heresy III problem

Hello from Greece,

I just bought a new pair of Heresy III loudspeakers from an eshop in Germany. They arrived yesterday, but one of them doesn't play nothing, its like dead! The eshop told me that sometimes with the delivery the cables inside may be disconnected and that it is nothing serious, i just have to open it and connect them. It also told me that this action doesn't end the guarrantee, as long as i don't change anything inside. What is your opinion about all this? Your answers are highly appreciated!! Thank you!!

p.s: How can i check with the serial number if my speakers are indeed new?

welcome to the forum, i shipped a heresy 3 that i sold on ebay and ups dropped it and it breaks off the mounting brackets for the crossover. i don't know anything about the warranty but you have to remove the woofer to take a look inside. you could e-mail someone at klipsch and see about the warranty.

serial numbers also can be checked with someone at klipsch to see what year they are.

If there is no sound whatsoever, I'd pull the crossover out which is on the back. I think there are 6 screws. Have a look around, it way be something simple.

you have to pull the woofer to get to the crossover don't you ????

Wait, before you take a screwdriver to a new cabinet that is probably under warranty, please give Klipsch a phone call. They are top notch folks.

If you insist on doing something, then do something non-invasive. Since nothing is making any sound, why not use a voltmeter to see if there is any continuity. This would confirm the prime suspect.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Because i have no voltmeter, I pluged some speaker cables in the connectors in the back of the speaker and then connected them with a 1.5volt battery. I expected to hear "pops" or something like that,but nothing was heared. So, what do you think it is?

If there is no sound whatsoever, I'd pull the crossover out which is on the back. I think there are 6 screws. Have a look around, it way be something simple.

you have to pull the woofer to get to the crossover don't you ????

No. Bear in mind that this is a pic of a H2 to H3 conversion, but I think the H3's are built the same (not positive though). Pulling the woofer would give you more of a line of site in the cabinet, but might leave screwdriver marks on the woofer screws and the chance of puncturing a surround. I'd rather go through the back if possible, for cosmetic reasons if nothing else.

post-15193-13819466361184_thumb.jpg

if memory serves me right you pull those 6 screws out of the crossover it will fall inside the cabinet or worse fall against the woofer. i have removed a broken crossover in a heresy 3 last year ( thanks to UPS which no one should ever use for shipping ) thru the woofer. to reinstall i think you have to have your hands inside the cabinet and hold the crossover against the back panel to put the 6 screws back in.

if memory serves me right you pull those 6 screws out of the crossover it will fall inside the cabinet or worse fall against the woofer. i have removed a broken crossover in a heresy 3 last year ( thanks to UPS which no one should ever use for shipping ) thru the woofer. to reinstall i think you have to have your hands inside the cabinet and hold the crossover against the back panel to put the 6 screws back in.

Actually, those six screws attach the connector cup (with the crossover on the inboard side of it) to the outside of the cabinet. The flange around the connector cup is larger than the hole in the back of the cabinet, so it can't fall in. Once the screws are removed, the cup can be lifted away from the cabinet, but there will likely not be much slack in the wires to the drivers. It's best to lay the speaker on its face before removing the connector cup screws.

I thank you all a lot!!!

It is ok though, i went in a friend of mine who is DIYer and knows everything about this stuff and we began fixing it, today we will finish, there was a lot of work to do as the ripped crossover ripped also the cables from the drivers, so we had to open the remove the drivers to see inside. Anyway, everything is ok and today at last it will be working!!