A Question Concerning Integrated Amplifiers

I recently purchased a Sony DVP-NC800H CD player to work with my Pioneer VSX-517 receiver. My goal is to supply my Fortes with at least 100 watts each. I think this would improve the bass response, and even though the receiver is rated at 110 watts per ch., I know that is not what I'm getting. Can I add a good quality integrated two ch. amp and run the CD player through it, and keep the Pioneer as my tuner? If it were up to me, I would sell the Pioneer and just stick with an amp and CD player, but my wife enjoys listening to the radio through out the day, and she's going to go nuts if I tell her we need a seperate tuner, seperate pre-amp, and amplifier. Thanks for any suggestions!

I recently purchased a Sony DVP-NC800H CD player to work with my Pioneer VSX-517 receiver. My goal is to supply my Fortes with at least 100 watts each. I think this would improve the bass response, and even though the receiver is rated at 110 watts per ch., I know that is not what I'm getting. Can I add a good quality integrated two ch. amp and run the CD player through it, and keep the Pioneer as my tuner? If it were up to me, I would sell the Pioneer and just stick with an amp and CD player, but my wife enjoys listening to the radio through out the day, and she's going to go nuts if I tell her we need a seperate tuner, seperate pre-amp, and amplifier. Thanks for any suggestions!

Get a preamp/tuner + amp. Adcom, Parasound and others

so then with pre outs it goes...

player, integrated input, integrated preout to external amp input, then speakers?

That would be correct. You would just ignore the power amp in the integrated. You shouldn't need a load placed on the integrated's outputs, it no signal is being fed to it. However, you should check the manual that comes with any piece of gear to see what the manufacturer says.

I don't know how loud you need to go, but I would think a pair of Fortes, considering their high sensitivity, would have plenty of power available from your Pioneer receiver. True, it probably can't deliver it's rated power to seven or even five channels simultaneously, but I bet it can get dangerously close into two channels. Besides, you'll have a hard time finding an "affordable" integrated amp that can deliver substantially more power into an 8 Ohm load.

I would suggest either a powered sub to suppliment your bass, or if your receiver and your Fortes are equipped for it, a separate power amp to bi-amp your speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

even my Khorns need a sub woofer to add power to the low end, especially for movies

Colin, that's because your room sucks. I'm only down 9dB at 20Hz. Most subs can't even touch that.

Colin, I can see where one might need a sub for movies even with the mighty Khorns, but for music too? Of course this is a matter of taste. To each his own. But I'm betting you're using them in a large room. High ceiling?

It's not necessarily the "large room", nor "high ceilings" ~ both of which can be, and usually are a great asset. It's the room proportions, in concert with the room geometry, and of course it's acoustical treatments ~ including the contents that are affecting the production of standing waves, which in turn cause bass attenuation, reinforcement, or cancellation at certain (predictable) frequencies.

I guess I can understand the sub with movies, which in general have exaggerated sound tracks, but with any well recorded music, it's simply not necessary in my situation.

• 1 month later...

If you are using this setup as a 2 channel system, vintage Marantz is the way to go IMHO. My Marantz 2252b took my Forte's to another level. If that does not work for you, I have a 1986 Luxman R-115 stereo receiver(70w/ch) with a killer tuner for sale. Not quite the Marantz but better than most modern 2 channel receivers. 70 watts twenty years ago is give or take 100 watts today. Send me a PM if interested.

Bill