Tons of Tubes-O-Rama

thebes

... the Village of Charlottesville, a sleepy college town nestled in the foothills of the Shenandoah Valley. Craig was kind enough to share with the information that somewhere near the mountain town of Waynesboro

So Charlottesville is in the Shenandoah!

Pretty little town, that Waynesboro -- George Custer won a definitive battle there on his way to the LBH ....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you guys sure knows alot about tubes, all i know is what ive read about them and replacing them in my ampeg bass amp sure can get costly, and they sure do look pretty all lite up. I could only imagine that many boxes of that many tubes could get out of hand or overwhelming.

nick

Duder, it's a partly a hobby, and partly a means to getting the best sound for your tube amps, preamps and players.

Figuring out what's what is difficult when it comes to the nuances of various tube, manufactures, production dates etc.

For example, had an inquiry concerning some of the 6SN7's to see if I had "Tall Boy" Sylvania's. "Huh?", I say. Look through the box and find two taller than the others and figure, "ah, Tall Boys" Turns out they are 1 and 3/4 inch glass, instead of 2" glass which makes them medium bodied. But they have bottom gettering, rather than chrome tops , side gettering, or top getters. In others words they are very close to something called "Bad Boys" and rare and desirable.

I think.

How the heck do I know.

For now I think I just look at the blue glow of something else I ran across. An Acturus Brand number 27.

post-14801-13819464726004_thumb.jpg

now as long as the plugs have the same style can you interchange them. And for what I under stand its important to keep match pairs per channel,(question why would some one on my ampeg put two different matched pairs and criss cross them, would it balance out the sound but make a difference in balanceness of specs per say) I dont know if that makes any sence, but what you said.

Duder, it's a partly a hobby, and partly a means to getting the best sound for your tube amps, preamps and players.

Figuring out what's what is difficult when it comes to the nuances of various tube, manufactures, production dates etc.

makes perfect since and thats what i love about this hobby, drives me nutts and keeps me busy. I've by meaning of what i said ive learned a little such as somewhat how they work(tube amps that is)but dont quit understand them totaly, and alos picked some comin knowledge of numbers such as 6L6s I thinks is what my ampeg and possibly my peavey amp use. Then there was el34s, 6v6s, and something with an 8 maybe that was a pretube or recitfier. But you guys are throughing out some wierd numbers that ive never herd of. That also makes this more intresting like a mystery in a way when discoverying a new piece to the puzzle. by the way great find if i didnt already say so.

duder

I don't think we have ever met but something tells me I need to start hanging out with you dude. I could have been your designated driver instead of the mule but the reality is that the bottle would have been empty sooner with my help.

At the least I could be a tube roadie. I am not proud...sloppy seconds on the tubes falling out of the box works for me.

Man what a haul that was.

If I had 15 boxes of tubes I'd have to pay twins to roll in them naked. Speaking of which.... What happened to your twins?

You hit that one right on the money Seti. I tossed a couple of boxes on the bed and leaped into and started rolling around. I guess a couple of them must of broke though, because pretty soon I was in kinda a lot of pain. The Twins just shook their heads, gave me their "Boy you area world class dork" look, but soon cheered up when they realized they could wear their nurses uniforms. Or course they haven't learned much using local pain blockers and they simply went to work using tweezers. Despite the pain I do love freshly starched whites, especially with those stockings with the line down the back of the leg.

Holiday. Nice call. Interesting dude that DeForest fellow, as evidenced by this website. The pic with him and his last wife looks kinda creepy though.

http://www.leedeforest.org/

You hit that one right on the money Seti. I tossed a couple of boxes on the bed and leaped into and started rolling around. I guess a couple of them must of broke though, because pretty soon I was in kinda a lot of pain.

It is going to take a while for that image to wash from my mind....

The Twins just shook their heads, gave me their "Boy you area world class dork" look, but soon cheered up when they realized they could wear their nurses uniforms. Or course they haven't learned much using local pain blockers and they simply went to work using tweezers. Despite the pain I do love freshly starched whites, especially with those stockings with the line down the back of the leg.

But that made up for it. Gotta love nurses with proper stockings. Glad the twins are well [:D]

Hey maybe I haven't read all the forum threads but has anyone seen a picture of these twins except thebes?

First he wants to drink up all my hooch on a buddy, buddy trip up to the moun-tains. Now he's after my gals.

No wonder they call him the Professor. It's because he's such a clever fellow. I see through your stratagems, you just trying to get close to me to get your greedy little earbuds on my gals bigger buds.

That's Ok cause I can take the competition. Indeed as you can see by just these two entries, our own LarryC and Henry Watkins, amongst others, have spent considerable face time with The Twins, and as honorable and upstanding gentlemen can attest to their charms and reality.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/72175/708170.aspx#708170

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/64400/630342.aspx#630342

Being still new around these parts, and only coming across the mentioned twins in this thread and maybe briefly in others. I am still confused, maybe to personal to talk about. But are they wives two twin sisters that needed to share, something along those lines. If so man am i jealous.