Mushroom hunting

peshewah

My wife took off work yesterday and went to her mom's house and went mushroom hunting. It was a good day for it. We got rain last weekend so the ground was still moist, cool nights and a good warm day really bring up the mushrooms. They found over 50 morels. They also found some false morels, one was 6" tall and about 3" diameter. They'll sure fool you if you don't know what your looking for. She came home and put them in salt water for a few hours. Popped the stem off, breaded them and fried them up. Man, they were so good. The only way they could have been better is if we had a mess of crappie and ice cold beer to go with them. Now thats living it up.

Once you eat morels, you"ll crave them every spring. But its not just eating them, its the hunt and bragging rights as well. There is all kinds of thing to eat in the spring time. Poke, wild green onions and I think wild asparagus as well. Its alot of fun.

I've picked Morels a couple of times in the Ozarks. Wonderful flavor. Most wild mushroom related deaths are from those seeking out the magic ones but instead get the death cap. It is very common in Europe to pick wild mushrooms for meals. It is hard to believe that about 95% of fungi has not been identified.