Hurricane season is fast approaching

Dflip

The potential Erika has moved up a category to orange and shows signs of intensifying.

"A TROPICAL WAVE IS LOCATED OVER THE FAR EASTERN ATLANTIC OCEAN ABOUT

350 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. THE ASSOCIATED

SHOWER ACTIVITY CONTINUES TO SHOW SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION...AND SLOW

DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS

AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THERE IS A MEDIUM CHANCE...

30 TO 50 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE

DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS."

Danny has been downgraded to a tropical storm at the moment, including when it hits Nova Scotia. It continues to track more eastwardly in Nova Scotia and hopefully continues this path where it's edge will hit the province, instead of what's left of the eye.

post-6396-13819498986938_thumb.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as she follows the path of the other two, I won't have a problem with her.

Me either , just another weekend of good surf . BTW Even though we here on the SE coast have the potential of a direct hit , you folk living around the gulf area are truely a hardy breed .

I talked with Marshall a few weeks ago. He said he's giving "covered up" a whole new meaning.

Getting ready for hurricane season is among the things on his plate. He's also hoping to retire in the near future and training a replacement is a top priority and time consuming, too.

He sounds OK and wishes all his forum buddies well.

BTW, he sent a pair of Heresy II grills he had fabricated and covered. Tony Reed and I were inspecting them and had a hard time distinguishing them from an OEM pair. His work on these things is near perfection,.

Finally made it back! Been working and conducting training, ops etc. since mid-May. Last weekend was the first days off. Slept and tried to clean up the jungle that used to be my house. Off to clean up the garages and workshop, ec this weekend.

Hopefully we won't have too bad of a season. El Nino is pulling them across central America and the Bermuda "High" is not deep enough down so most of them (so far) will do the northeast turn in the Atlantic.

Couple of pics from the highlights of the summer.....

Groomie, nice to see you back. I'm go on a short holiday just before school starts back up on Wednesday, so I won't be posting for a few days. I will leave it up to you to post on any changes in the hurricane outlook. It's been a very mild year so far, sort of the like the summer here in Toronto. I think we've had six days that in the past we would truely have called summer.

Danny seems to be winding down and is really just a rainmaker of the eastern seaboard. It's now raining outside the church in Boston at the end of the Ted Kennedy funeral and will probably cancel out the Red Sox vs. Jays game.

The other system in the Atlantic is a bt less threatening today, but it still has a long way to go with warm water between it and the Caribbean. It could still reintensify.

post-6396-1381949900999_thumb.gif

It's that time of the year for South Florida where every "blip" on the radar screen poses a threat... The NHC believes that the benign system currently scooting in our direction poses some risk, so.....

SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY HAS INCREASED IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED ABOUT 1075
MILES EAST OF THE LESSER ANTILLES. THIS SYSTEM IS SHOWING SOME SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION...AND ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT AROUND 15 MPH. THERE IS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 TO 50 PERCENT...OF THISSYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. INTERESTS IN THE LESSER ANTILLES SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

The latest update before I go on a three day vacation. The storm in the Atlantic has intensified. It should be interesting to see what it looks like when I get back. Probably a good chance that it will at least have a name and may be significantly stronger. Labour Day is approaching and this storm looks like it fits that general time frame.

According to the projected paths that Marshal just posted, most hurricanes this year are being subjected to the push to the north this year once they hit the leeward islands. As a result they are getting caught up in the Gulf Stream and carried into the North Atlantic, which has been a good thing so far.

post-6396-13819499052748_thumb.gif

If you are wondering about the computer acronyms.....

XTRP - Extrapolation using past 12-hr motion (NHC)
TVCN - Consensus of GFS, UKMET, NOGAPS, GFDL, HWRF, GFDN, and ECMWF models (replaces old CONU model)
NHC - National Hurricane Center official forecast

BAMD - Beta and Advection model, deep (NHC)
BAMM - Beta and Advection model, medium (NHC)
BAMS - Beta and Advection model, shallow (NHC)

GFDL - Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL) model
UKM - United Kingdom Meteorological Office (UKMET) model (Developmental)
NGPS - United States Navy Global Atmospheric Prediction System (NOGAPS) model

AVNO - NOAA Global Forecast System (GFS) model (formerly known as the AVN/MRF)
AEMN - NOAA GFS Ensemble Mean
HWRF - NOAA Hurricane Weather and Research Forecast (HWRF) model

CMC - Canadian Meteorological Centre (CMC) model
LGEM - NOAA Logistic Growth Equation Model (LGEM)
CLP5 - CLImatology-PERsistance (CLIPER) model 5-day (NHC)

The latest update before I go on a three day vacation. The storm in the Atlantic has intensified. It should be interesting to see what it looks like when I get back. Probably a good chance that it will at least have a name and may be significantly stronger. Labour Day is approaching and this storm looks like it fits that general time frame.

Labor Day has bad memories around here.... Hurricane Frances, Wilma, etc. $30K damage to my house from Frances.

Have fun on your vacation and I'll follow the swaths of potential destruction until you get back!!!