Prayers for Dale please

colterphoto1

Michael,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Dale. You've expressed the kindest hopes for him and his family. I'm glad to think of these folks in my prayers.

Thanks for sharing with the forum. I'm glad for your friendship and support for Dale. Hang in there, bro. Losing Dale will be a huge loss to you, too.

Michael,

Sorry to hear of your friends....wow there is just no way to write a comment that souds right on this. My father-in-law passed away from Cancer in 1996...I feel for you Michael I really do. God Bless Dale and his family and God Bless you to Michael. I bid you peace.

Michael,

Sorry to hear of your friends....wow there is just no way to write a comment that souds right on this. My father-in-law passed away from Cancer in 1996...I feel for you Michael I really do. God Bless Dale and his family and God Bless you to Michael. I bid you peace.

You are right there J.4knee... It really is tough to find words at times like these. My step father also passed away from cancer in 94. He was in hospice care at home also, and although better that he was at home, it was still tough to see him go.

Dale was transported home yesterday and is stable considering his condition. About 20 of us went there for a lunch meeting today. We've been hanging at his home every Friday since about last October. It was very touching all the things that were said about this circle of friends and all the support we give each other. (Kind of like here, but sicker yet if ya can believe that).

I'll be going over tonight for his birthday 'party' but I think we got the best visit at noon today. The house will be jam packed tonight and I'm sure he'll be exhausted.

Several of us are planning parts of his tribute. It'll probably be next weekend the way things look now.

I'm sad but Dale is passing full of grace and love. It's really quite beautiful.

Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts.

yer buddy,

Michael

Michael,

Again, sorry that you are losing such a dear friend. I'm just curious, how long have you known Dale and how did you become friends (if that isn't too personal)?

Cancer has claimed my biological father (kidney at age 35) and adopted father (lung at age 45).

You seem to have a tender heart and the ability to reflect on the positive ways your friends/family have impacted your life. There is no easy way to handle such loss; but, i hope that you are able to remind Dale's wife & children how special he was--they will undoubtedly need their spirits lifted from time to time.

Very Respectfully,

Steve

I've known him about 6 years. We're in a kind of a book club with camaradarie similar to what you witness around here. Probably hang out once or twice a week with a bunch of buddies.

Heading over for his party right now. Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear of your premature losses also.

M

• Moderators

I'm sad but Dale is passing full of grace and love. It's really quite beautiful.

What more could a guy ask for, he is lucky to have friends and family like that, thats good to know.

Michael be prepared for what is going to happen, the best you can be at least, it is still a shock when it actually happens. About all you can do is what your doing now, be there for them, your doing good.

God is picking up the pace on this GodSpeed thing.While I was at an event last night, a brother came up to me and was told that if anyone needed to visit they'd better do it right away. He rushed to the house and got a brief visit in. Matt told Dale that he was afraid- Dale opened his eyes really wide (he's kinda dramatic like that) and said WHY? LOL always kidding around, til the end.

Dale's remaining kidney has pretty much shut down and they're moving him back out of the house to a hospice care facilty today. It's a matter of days now. Preparations are being made for his service.

I think I've said my goodbyes, probably best to leave these final days for his wife, kids, brother and sister. Dale's mother has dimentia and is not very mobile, but his brother is bringing her to see Dale one last time today.

Thanks for your prayers. The pain will be over very soon. I think this 'fast track' is probably best. He's expressed that he's tired of the pain. He's ready to go and at peace.That's the truly important part.

Michael

about 20 of us went to his hospice room at noon today, his wife said he was making a comeback of sorts.

I walked in and he said 'ROCKSTAR' (cause my gang around here calls me RockStar). Everybody laughed and we had a great time for about an hour.

Some of the guys had passed around cards for friends to fill out their favorite memory with Dale or to write down one of his many witty 'Dale-isms'. A friend's wife managed them all into a handsome frame and it was presented to him today.

Among the favorites:

Healthy people are an acquired taste.

The common denominator in all my failed relationships is me.

Have you had enough pain yet? (he used to use this one all the time on me)

Never think alone, you're with a crazy person.

and the top Dale-ism:

My brain is not my friend, it is for entertainment purposes only.

I walked in and he said 'ROCKSTAR' (cause my gang around here calls me RockStar). Everybody laughed and we had a great time for about an hour.

Those are the great memories that keeps Dale spirit alive within you forever.. Nobody can take that away..

My thoughts go to you, Dale and his family and loved ones..

Those are awesome "Daleisms", Michael. I'm going to share these with my kids. Through your sharing Dale with us, he is also touching our lives. Thank you!!!

Dale is clearly an important part of your life and others around him. He does this out of selflessness - a great lesson for all of us. When we focus our eyes outward toward others, we lose sight of our own insecurities and frailties, and, in so doing, become a powerful blessing to others.

So Dale's very poignant joke he tells yesterday is really a way to break the ice and get folks talking, it points to part of his condition.

"This guy goes to a party where you're supposed to dress up as a Fruit and an Emotion. He shows up with a robe on, nothing on underneath, but he has a pear strapped to his private area. Someone asks him what he's supposed to be. He says 'I'm ****** Despair)'"- this pear- despair, get it?

He's ticked off that he doens't know where they've taken him (to a hospice care facilty that was agreed upon), but he doens't know where on the map he is. So we tell him. Poetically enough, it's on Payne street.

And he can't just get up and go to WalMart if he wants. (I remind him in my best Rainman dialect that 'WalMart sucks, Dale').

He's taken to enjoying the occasional clove cigarette, which is odd for a triathlete, but I think it helps with the nausea, and no, he's not going to smoke anything stronger. He and an old buddy got caught the night before last by the nurses opening the door to outside, which sets of an alarm and they're giggling about it like naughty schoolboys. Too much mang.

Last night he was up from 2 to 6 and 'danced' with his wife for a bit, however you do that from a hospice bed.

Pretty cool for a guy with a few days to live, eh?