Dumb A** Award to me; call Darwin

USNRET

Posted in the WTB tercel thread but thought I'd share my incompetence here:

I too got my Tercel today. Hurry, hurry, wife has guest from Canada driving in to visit. Gotta do this, gotta do that. Well, I too have something to do...listen to vinyl. Hooked it up, no sound. WTF. Checked power, good. No sound. Checked fuse, good. No sound. Tube faintly glowing, no sound. Call Mark, send email. He's rightly concerned. I switch the Peach over to CD and all is good, no wait no sound from Jolida, switch from Aux 2 to Aux 1 on Peach WHOA, CD music. OK, turntable back on switch; to Aux 2 AAAHHHHHH. I screwed that up in my brain. All is well and sounding sweet. Being new to tubes I thought the Tercel tubes would be much brighter.

My apologies to Mark, I was sweating it!.

You saw my posting in the for sale area about my sccrew up with my BlueBerrry, right? I had close to the same malfunction - the thing was on MUTE! I turned it up 10 times trying to find out what the problem was, then remembered it had a remote and turned off the mute and voila, I heard music. I was prretty pissed too, thinking the shipping gorillas had damged it - I was close to visiting my private box folks and having the "talk" with them...

And what I am hearing now is spectacular - I can't begin to tell you.

Bruce

Almost as bad as when I got my BBX and had Mark on the phone for over an hour only to finally discover that I had 3 pairs of interconnects that wern't making contact !!!! Mark was getting ready to have me ship it back when he said "you got any real cheep IC's like from a VCR " and Viola ......looks like my higher grade Ic's wern't that high end after all!!!

FWIW the BBX I with the 6H30 upgrade is a true thing of beauty, and even better with a revealing cart like a Lyra.......I literally cry and blubber when I here vinyl like "Famous Blue Rain coat", never got to me on my other rigs like the BBX does!!!!!!.......My wife thinks I'm nuts!!!

Anyone who hasn't done anything stupid or at least mildy boneheaded with their audio gear at least once, throw some tube equipment my way. You're lying.

My most stupid, not just boneheaded, was hooking up a cheap high output Rat Shack mixer to a large high current power amplifier powering a pair of small cheap (Advent Marbl) speakers and letting teenagers have control of the volume control.... went over to talk to the neighbor to let me know if they got too load and they (a proud moment) had Aretha Franklin's "Respect" way too loud for those little speakers. His (rhymes with hose) never sounded so good. Our conversation ended with I need to go turn that down before those little speakers get friend and some Sum41. The little woofers lasted about oh, 10 seconds, the tweeters maybe 10 to 15 seconds longer. Though with the Sum41 I wasn't sure if it still sounded good, it didn't to me.

Now I have some Klipsch CA-5T for outside summer duty. No doubt that I'll make sure the amplification doesn't have the abilithy to overpower things and more closely guard the volume controls when there's a remote chance teenages can get to said controls. Probably should find out how to add some amplifier friendly tweeter protection just to be safe....

Almost as bad as when I got my BBX and had Mark on the phone for over an hour only to finally discover that I had 3 pairs of interconnects that wern't making contact !!!! Mark was getting ready to have me ship it back when he said "you got any real cheep IC's like from a VCR " and Viola ......looks like my higher grade Ic's wern't that high end after all!!!

FWIW the BBX I with the 6H30 upgrade is a true thing of beauty, and even better with a revealing cart like a Lyra.......I literally cry and blubber when I here vinyl like "Famous Blue Rain coat", never got to me on my other rigs like the BBX does!!!!!!.......My wife thinks I'm nuts!!!

BIG SISSY[:P]

JOE

Yea Mike, dont you just love it.I have done similar things more times then I would care to admit. I think it's a particularly dark joke guys like us play on ourselves, considering our chosen profession. Somthing about being an engineer just adds salt to the wound of foolishness.

Cornman

Kind of reminds me of the time a few years ago when Craig was walking me through on the phone how to bias the tubes on the Scott 299 that had just arived from him. After about 10 minutes of frustration and nothing happening like he said it should, I asked him if I should have the amp plugged in while doing this! He promised not to tell anyone!

Josh

Kind of reminds me of the time a few years ago when Craig was walking me through on the phone how to bias the tubes on the Scott 299 that had just arived from him. After about 10 minutes of frustration and nothing happening like he said it should, I asked him if I should have the amp plugged in while doing this! He promised not to tell anyone!

Josh

Ok, you win so far! [:$]

Josh

Ok, you win so far! Embarrassed

Ill accept the lead in the clubhouse for the Darwin award thus farbut somehow I think there are more stories out there that could vault someone else into the lead.

josh

Dumb-A@! No.2 here. Spent 30 min. in freezing cold last week dickin with one of the automatic garage doors, before finally giving up and trying to go to sleep. The wife calls the repairman over the following morning to change the motor out. He hit's the button, the unit only makes a buzzing noise,...... he looks down at the safety sensor, then asks me... "How long has that plant been there?" ...... I say what F'ing plant, then my wife speaks up, OH! I brought it in so it wouldn't get freeze.

Paid the man $45 for making a house call, then told the wife her fern plants cost way too much.