solder stations

colterphoto1

Your station should also include one of Lee Tingler's "SolderBuddy" units. These are handy for making your own cables. Take a look:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/67958

I just use a small vice grip pliers, laid flat on it's side, to grip XLR's and 1/4" connectors. Use a curved hemostat to clamp the wire to the connector- works great!

"Make sure you get a Weller product, they are the best."

At least until you try something better. ;)

Shawn

lol, ain't that the truth...

I use MetCal stations on my bench at work and they are amazing...dunno how much they run for though. We used a Hakko in college and it was way better than any Weller I've ever used.

"I use MetCal stations on my bench at work and they are amazing...dunno how much they run for though."

I haven't touched my Weller since I bought my Metcal. I bought a MX500 used on ebay for about $200 and then acquired a bunch of different tips for it as needed.

For those that don't know Metcals big claim to fame is how fast their tips transfer heat. That means the joint is to temperature much quicker and you put less overall heat into the components being soldered. You can also use less temperature in the tip itself as you also don't get the temp. drop when you apply it to the components.

From cold on with any standard tip you can literally be soldering in about 5 seconds from turn on. I've held the ground rings for chassis mount RCA jacks in my fingers while soldering a string of them together with perfect solder joints and the rest of the ring hasn't even gotten warm in my fingers.

Just fantastic tools. I couldn't do the work I've been doing lately without one.

Shawn

From cold on with any standard tip you can literally be soldering in about 5 seconds from turn on. I've held the ground rings for chassis mount RCA jacks in my fingers while soldering a string of them together with perfect solder joints and the rest of the ring hasn't even gotten warm in my fingers.

That is awesome. If I duid this more than a few times a year I would buy one. I use a $100 job (Hako I think) that works well for my purposes but yours is definately worth the extra $100.

Yea, I'm using the MX500 too...it's real handy being able to switch
back and forth between the pencil and talon - and like you say, it
takes seconds to heat up...even with the big flat tips for pulling ICs.
And then the solder flows so fast it's like using a big pair of
tweezers.

Looks like they're about $1k new? [:o]

http://www.techni-tool.com/static-products/metcal/Metcal_MX_500.html

I'm gonna have to watch Ebay for some used ones...at $200 it's totally worth it.

I
also like how long the Metcal tips last. I gotta replace the Wellers
and Hakkos about once a year (and dare I say the Radioshack tips about
once a month), but we've got guys at work with the same tips for like
3-5 years.

The auto-off feature is pretty cool too. It'll detect
when you're not soldering and turn off (like after 5 minutes or
something like that), which is probably why the tips last so long. I
guess they can get away with it when it only takes seconds to heat up
again (which is about the time it takes to get the parts placed and
ready to go).

• 1 year later...

At one time I worked for a US Department of Defense (DoD) Contractor. I was a certified soldering instructor qualified for Navy Weapons Specification WS-6536E,. DOD-STD-2000, MIL-STD-2000, MIL-STD-2000A, and NASA Specification NHB5300.4.

We used METCAL "temperature controlled" soldering irons and tips.

Here is a discussion regarding this very topic:

http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic75430.html

YMMV

At one time I worked for a US Department of Defense (DoD) Contractor. I was a certified soldering instructor qualified for Navy Weapons Specification WS-6536E,. DOD-STD-2000, MIL-STD-2000, MIL-STD-2000A, and NASA Specification NHB5300.4. We used METCAL "temperature controlled" soldering irons and tips. Here is a discussion regarding this very topic: http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic75430.html YMMV

I was wondering for high relibility/mil spec soldering...how crucial/tightly controlled is the temperature? For crossover work I have set my station to 400 degrees for the most part.