My new DIY speakers for 2 CH

dtel

I dig the amp rack

I don't see no stinking blinky lights in that rack Huh?

Are you for real? [:o]

Actually, I'm kinda curious about something Dtel....are you able to get the red lights on the D75's to light up? What if you crank their knobs up all the way?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Actually, I'm kinda curious about something Dtel....are you able to get the red lights on the D75's to light up? What if you crank their knobs up all the way?

I never went past 3/4 on the D75's but if I turn the pre-amp up with the amps set at half/straight up I can get a red blink on the Dx.

Once I seen a flash of red on one of the D75's when it was set at 3/4 and the sound volume was crazy loud, I will check the db's next time when no one is home. I know what 100-105 db's sound like and it sounded louder than that, and it was still perfectly clear. I listen probably around 75-85 db's on average when I have it turned up which is not that long, normally I just have where you can walk around and still talk. It's a good thing I did not have these speakers when I was young, I would be deaf now !

What's strange is after I did that I turned it down to what sounded low and walked outside, when I came back in a couple minutes later it sounded louder than when I walked out, your ears adjust quickly to volume.

If you're gonna crank it crazy loud, then you would probably be better off with the amps cranked up all the way. The amps will be designed to clip nicely, where the Dx38 is gonna sound nasty if you clip it. Of course you'll need to turn down the preamp a notch or two first.

Speaking of which, which preamp did you end up with?

Btw, your room looks very homey, even with those big speakers in there. I love the contrast of colors you've got going on in there.

• Moderators

Ok I will do that, I will try them like that, I am still using the Yamaha RX-V730 as a preamp thru the pre-outs.

When I have the D75's at half volume and lets just say at 60 db, then turn it down and set the D75's to 3/4 then turn it back up to the same 60 db's it sounds better, more dynamic or something but better for sure.

Did I say that correctly, at the same db's of volume it sounds better the more the D75's are turned up, it's like it's using more of the power from the amps and less of the volume from the preamp, and has a much better sound, that's why I have been running them at 3/4.

Thinking like that with the D75's turned up all the way the pre amp has to put out less which is better. Makes sense ? It does sound better, I just was not comfortable with them all the way up but the more I think about it the more I want to try it.

Love it Dtel! Just totally awesome.

My wife commented after seeing the picture, so what do they do, have it on half of one? She thought the room looked very cozy.

I can relate to the over the top volume levels and clean clear sound you are experiencing.

Greg

Honestly, the "BIG" sound you get from MWM's is almost impossible (for me at least) to describe to others. You just have to experience that sound. Makes my other speakers (including Khorns) sound like "little speakers".

Bob Crites

DTEL, a comment and a question.

Is the stack a single cabinet or 2 cabinets placed on top of the other?

This comment is a bit strange. When I look at the photo of the room and the way the cabinets are integrated, they actually do not look all that large. Is anyone else seeing them as "disappearing into the room"?

• Moderators

DTEL, a comment and a question.

Is the stack a single cabinet or 2 cabinets placed on top of the other?

This comment is a bit strange. When I look at the photo of the room and the way the cabinets are integrated, they actually do not look all that large. Is anyone else seeing them as "disappearing into the room"?

It's 4 singles, it's MUCH easier to handle that way, still about 112 pounds each without the driver. There is a big piece of that felt stuff that goes under that kind of flooring between the floor and the bass bins, they slide pretty easy.

That giant TV and stand kind of helps to make them not the only large thing in there,...I guess? The 3 little speakers across the front are forte ll's, behind that beam, behind and above the sofa is 3 more forte's for the rear facing down on an angle.

I don't know about the disappearing thing [:o] I had thought about building a frame around the 402 horn from Red Oak and on the front of the bass cabinets like a frame for grill cloth but Christy likes the way it looks especially the top horn, so until we get tired of this look they stay as they are. I may just build a Red oak frame for the 402 just to cover that flat part with the bolt holes but leave the horn open.

Greg

" My wife commented after seeing the picture, so what do they do, have it on half of one? "

Not sure what she is talking about but if it's what I am thinking, I have to get a Cd with plenty of bass !

• Moderators

It's amazing how good they look in the room. Can't help but keep coming back to the photo.

Well done!

Yes

Stormin I feel like that guy in your Avatar.

All I did was the speakers, the wife and daughter picked out everything else from one of them color chart things which shows which colors go together, then they went nuts and redone the whole room and connecting two rooms including floor molding, furniture and paint, everything but the ceiling.

All I did was the speakers, the wife and daughter picked out everything else from one of them color chart things which shows which colors go together, then they went nuts and redone the whole room and connecting two rooms including floor molding, furniture and paint, everything but the ceiling.

Great family teamwork.

Crown amps and Dx 38.

First, dtel, your room is beautiful and very well-put-together and I'm sure the system sounds great. My compliments to you and your helpful decorating committee.

Second, it is remarkable to me to see all those lights lit on your Dx38 with the knobs turned all the way up. I've got the input knobs and the output knobs on mine all set at the 12 o'clock position (straight up) and the lights come on only at really loud levels and even then, it's only the bottom ones flicking on musical peaks. If the bottom 2 lights come on, the volume has to be at deafening levels, which is really rare and only for a few seconds, so unbelievers can see how just how much headroom the system has.

Are you getting less noise and more detail with Doc Who's mod? I wonder if it would be a good idea with the high-power amps I'm using?

Thinking like that with the D75's turned up all the way the pre amp has to put out less which is better. Makes sense ? It does sound better, I just was not comfortable with them all the way up but the more I think about it the more I want to try it.

Most power amps don't have any volume controls, so they're in effect all the way up all the time, with the pre-amp controlling the overall or actual speaker volume level. Each volume control in the chain may add its own little bit of distortion, so it's probably best to adjust the volume with a single control and leave the others all the way up.

Most power amps don't have any volume controls, so they're in effect all the way up all the time, with the pre-amp controlling the overall or actual speaker volume level. Each volume control in the chain may add its own little bit of distortion, so it's probably best to adjust the volume with a single control and leave the others all the way up.

I like the logic . Allways been curious and leary about the multiple controls on the pro amps . Your reasoning makes sense to me and I just may try pro amps in the future .

Fine for now though .