Google Street View

fini

Have you guys checked this out? It's awesome! A great way to waste uber amounts of time. They don't have every street in the US photographed (far from it, actually), but it's a great way to preview a new location you're driving to. I've been looking up every address I can think of. Pete, is that you with your garage door open? Your visitor is parked the wrong way on the street...[;)] Sorry if this seems creepy. I promise I am NOT stalking you. Just your visitor...

• Moderators

I had seen that a couple of weeks ago, I had put in our address to see if the pic was updated, it was not. I then noticed the thing that said street view and clicked it. It was a pic from the corner of the property but what was really strange was you can turn the view 360 degrees and look all around as if you were standing there. So someone had to physically take pics in a circle to get a 360 degree view, it's from street level not the satellite view. So they plan on doing this to the whole country, this country has a lot of free time and money for silly stuff. Satellite pic's is one thing they are overhead already why not, but street level pics?

Gregg, I'm having trouble figuring this out. I only get a street plan, no bldgs. Is this a separate software program, or does one have to post their own photos or what? I can get a blurry photo of the top of my house with regular Google Earth.

Thanks,

Larry

Scary stuff. I've seen the cars they use to do this. They have a rotating camera on the roof and drive very slow through your neighborhood. When you put in the address of one of my buddies, he is seen standing behind a lawn mower in front of his house, staring at the camera. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

Jeremy

Larry, it's not part of Google Earth. Go to Google, click on Maps, and punch in your address. In the upper left corner of the map, there should be a little yellow guy. Drag him to the street, and you can look all around, up and down, and move up the street a click at a time (click the arrows in the steet view). It's awesome!

I think they drive a vehicle down the street with an array of cameras on top .... gotta be dumping quite a bit of money for what is silly stuff but it is kind of cool but scary at times as you can sometimes see people I've been told.

Correct...its a vehicle with cameras plastered all over it.

I found my Mustang parked at work, my house, a co-worker's van outside his house. I've seen lots of people with it but no one I've recognized yet.

Hmm, I don't see this as silly.

Well maybe not silly so much, but Fini, please keep your windows closed when you're dancin' in the buff....

Oh yes, always. Trouble is, I dance in the front yard...[:|]

OK, I see, thanks Gregg. Apparently they haven't done my little backwater neighborhood yet, 'cause the little guy keeps leaping back to big, boring Wisconsin ave. It's startling to see how good the neighborhood paparazzi are.

Well they drove by my house while I was out working in the yard, and I missed them. Got a picture of my ugly mug and uglier garage on the web for all to see.

That's not the worst of it, though. Mrs. O does a good 90% of the weeding and lawn prettification, but who's shown on the web, working away? Not her!

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure that the street view is also taken from a sattelite.

From the angle of the photos it is not from the satellite, in the pic's if you look up on an angle your view is from about 5 or 6 feet which would be imposable from a satellite because of the 80' trees behind you the view from the sky is blocked.

Of course ALL of this is just a guess ! [:|]

I found it on Google maps, I put in my address and then clicked on satellite after that came up a little window opened about street view. I tried some other addresses and nothing popped up, why would they have a pic of our street in the middle of nowhere and not of more popular areas ?

Fini was that you dancing outside, and please put some clothes on. [:o]

Scary stuff. I've seen the cars they use to do this. They have a rotating camera on the roof and drive very slow through your neighborhood. When you put in the address of one of my buddies, he is seen standing behind a lawn mower in front of his house, staring at the camera. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

Jeremy

I stand corrected. That has to cost a fortune. Oh well, must be government subsidized.

From the angle of the photos it is not from the satellite, in the pic's if you look up on an angle your view is from about 5 or 6 feet which would be imposable from a satellite because of the 80' trees behind you the view from the sky is blocked.

These pics can only be taken from ground level. Regular Google Earth photos are taken from a high altitude (I have no idea if it's a satellite), and changing the level of view is not possible for mere buildings or streets. If you try, the apparent 3-D effect turns out to be like a 2-D painting, and the perspective of the sides and shadows doesn't change. Buildings and trees appear to flatten out.

This is not true of much larger landforms like mountains, however, and there is a definite 3-D effect as you "fly" Google over mountainous territory. I don't understand the difference or how the transition takes place.

I'm attaching a pic from Google Earth showing an angle view of the Rogue River mountain area where the James Kim family got snowbound in Dec. 2006. This larger view can be generated from straight above or a medium side angle like this. [Edit:] Not from ground level, though. Trying to be at the same level as trees or buildings would make them look like they were painted on the ground.

post-12148-13819455446656_thumb.jpg