What Makes Canada Canadian?

Islander

In honour of Canada Day [<:o)][^][H], here are the results of a recent nation-wide survey in Canada:

When asked which were the two most representative symbols of Canada, respondents focused on the usual answers: hockey, Medicare, and multiculturalism.

Here are the full national results:

• Hockey: 48 per cent
  • Multiculturalism: 36 per cent
  • Medicare: 33 per cent
  • Our tradition of peacekeeping: 27 per cent
  • Charter of Rights and Freedoms: 21 per cent
  • Bilingualism: 18 per cent
  • We're not Americans: 14 per cent
  • None of the above: 2 per cent

No Americans should be offended by some Canadians identifying their country or themselves as "not American".

I remember once in Brazil and some guy in our group said to one of the Brazilians "well your not American". Well the brazilian reminder this guy that he was in fact an American "South American"

So sorry to say but Canada can not get out of being Americans, They are in fact North Americans because they share the same North Americian Contenant that we do.

Steve

What I was referring to is that Canadians are not part of the US, although Europeans often think that anyone who lives north of Mexico is an American, as in US person. We have a different culture and a different history from our friendly neighbours south of the 49th parallel and prefer not to be lumped in with them, since that would mean our identity was absorbed and no-one likes that, no matter how worthy the US may be.

• Moderators

" What Makes Canada Canadian? "

Because they said so. [:o]

To me the most representative symbols of Canada would be the Maple leaf ?

" No Americans should be offended by some Canadians identifying their country or themselves as "not American"."

Not offended, I wouldn't hesitate to say I am not Canadian if someone asked, well because I'm not. [;)]

Happy belated Canada Day! I knew yesterday was the day; how could I not, living so close to the border here in Downriver Detroit, but I just now saw this link.

"What makes Canada, Canadian?" For me, it's the people: You've got a great bunch over there with lots of grit. I am so very proud to call many of you friend, neighbor and brother. I could not see myself living next to any other country, because, next to the US, Canada is the best! -Glenn

post-10177-1381948620086_thumb.jpg

Islander: BTW, I'll sort of be up in your neighborhood next week. The wife and I are flying out to Seattle to spend a week at her cousin's place out on the pennisula in Sequim, which is just east of Port Angeles and right by the Dungeness Spit. That's roughly across the Straits from Victoria, BC. She and her husband are associate keepers of the New Dungeness Lighthouse on the US side and live near by it. We'll give a holler across the water to you; just listen for the echo! LOL -Glenn

• Moderators

" I could not see myself living next to any other country, because, next to the US, Canada is the best! -Glenn "

I would bet most people in Texas would rather have Canada a there border country ? [:o]

• Moderators

Not offended, I wouldn't hesitate to say I am not Canadian if someone asked, well because I'm not. Wink

I am not a female. I hope no females are offended. Left HugRight Hug

Coytee I will come out of the closet and admit I do have lesbian tendencies and thoughts myself ! [:$] does that count ?

Coytee I will come out of the closet and admit I do have lesbian tendencies and thoughts myself ! Embarrassed does that count ?

I once told my lesbian friend that I was an honourary lesbian, but she wouldn't buy it...

Islander: BTW, I'll sort of be up in your neighborhood next week. The wife and I are flying out to Seattle to spend a week at her cousin's place out on the pennisula in Sequim, which is just east of Port Angeles and right by the Dungeness Spit. That's roughly across the Straits from Victoria, BC. She and her husband are associate keepers of the New Dungeness Lighthouse on the US side and live near by it. We'll give a holler across the water to you; just listen for the echo! LOL -Glenn

Lighthouse keepers? I guess they're happy to have visitors, or is the job still as solitary as it used to be?

I'll listen and give a wave when I hear your echo. As it happens, the Port Angeles FM repeater of KPLU (Tacoma), called KVIX (at 89.3MHz) is the jazz station I listen to nearly every day. You might like it.

One thing that makes Canada Canada, which I don't think has been mentioned.

GREAT PRICES ON PHARMACEUTICALS.

For example LOVENOX which is $85 per dose discounted at Walgreens is $23 per dose mail order from Canada.

That is a savings of $62 dollars per dose, (of which two are required daily) no tax and free shipping. That saves over $45K per year.

I'm not complaining, just wondering where do you think I should shop?

God bless Canada!

God save the Queen!

I wouldn't think our pharmaceutical firms would have any incentive to sell their products at deep discount prices, so could it be that there is some extreme greed on the part of some US drug companies?