Helpful Hints From Thebesolise

thebes

Ok ,are the girls all out of the room? Good, we men know that despite the propaganda to the contrary, women are really just dirty slobs, and should not be allowed with cleaning implements anywhere near audio gear.

So from time-to-time, I'll be providing helpful hints on how to keep your gear sparkly clean, you toys organized and plants off the speakers.

Now today I have two very nice suggestions, guaranteed to bring a smile to your face and satisfy your inner Mister Clean.

First up. Ever have a problem with musty Conrwalls.?

Well not anymore. Just slide a little baking soda inside the thingamabob down on the bottom of the Cornwall and in a few days mustiness be banned. Now remember don't play your system at over 100db while it's in there or a cloud of white poweder may end up all over the room and on those nice new channel drapes you just bought.

post-14801-13819475248884_thumb.jpg

Now who hasn't experienced this conundrum. A lovely old vacuum tube but it's orginal box is long since gone. Well let's offer up a green (or is it brown) solution. Simply locate an empty toilet paper roll. We used to call them "der ders" when we were kids cause that was the noise we made through them. A paper towel cylinder can also be cut down and used, and wallah, safe storage for your tube.

Not very useful for small tubes or the really large radio tubes, but for you standard octal, they are simple a godsend.

post-14801-13819475249144_thumb.jpg

I suppose you could always use maxi tampon applicators for all of your smaller tubes... Ick!Ick!Ick!

I think the process of emptying the applicator, makes it unfit for this, or anything else. but thanks for the visual.

Guest David H

I think the process of emptying the applicator, makes it unfit for this, or anything else. but thanks for the visual.

LOL......And yet another use for the baking soda.

Now who hasn't experienced this conundrum. A lovely old vacuum tube but it's orginal box is long since gone. Well let's offer up a green (or is it brown) solution. Simply locate an empty toilet paper roll. We used to call them "der ders" when we were kids cause that was the noise we made through them. A paper towel cylinder can also be cut down and used, and wallah, safe storage for your tube.

Not very useful for small tubes or the really large radio tubes, but for you standard octal, they are simple a godsend.

Is this only for rectifiers?

Is this only for rectifiers?

[:D]

Why not just use tube socks?

• Moderators

Now today I have two very nice suggestions, guaranteed to bring a smile to your face and satisfy your inner Mister Clean.

What if I don't have an inner Mister Clean ?

I have a dust farm on most things electronic, until I worry about overheating then I clean, depending on the mood.

Now today I have two very nice suggestions, guaranteed to bring a smile to your face and satisfy your inner  Mister Clean.

What if I don't have an inner Mister Clean ? 

I have a dust farm on most things electronic, until I worry about overheating then I clean, depending on the mood.

Or until Mrs Dtel gets ready to lay the smackdown.... [:D]

why were at it what do you all use for your electrical components, and does any of yous use lemon oil or anything to dust or shine your speakers.

duder

Well at last a civilized question. Those potty minds were making me ready to scream and simply flounce off to another thread.

OK. Windex for glass except for Mac. Swifters to dust around tubes. Old English for most speaker finishes except use BLO (boiled lindseed oil) for...for..., oh my goodness I've simply forgot what it's for. Do a search on that one, plenty of info. That's a good lad.

Windex for glass except for Mac.

What do I use for Mac glass?

James

Right or wrong, I use the distilled water (triple reverse osmosis MoFi) I have for cleaning vinyl and an old sock on my Mc glass

why were at it what do you all use for your electrical components, and does any of yous use lemon oil or anything to dust or shine your speakers.

duder

Well at last a civilized question. Those potty minds were making me ready to scream and simply flounce off to another thread.

OK. Windex for glass except for Mac. Swifters to dust around tubes. Old English for most speaker finishes except use BLO (boiled lindseed oil) for...for..., oh my goodness I've simply forgot what it's for. Do a search on that one, plenty of info. That's a good lad.

OK Ok... sorry about the tampon reference, but seriously, mini pads would work wonders on all of those leaky oil caps! [:P]

• Moderators

We did it on purpose, we just wanted to watch you flounce off, it's just special how you do that. [:$]