"FLKhorns"

Greg:

I don't know about this. I would think that you would want to extend the back further ot - ala the Jubilee. Klipsch recommends a minimum side wall extensionm of about 24". Making it less than that would reduce the surface area at mouth of horn and presumably impact the bass response.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my comment applies to 60 ann Khorns as well. Is the idea to guarantee a good corner fit? Or to allow them to be placed away from corners. If its the former, then there is a much less cumbersome way to do it but if its the latter, than I perhaps would like to extend the structure so that it ...ahem,...mimick the Jubilee's?

I also think that the more forward facing the mouth of the horn is, a la the Jubilee, the more is sounds like a PA speaker, maybe a little too forward, a little too much in your face, lumpy, thuddy sounding. I'm laughing at myself at these descriptive words. Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

The Jubilees on the other hand have all kinds of strong bass, right out front, solid, deep, authoritative, in your face, bass. Not too much bass necessarily, but they lack the refinement of the Khorn bass. They sound like PA speakers to me, kind of like my MWM's.

Mark it up to a difference in taste, opinion, experience or whatever but my description of the Jubilee LF compared to the Khorn LF is the very opposite of Greg's description in respect to lack of refinement, lumpy, thuddy sounding and PA sound at least in respect to how I think he is using those descriptions. What do the words Refinement and PA sound really mean anyway? Words really are difficult to use to describe our perceptions of the audible for sure.

When the room has been treated to compensate for it's deficiencies and high quality recordings are used the Jubilee LF is a significant and noticeable improvement over the Khorn LF in clarity and accuracy of reproduction IMHO. The AES Paper shows a significant order of magnitude of reduction in 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion in the 30Hz to 200Hz region with the Jubilee LF design versus the KHorn LF design and there is an overall much smoother frequency response with the Jubilee LF versus the KHorn over their bandwidths and this is how I perceive and would describe the differences also.

And for those who might not be aware my understanding is the orginal goal was to extend the upper frequency limit of the Klipschorn's LF Horn and PWK felt the new design offered such a significant enough improvement over his orginal design that it deserved it's own name ie: Klipschorn Jubilee.

mike tn

I don't know why the Jubilee wouldn't have a different name, whether it was better or not, it's a completely different design than the Khorn. I never understood the explanation that the Jubilee was enough of an improvement to deserve a different name.

What's more remarkable to me is that the name Klipschorn was retained as part of the Jubilee name, since the only thing the bass bins have in common is that they are both folded horns.

Greg

I don't know why the Jubilee wouldn't have a different name, whether it was better or not, it's a completely different design than the Khorn. I never understood the explanation that the Jubilee was enough of an improvement to deserve a different name.

My understanding is that PWK's orginal design goal was to change the folding of the Klipschorn to obtain at least a 200Hz(1/2 octave) increase in upper end performance over the orginal design. When the final prototype was done the measured and audible improvements went well beyond the orginal goal and he wanted to signify that in the name.

What's more remarkable to me is that the name Klipschorn was retained as part of the Jubilee name, since the only thing the bass bins have in common is that they are both folded horns.

They both have one very important thing in common and that was they both came from the mind of PWK and as evidenced by the AES Paper(A Revised Low-Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions) he saw it as an evolution of the orginal design that resulted in significant improvements beyond his orginal goal and my understanding again he wanted to signify that in the name.

mike tn

My understanding is that PWK's orginal design goal was to change the folding of the Klipschorn to obtain at least a 200Hz(1/2 octave) increase in upper end performance over the orginal design. When the final prototype was done the measured and audible improvements went well beyond the orginal goal and he wanted to signify that in the name.

They both have one very important thing in common and that was they both came from the mind of PWK and as evidenced by the AES Paper(A Revised Low-Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions) he saw it as an evolution of the orginal design that resulted in significant improvements beyond his orginal goal and my understanding again he wanted to signify that in the name.

mike tn

Well it makes sense to me. It was at least a patentable change, and I think a real advancement in the state of the art of building horn loaded loudspeakers so a new name seems obvious to me. It seems like such a simple design that I'm surprised it was not thought of long ago.

Greg

AHA! What I've been waiting for is now here...some finish on this incredible veneer. It looks phenomenal. 'Tis here, y'all: http://www.dcchomes.com/FLKhorns.html

"Chatoyance" is from the French for 'cat's eye'. It is most commonly used to describe the gemstone we call cat's eye. Guitar builders use it for woods that reflect light back in narrow bands and changes as you change the angle of view. It is apropos for the effect seen in the sapwood sections of the bass bins.

Your work is, as usual, completely jaw-dropping.

Your work is, as usual, completely jaw-dropping.

Thank you!

Yeah, I learned a new word - Chatoyance. It's a great word, I can't stop saying it. I'm using it to describe all kinds of things now. I say it with a very heavy French accent with a hint of Maine drawl.

How ridiculous.

Greg

post-11090-13819476967674_thumb.jpg

Guitar builders use it for woods that reflect light back in narrow bands and changes as you change the angle of view.

This maple looks incredibly 3D. Rotating this guitar or similar, produces some beautiful changes.

post-7149-13819485747194_thumb.jpg

Because of my job I know I haven't been spending as much time on this Forum as I once did, but that still doesn't mean I haven't been reading the threads that interest me. This one interests me particulaly, as these are my Khorns Greg is restoring. [:D]

I just wanted to give props to Greg and give a bump to the thread. Greg's got some new pics loaded on page 4.

Mike