Wrapping Klipsch for move

Kriton

Hey all,

I am having to box up and prepare to wrap my speakers for storage and moving to my next gig, and I have taken down my RF-7's and I had the idea of wrapping them in Saran wrap to keep the dust off of them while they are in storage for the couple of months it will take to get the move done - Does anyone have a reason why I should not do this for the time being? I don;t have the original boxes for those, but I am thinking about wraping up my RF-7' before I box them too; any reason I shouldn't?

B

Does anyone have a reason why I should not do this for the time being? I don;t have the original boxes for those, but I am thinking about wraping up my RF-7' before I box them too; any reason I shouldn't?

Mold can sometimes form on things wrapped in plastic. I used to wrap my outdoor lawn furniture in plastic and had to go to storing them in the garage because of a mold problem. Not saying this will happen to the speakers; just throwing it out for consideration.

Frank

Mold - hadn't thought about that - they probably won't be in a non-climate controlled environment, but I guess it would be a possiblity if they are sitting in a humid atmosphere -

Large plastic bags - thought about this but, first, plastic is plastic and if I put them in large bags, like say a garbage bag, then mold is still going to be an issue, as I would tape up the bags, and have a lot of loose bag and it wouldn;t be tight, etc. With the cling wrap ( and I am thinking about using a more industrial wrapping they use to palletize stuff) - the wrap would be clear and tight, holding in the grills and covering the ports tightly, thereby keeping most dirt and dust from entering the speaker enclosure (other than what is there of course). If the wrap is clear I can see what the speaker is and any damage that they must sustain en route, and I can wrap them with the bumper styrofoam (like corners and spacers) inside the cling wrap to make a pretty cocoon like structure. The wrap wouldn't be chafing along the speaker as it would be tight, unlike loose bags or blankets and such?

Keeping moisture off them would be a great benefit, but keeping them dry inside so as to avoid the build up of mold is a definite concern - would a dessicant work, and what kind if yes?

OR should I just wrap them in blankets and hope for the best?

B

I vote for the plastic bag sealed off.... and stuffing with your own laundry or blankets into a box..

Then mark upright... etc etc to protect them. Stereo gear, be careful!

If you know where it is to go in the new place.. mark that on the box too. ie, basement big room.. or bedroom master.. etc.

you could always store them in one of my rooms while you're waiting... I'm sure I could talk the wife into a bedroom system, bathroom system or heck, maybe something for the new addition... I semi-promise to prevent Otis from peeing all over them... [A]

Even with dessicants , eh? I was hoping to be able to wrap them tightly - you know when you wrap an old veneered heritage speaker with a blanket, and you accidental pull the blanket across a veneered edge and the blanket picks up the old veneer edge and peels it back a bit?? That is what I am trying to avoid by wrapping the edges very tightly -

Coy - thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't do that to you (and wouldn't have a problem with you using any of these speakers!) I have way too many of these things and way too little interest in getting rid of them!

I can get these to a climate controlled storage, but this IS Texas - just getting them to the storage facility will entail high heat and humidity - I wish I had the original boxes! Rats!

B

I don't understand all the hating on plastic. When I bought mine new, they were completely wrapped in plastic. Heck, every new speaker I've bought has been wrapped in plastic.

Exactly my thoughts. Every new Klipsch speaker I have bought had a huge plastic bag around it and form corners on them. Good enought for Klipsch good enough for me.

The difference as I have put it out there, is the difference between loose big ol plastic bags (that work very well in tight fitting boxes that can keep the foam corners in) and cling wrap tight fitting all-encompassing completely wrapped plastic around the speakers (such as my RS-7's) to protect them since I do not have the boxes for them any more...I have the boxes for damn near everything else - the 7's and RC-7, etc., but not the surrounds or my big line arrays. I was thiking about just wrapping the hell out of them in saran wrap, keeping them water tight and dust proof - but the issue of mold has been raised - and I cannot guarantee that these things will not be a humid environment - and they will be locked up for at least 2-3 months if not more. And that sucks. Wrapping blankets around them just is not a great solution as I do not OWN enough blankets in my whole house to do the jobs (or sheets either, for that matter).

I have been looking at that loose thin foam sheeting material, but it is flimsy and if scraped against will tear...Just not good solutions except cling wrap but for the mold, which would be an even bigger disaster. How do you all think painter's tape on the laquered black ash surface of the 7's would work, say, to tape down foam corners to the speaker?

B