What is the best Crown amp for stereo listening currently being made

jacksonbart

You said currently being made so that rules my K2's out.

I've only heard a couple Crowns that I'm aware of so my answer is limited. That said, I've been told by some that I respect that Crown K series were among their best. Or was it best value? I know you can get them on ebay for $500/700 range. At least, I did ($650)

One thing I like about mine is it's convection cooled so regardless of how much I step on it (it can double as a 3 1/2" tall ladder [:P]) I won't ever have a cooling fan come on which DID happen with my dbx amp and had me running in circles trying to figure out what the noise was. I finally figured it out but didn't like that I could hear the fan while listening to something (at normal sane levels)

by the way, stepping on them barefoot after they've been on for a while is not recommended....the front faceplate on them is their heat sink and can get quite warm to the touch.

I might have one out of my system for a while... if you think you'd like to give it a listen.

In terms of sound quality. I realise that is all over the place, just would like your opinion based on your experiance.

Thanks in advance

Your XTI ain't cuttin' it anymore?

No, I am using the Denon usually, actually think for the future to some degree and buying a Outlaw Processer and use Crown units to drive it.

For new or newer amps, I prefer QSC over Crown.

That being said, I also really like some of the older Crowns. The top end of the PS series is pretty smooth, and I'm running the "WAF" version of the PS400 - the Powerline 4 - as part of my front active setup, with great results.

Carl.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/74353/732487.aspx#732487

Let me point out this thread that has been copied and printed and hanging on my wall for some time now. Check out what Duke Spinner has to say.

I'm playing with a couple QSC's right now and they are a blast.

Glad to hear that you are still diggin' that QSC PLX 1202. Now, take my advice and start running the Superloz mode of your Peach with those RF-7s.

You won't regret it.

Carl.

All the Crown amps I've heard sound like crrrrraaaap. My first experience with La Scala speakers was with a Crown amp. I had figured at the time that the La Scala speakers were just bad speakers.

It seems to be the case, though, that many Klipschheads have damaged hearing and can't tell good sound from bad sound, so . . .

I just received my QSC PLX 1202 and it sounds very good. I have a question though, does the fan stay on all the time? Kudret

Mine has been running since I bought it from Carl without a fan. Cabinet gets a little warm but that's about it.

Same here. I thought about installing a quieter fan, but then I read an old thread over in the QSC forum where one of the QSC engineers said that it probably would not hurt the PLX I series for home use if the fans were disconnected. Of course, he also stated that he was not recommending that, and that would void the warranty, etc.

So, about six months ago, I unplugged the fan. No problems since. The cabinet does get a little warm like Speedball says but that's about it.

Carl.