settings . The obvious is to turn down the contrast and brightness a little ; or alot as I am not familiar with your paticular set . Some good info there from knowledgable people . Heck the thread on my new Pioneer 6020 is 250 pages or so . But there are ALOT of people on that forum and your questions will be answered fairly quickly .

Now about those wires ! [:P]

Congrats and I know what you're talking about. My best friend bought a Sony XBR4 with 120Hz and motion-thingy and when its switched on everything looks so odd. I'm so used to having more of a jerky picture when the camera pans back and forth. On animated movies its a cool feature but on live action its just odd. I noticed that on movies that have live action and special effects in the same shot the special effects look a lot less realistic for some reason. I think we watched 10,000 BC and the scene where they're running around with the mammoths looks like they're running in a cartoon.

I have the same TV. Awesome indeed. I have the automotion set to low for my HDTV-DVR, and OFF fot my PS3 and HD-DVD player. The auto-motion make some of the movies look worse. Ex. Opening flyby in the the City in Dark Knight has some funkinesson the top left corner. It was like the Black/White grid was becoming 'colorized' (think when anchors wore tigh pin stripes on SDTV days). All I have had people is complement me on the TV.

[:$]

Congrats on the new tv.... Cool

I can see that "Spotlight" that you are talking about.... Stick out tongue

I know what you mean about the wires, I have been saying that and it still isn't done but it needs to be.

James

The spotlight in this case is the flash from my camera. I'm not a good enough photographer to know how to avoid that [:$]

As far as the wires, I'm actually looking forward to cleaning it up. Now that I have HDMI for everything, it should be easy.

I almost get sick of seeing so many people getting "Touch of Color" Samsung LCDs, but they are just so ridiculously good looking that it's impossible! They are backordered at local Best Buys until April.

I still hold that the Pioneer plasma line is superior in PQ, but it is nowhere near as good a value as the Samsungs...

Honestly, I even see the 'Color' in my room. Forget it when the lights are out or its pretty dark. The color is non-existant.

I saw this and the Pioneer 50TH800 or something, the THX one, next to eachother. They where very very similair to me, and same price, but the samsung was in stock.

• Moderators

The spotlight in this case is the flash from my camera. I'm not a good enough photographer to know how to avoid that

If you take a photo of something that has a flat reflective surface (like a TV), it helps to take the photo at an angle (like from the side) so the flash reflects off the tv and onto the wall instead of back in the camera lense.

I almost get sick of seeing so many people getting "Touch of Color" Samsung LCDs, but they are just so ridiculously good looking that it's impossible! They are backordered at local Best Buys until April.

I still hold that the Pioneer plasma line is superior in PQ, but it is nowhere near as good a value as the Samsungs...

I got mine at Ultimate Electronics. They had it in stock to walk out the door with.

...And there's no way I could afford the Pioneer Elite, as much as I'd like to.

I have a friend who manages a Electronics store. He gave it to me for $1,775.

Last week everybody had it on sale for $1,999, and Sears had additional 10% with Sears card. Unfortunately, the prices have gone back up. Probably a Samsung-sponsored deal for the superbowl. You can get this TV on amazon for $1,868 with free shipping.