Mud Bugs!

Brac

Do NOT wipe you eyes while eating, if you do you won't do it a second time.

You left out the most important. Be very careful when you go to the bathroom [:S] I made this mistake cutting Tabasco Jalepenos and Habeneros peppers. I've never been in so much pain in the wrong place.

• Moderators

Crawfish or shrimp boils aren't parties they are events. Cool

Anything with food is an event for me, that's why I weigh the most now that i ever had, trying to fix that but I love food !

That's why when you and Dee get together to go eat BBQ I can't hardly look at the pic's, BBQ or even more smoked meats is one of my favorites, but I have alot of favorites. [:P]

Michael thanks...but that pic is just making me hungry, like I need help I stay hungry. Christy gives me a hard time because I wake up thinking what I can cook that night.

• Moderators

Catch last night was minimal, gonna move the traps to new locations.

They move around, if they have any smaller ponds or ditches close they could be there.

If all else fails you live in Maine substitute Lobsters ! [H]

• Moderators

Do NOT wipe you eyes while eating, if you do you won't do it a second time.

You left out the most important. Be very careful when you go to the bathroom Tongue Tied I made this mistake cutting Tabasco Jalepenos and Habeneros peppers. I've never been in so much pain in the wrong place.

Thats funny seti, I found out when I was about 15 to be careful.

My Dad and I were helping a friend work on his house and i didn't have a shirt on and spilled some paint on my stomach, so they gave me a little cup with some gasoline in it and told me to use a rag with a little gas and wipe it off. It didn't come off easily so like a 15 year old I poured a little gas on, and gravity took care of the rest ! [:o] It BURNS, the house was on the lake and that's where I jumped, and it didn't help much, I will never forget that.

For anyone that might be interested, I have used these folks several times: www.lacrawfish.com

I have never been disappointed in either their live or flash frozen crawfish. The frozen ones have been boiled and they do a pretty decent job of seasoning them although I do tend to add a bit more seasoning (read - heat) when I re-boil them. Their crawfish boil is probably the best pre-packaged mix I've found and is what I use when I don't feel like concocting my own brew (which BTW is very similar to dtel's). The things I like most about these folks is their customer service and the overall size of the crawfish they ship.

And for folks that think eating them is too much work, I have this to say......you need lessons in how to peel them. I can go through 10 pounds in no time. In fact, I can peel a crawfish just as fast as I can a boiled shrimp. I'm also pretty good at picking a blue crab, but my Mom can still kick my butt. Growing up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast you learn to pick/peel fast or go hungry. And speaking of shrimp....

At the end of last July, the wife & I went to see my parents on the Gulf Coast (Pass Christian) and while there we went down to the local harbor to see how the shrimping was doing. What we saw made us head for the closest ATM. We brought back home 70 pounds of shrimp because we got 25-30 count shrimp for $3.00/pound and 20 count for $4.00/pound. There were also some 10-16 count shrimp for $4.50/pound. Those who know what these counts mean know that a 10 count shrimp is one big @ss shrimp. We also got a dozen very nice size blue crabs for 10 bucks for my parents (my Mom loves them). We just couldn't get over how cheap the seafood was not to mention how good it tastes fresh off the boat. Those shrimp from overseas have no taste IMHO. A Gulf of Mexico brown shrimp - now that's good eats.

Tom

We do low country boils here in Athens every once i a while or a shrimp boil. All the same really. Comes out looking like the photo Mike posted.

We've used Old Bay, Zatarain's, and Lousiana in the past. They are all good. Zatarain's wil spice you up a little more than Old Bay.

Boils are good eating.

We did 100lbs. back in the spring. My wife is a Thibodeaux from SW La. Dtel has pretty much given you the secret recipe. That's about how we do it. Only fresh cut lemons will do for us though. You should start with a few lbs of cracklins as appetizer though. If in Dtels area I just go to "Dockside" eatery and order 3lbs of fresh steamed.

I have heard not to freeze em fresh. Something about bacteria or toxins in the meat? Anyway, you can keep em alive for a few days while you stock up. We have placed a damp towel over them for up to 3 days in cool weather. If you could get 10lbs together that would be a nice little batch for 2 or 3 people.

• Moderators

I don't know about freezing but when you buy them the sacks are kept in a walk in cooler, and there are alot of sacks, enough where it would take them maby a week to sell and they stay live. So a refrigerator should keep them for days easily I would think.

So believe it or not, my lake here in Maine has lots of Crawdad! I have tried to cook them a few times, but I just can't get that great spice I love from down south. Anybody know how to make it, or have a source for it?

I'm getting ready to put the traps out again, and want these to come out like I bought them in the Bayou!

I have just gotten back from Louisiana, I've benn down there for about 5 months total. I was staying at a place 7 miles from Kevin Harmon.

Kevin had me over to his Mom and Dads (Sonya & Ernest) for 3 boils, it is a major family and friends gathering, and his dad usualy does like 3 or 4 sacks!!

Kevin was born and raised on these gatherings, and his dad has it down to a science. They even had a big custom table built only for peeling them that has a large hole in the center and fits a extra large industrial sized garbage can underneath it,for all the hulls.

I'll tell you one thing, if you weren't raised on these, Kevin can peel and eat 50 before you will get 5 or 10 done, there is a special nack to it, as well as catching them at the propper time in their molt cycle.

I was raise on fresh shrimp right off the boat in Florida, but Mud Bugs are much more tender, even more so then lobster, and I ate in the restaraunts down in Louisianna as well as a large commercial boil, and they cant touch a gathering of the Harmons, let alone such a wonderful family!! [:P] [:P] [:P]

Give Kevin a call, (337)-298-4773

He is one of the best people I have ever met, forum or otherwise, and I am proud to call him my buddy!!

Roger

So, I'm not having any luck getting the amounts I need, only catching a few pounds a night. I am thinking Of freezeing them as I catch them and stock up till I have 20-30 pounds.

Any thoughts for or against?

Don't do it! The fat in live crawfish will separate when thawed after being frozen, ruining them. If you boil them you can sucessfully freeze the peeled tails by putting them in a ziplock and adding enough water to cover them, thus avoiding freezer burn. If you cook a dish using them, that can be frozen and will keep for a few months OK. Crawfish are really out of season now and it may be a challenge to catch enough to be worth boiling.

• Moderators

So, I'm not having any luck getting the amounts I need, only catching a few pounds a night. I am thinking Of freezeing them as I catch them and stock up till I have 20-30 pounds.

Any thoughts for or against?

Don't do it! The fat in live crawfish will separate when thawed after being frozen, ruining them. If you boil them you can sucessfully freeze the peeled tails by putting them in a ziplock and adding enough water to cover them, thus avoiding freezer burn. If you cook a dish using them, that can be frozen and will keep for a few months OK. Crawfish are really out of season now and it may be a challenge to catch enough to be worth boiling.

I don't think they have a season for crawfish in Maine. [:o]

Brac,

I'd be concerned about freezing em fresh.

My buddy who introduced me to crawfish years ago warned me not to eat the ones with the straight tail. Dropping them live in to boiling water their tails curl under.

You can pick out the ones that died first because their tails are straight. I'm not an expert, just took the warning from my buddy.

Dtel is the really experienced crawfish man here, though. If that warning doesn't sound familiar to him, I wouldn't worry about it.