altec 902-8t on khorn

lnmnmarty

Greetings fellow Klipsch lovers. I am a long time Klipsch fanatic and am new to the forum. My question is this....... I have a set of altec 902-8t's I want to try out on my khorns. Where can I find the adaptors for the klipsch 400 horn? Also I seem to remember that the 8 ohm altec drivers will work with the ALK universal networks I have in my Khorns. I just don't know the proper connections to make on the transformer leads (xo1234 etc,). Anybody with experience in this please chime in. Thanks, Marty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 902-8Bs on 511B horns buzzed on bass notes with a 600 Hz 1st order crossover. I was told they would be fine, they weren't. This was at normal lstening levels, say 80 dB.

They are doing well with a 15 dB/octave custom crossover at 1000 Hz mated to a Peavey FH1.

Great Plains Audio says the 8T and 8B are essentially the same.

Yeah, John's right, I experienced the same issue at 600HZ 1st order, light aluminum diaphragm. At first I thought the 902 T might have the symbiotic diaphragm, but looked into it and found it was the 908 that did. It looks like the 902 T has the light diaphragm w/ a loading cap. In any event, not suited for your application.

Although the 902 is a nice driver, I don't think you'll be able to cross it low enough for the khorn, even with an extreme slope on your x-over.

Wrong

Oh, sure... but you don't listen at very high volumes either. [;)]
Bruce

John,

With all due respect, and I do respect your educated audio input to this forum, I must disagree on this one.

Several years ago I contemplated using a 511b/902 crossed low atop a Klipsch reflex bin. From the Altic spec's, I was skeptical about their performance at 400hz. I posted my concerns and S Fogg replied with sweeps indicating the performance of said horns and drivers. I bought new Altec 902's/clones from GPA for my 511b horns. 16ohm diaphragms mind you. Since then, I have used five different networks. First order to extreme slopes crossing from 400hz to 700hz. I hammered them first order at 400hz without a buzz and they were nothing other than better than a K400/K55. Granted, the A/B was by ear. I have never been disappointed with their performance in whatever I have asked them to do, and I do run up the spl's from time to time. I now cross them at a steep 450hz. Still no buzz.

Many are very pleased with this mid/HF combo atop Klipsch bass bins. JWC has listened to the 511b/902 in his home and in mine. Seti runs them in two-way atop his Jub clones and I have listened to them as well. A BUZZ? Not to my ear.

Ask them for a review.

Now don't be shy boys[;)]

Regards,

tc

Mine were GPA clones as well, bought new. There was audible distortion at anything approaching loud levels, crossed at 600Hz, 1st order. Not across the whole range of the driver, but like a hash or break-up on the low end. I remember reading Shawn's comments to Al, saying he crossed them at 500 1st order, played loudly with no problem, and Al replying that that might damage the drivers, and at the least, would not sound good. My experience bears Al's comments out. On the other hand, I'm sure your and Shawn's experiences were that they sounded fine. I can't explain that. My drivers were properly burned-in, and most certainly were not faulty in any way. I guess the only way to find out if they'll be suitable is to try them out and see.

BTW, I agree, they are very nice sounding drivers and work quite well in a two-way set up with a bit of EQ (at least to my taste), although I'm not a big fan of the 511.

Mine were GPA clones as well, bought new. There was audible distortion at anything approaching loud levels, crossed at 600Hz, 1st order. Not across the whole range of the driver, but like a hash or break-up on the low end. I remember reading Shawn's comments to Al, saying he crossed them at 500 1st order, played loudly with no problem, and Al replying that that might damage the drivers, and at the least, would not sound good. My experience bears Al's comments out. On the other hand, I'm sure your and Shawn's experiences were that they sounded fine. I can't explain that. My drivers were properly burned-in, and most certainly were not faulty in any way. I guess the only way to find out if they'll be suitable is to try them out and see.

BTW, I agree, they are very nice sounding drivers and work quite well in a two-way set up with a bit of EQ (at least to my taste), although I'm not a big fan of the 511.

