My new DIY speakers for 2 CH

dtel

• Moderators

A while back we decided to build some speakers for 2 CH so I copied a pair I have in the workshop and made some for the house. I used Red Oak plywood and stained them to match the Red Oak entertainment center and the French doors that are in the living room already, then oiled with BLO. Let me tell you it's a workout oiling 4 MWM cabinets, that's alot of square footage !

The part I built is 4 MWM single bass bins, and the mid and high freq is covered by the K402 horn, it's run using my Yamaha HTR as a preamp (for now) and a EV Dx38 for the active crossover and is powered by 2 Crown D-75 amps at 35 WPC.

It's hard to explain how it sounds without using all the [bs] over used terms which in the end does little. So I will just say they sound HUGE and very clear and if your not careful with the volume can scare you and shake the house. There is no way to tell you were listening to a horn if they were covered, the sound is not coming from a spot you could pick out, I guess because the k402 horn is so big and the bass bins are even bigger. You can walk around the room and unless your standing even with or behind the K402 you hear everything, very wide dispersion.

Mark 1101 who is where I got this idea from, he told me they will rock the house, he was not joking one bit, it's not about loud any speaker can do that, it's about a huge sound and still having bass without turning it up.

Ok I know you like pic's so here is a pic of how the room is set up to give you an idea, behind that pole behind the sofa is 16' more, you can't see, Kitchen/Dining room , the room with the TV and speakers is 24' wide and 18' deep to that pole behind the sofa.

post-11804-1381948852298_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Almost forgot, I need to thank a few people who helped make this possible, like Roy for designing a great horn and the crossover settings to go in the Dx 38, and JWC for the K402 horn and the Dx 38, also Mark 1101 for my first MWM bins I copied and now have in the workshop and the drivers K69 for the K402 horn. The 4 bass drivers are Bob Crites cast frame and do very well.

Also DrWho hot-roding the Dx38 to match better with non commercial equipment, it works great, plenty of blinkey lights like Colter says !

They sound Great, my last speakers, really ! [:P]

DTEL, Congratulations on completing a fantastic project! It does pay to follow through on an obvious momment of insanity (insert smiley face here).

Tell us more about the sweetspot.It sounds like you are getting a good stereophonic spread over a larger (sitting) range than what I would expect. What is your guess on the weight of the cabinet? Also what is the approx distance between the speakers.

Congratulations again,

-Tom

• Moderators

Thanks, it was a moment of insanity on my daughter and wifes part, they heard them play and said " that's what we want " [:P] I just went along, just to please them of course ! [:|][;)]

Well, I keep playing around with pointing the 402 horn because I can only turn the left MWM a little because there is a door on that wall. Also you can see in the pic the horn is slid to the inside side of the MWM, I want to try and turn that left bin a little more toward the center of the room a little if I can, it would only be a few inches but it might help.

The 402 really has a wide dispersion compared to the smaller horns, that what it sounds like to me at least, or it just sounds like more/bigger ? I don't quite have it figured out yet to get a perfect sweet spot that's why I keep pointing the horns at different angles. It's close but the bass bins at a slightly different angle could be affecting that a little.

You asked about the width, there is 11' 6" space between the bins, where your head is when siting on the sofa is 14' from the front of the TV which is about the front of the bins.

When a got my first MWM bin from Mark 1101 it never had a driver in it and I weighed it on a scale and it was 112 pounds, that was also a single bin.

• Moderators

dtel, those look great! And, it is hard to say that MWM can look great in a room. Always no doubt about the sound, but those look great! Probably good to get it thru! Paul

Yes it is good to get thru, well it's not the first plywood boxes in there just the biggest, the cat likes to go walk thru one side and out the other, next time she does I may have to turn it on for a second to run her out so she does not decide to claw a speaker cone.

Congratulations dtel the MWMs look fabulous you must have a interior decorator that lives in the house everything blends!! I have had a teaser owning the JubeScalas. I am trying to get to your level having the MWMs with my 402-69 horns.

Take Care,

Rich

Dtel says: "So I will just say they sound HUGE"

Russ says, That's exactly the right term. Only big speakers can play BIG. Nothing sounds like a big system. If I only had the space........

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Big speakers in a little room still sound better than small speakers in a little room.

• Moderators

Thanks everybody

DrWho it's just a piece of the leftover plywood with a rush job on the paint job because I couldn't wait to hear it. Just as you said I set everything where you said and it works perfect. Thank you

TheEvan anytime you want to hear it let us know. I do need to make some adjustments in the Dx 38 but I have not touched any of the settings, I think it could be even better, one of the room measurement " suitcases" DrWho makes would help with that, I guess that's something I will eventually have to do. I hate to just play with the crossover settings by ear, especially my ears.

Coytee I took 632597 pic's and they just don't blink in the pic's and I take the pic just as it blinks ? [:$] If you like the room you would love my dust collection on the top and back of everything electronic or the speakers, I am responsible for cleaning that part and apparently I am not that responsible !