Sounds like our drivers are pretty much the same. I am not saying that you didn't hear what you heard, I just don't understand why. Might be interesting for us to trade drivers for a week or two.

tc

Sounds like our drivers are pretty much the same. I am not saying that you didn't hear what you heard, I just don't understand why. Might be interesting for us to trade drivers for a week or two.

tc

I'd be up for that, but unfortunately I no longer have the drivers. Also mine were the 8 ohm version, so we'd have to deal with the x-over issue as well (not a big deal if your active though). Yeah, I don't know - I wonder what Bill at GPA would have to say about our different results. My filter design experience is nil, so I rely on software. I also made the assumption that the driver is actually a nominal 8 ohms without seeing an impedance trace, but have no reason to believe otherwise.

My problem is, I can't leave well enough alone. I now have a pair of JBL2470's with good phenolics, and an APT200 tweeter. I still need to mount the 2470's to the tractrix, and build a pair of crossovers. Anxious to see how this combo sounds.

Me too, me too!!!!

Terry set me straight a while ago about 902s, and I haven't looked back since. Its true that I am currently crossing mine over at 800hz, but I was running mine at 450-500 hz with 18 db slopes for a little while, without any "buzzing." The 902s do sound better at EXTREME volumes the higher you cross them over on the bottom (at least to my ears), but even at 450-500 hz or so on the bottom - they are no slouch.

Carl.

tc

I'd be up for that, but unfortunately I no longer have the drivers. Also mine were the 8 ohm version, so we'd have to deal with the x-over issue as well (not a big deal if your active though). Yeah, I don't know - I wonder what Bill at GPA would have to say about our different results. My filter design experience is nil, so I rely on software. I also made the assumption that the driver is actually a nominal 8 ohms without seeing an impedance trace, but have no reason to believe otherwise.

My problem is, I can't leave well enough alone. I now have a pair of JBL2470's with good phenolics, and an APT200 tweeter. I still need to mount the 2470's to the tractrix, and build a pair of crossovers. Anxious to see how this combo sounds.

2470s with good phenolics? Have you popped the lids to confirm? If so, we are talking rare - rare.

Let us know what you think.

Carl.

Blvdre and John,

I wonder if the A, B and T designation might have something to do with it? Mine are 902-16A. Guys, not to beat a dead horse, I just hate for someone to be discouraged from trying something that works very well for me and others.

tc

PS: John, great avatar. I actually know what it is!

JC is letting me rent to own his 511B/902 GPA combo and they are staying. You'll have to pry them from my cold dead ears. I didn't expect to like them this much. Perhaps I'm not listening loud enough but I haven't noticed any distortion. I have been working on getting the levels right fpr the LF HF but crossed steeply at 600 hz so far so good. I expected to need a tweeter but I really don't. This week I will be measure each of my autoformer taps so I can decide which to use ont the hf with my jubclone bass bins.

I had a pair of 902-8B's for a couple of years.

used three way initially XO at 400Hz with -6dB slope. Sounded great even at loud volumes.

Then went to two way with ESN XO at 600 Hz. Sounded very good. No buzz, blah blah. Have great midrange. I Would not have hesitation to do it either way above again.

jc

So........What I'm hearing, I think, is that it can be done. Will probably sound better. And the 902's wont go up in a puff of smoke[:'(] . I am contemplating the trachorns with the 902's. I am also contemplating Jubes, but one thing at a time. It doesn't sound like any of you who used the altecs actually used them on the the stock klipsch mid horns. Is it doable? Will the ALK universal network I have get me in the ballpark?

I have read enough from you guys to learn that the k55 driver works very well if you just upgrade to the trachorn or 511. But I do know that the 902's are a very nice sounding driver, and I already own a pair, so...........

I hope this isnt something that has been discussed to death already. So at risk of being a pain I ask those of you who have used the 902's on khorns, how exactly did you do it, and in your opinion was it a good upgrade?

Thanks, Marty