Belle's !!!!!!!

tom b. 57

I finally fell across a killer deal on a pair of Belle's.

Three catches.

1) They are both Oak, but, one is oiled and the other clear. Needless to say not sequential serial #'s. S/N 265394700 and S/N 201490798. I think this makes one made in 94' and the other 90', if I read the date codes correctly.

2) They both seem to have blown tweeters. I will replace the diaphragms or replace complete tweeters. Either way should not be too much trouble.

3) They are not perfect. Some dings and chips, but, nothing that stands out. They are all small blemishes, a few of them are on edges.

They are a bit dirty, so they will need a good cleaning. Small price to pay for picking them up for $650.00.

I am jazzed about these babies.

I would have loved Brazilian Rosewood or some other exotic veneer, but, can't have it all.

What is the best product to clean these with and strip the old oil off so i can try to get them to look the same. I have never worked with wood before so I really don't know what all I need to do to refinish them both so they can match. The wood grain isn't too far off, so, if I can get them the same shade of oiled oak, I will be happy.

Any thoughts on procedures about how to acomplish this? Any input will be appreciated.

Tom

For the price ($650.00) asssuming you can replace the tweeters easily and they are otherwise in good working condition you can't go wrong. Re refinishing them, If I were you with nil wood experience I'd pay a professional furniture refinisher. Just guessing that that would cost perhaps considerably more than your purchase price but you'd have a sleek appearing pair of Belles as a result. New ones are no longer being produced so you'd have a collector's item. I imagine others on the forum will suggest crossover upgrades, etc. But especially if there is WAF involved I would go with the refinishing first and then live with the speakers for a while before upgrading the electronics. Visually the Belles are not Klipschorns but they are very good looking speakers in their own right and you'll love 'em. Consider adding a subwoofer.

I cleaned these puppies up a little bit and to my surprise most of the mars and rubbed spots on the cabinets were just dirt and what ever else adhered to the veneer.

They look quite nice now.

I'm glad I don't own any cats. I would hate to think about cleaning all the cat hair off the grills. I fear it would be a never ending task.

I'm glad I don't own any cats. I would hate to think about cleaning all the cat hair off the grills. I fear it would be a never ending task.

Cheap lint roller , no problem .

Yeah, I guess that would work alright.

I know how cats are. I would have to relinquish ownership to them.

They do want to run things, you know!

All joking around aside , you would be hard pressed to find a nicer pair of speakers for the price ! Blown tweets easy and cheap fix , non sequential #'s who cares ! Be carefull though , you may find yourself listening at higher levels and may not realize how loud the level actually is .

I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to use these beauties for a couple of weeks due to the lack of tweeters.

I disconnected the tweeters from the crossover and hooked up a pair of peizo driven Conradial horns that I had sitting around not being used for anything and now I have Belle's to listen to. I"m sure they don't sound near as good as the drivers that these things were designed to incorporate, but, they don't sound half bad.

These will have to do until I get the K-77's back in business.

Yee Haw!

Cats prefer Belles 9 to 1 over Klipschorns , just sayin' .

How true!!! As a member of my daughter's "kitten support staff"... I removed the four grill pieces from the pair in the man cave just to get rid of that "temptation". Interestingly, the kitten has no interest in the Cornwall grills in the living room (?!?). She has a catnip scratch box that she uses every few hours and that seems to be just fine. But the minute I find a claw mark, the party's over!!! and little "Precious" heads outside with the rest of the barnyard animals.....

I have three cats, or they have me, or the wife kept adding while I was away on business..............................Either way

Curiously they have not "found" the Cornwalls or the Forte II 's. God knows they have found everything else.

They both seem to have blown tweeters. I will replace the diaphragms or replace complete tweeters. Either way should not be too much trouble.

Why not go for a pair of Bob Crites's CT125 tweeters? They definitely sound better than K-77s and they're not that expensive.

They both seem to have blown tweeters. I will replace the diaphragms or replace complete tweeters. Either way should not be too much trouble.

Why not go for a pair of Bob Crites's CT125 tweeters? They definitely sound better than K-77s and they're not that expensive.

Agreed. Bob's tweeters sound quite a bit better than the K77s, and at times, I prefer Bob's tweeters to the JBL and Beyma alternatives.

Welcome to the Belle club. I'll never sell mine.

Enjoy.

Carl.

They both seem to have blown tweeters. I will replace the diaphragms or replace complete tweeters. Either way should not be too

Agreed. Bob's tweeters sound quite a bit better tha

much trouble.

Why not go for a pair of Bob Crites's CT125 tweeter

s? They definitely sound better than K-77s and they're not that expensive.

n the K77s, and at times, I prefer Bob's tweeters to the JBL and Beyma alternatives.

Welcome to the Belle club. I'll never sell mine.

Enjoy.

Carl.

I've talked with Bob about the diaphragms. I would be lying if I said the thought of Bob's tweeters hasn't been on my mind. I guess I just need to get past the idea of keeping them original. Bob told me that his tweeters actually go to 20,000hz, which is better than the original at 17,000hz.

I called Bob the same day I picked them up. I know that he is the go-to-guy when it comes to upgrades. And yes, his prices are very reasonable and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy.

Any ideas on how to oil the Oak Clear one to match the Oak Oiled one?

This is a dream come true for me. I have been lusting for a pair of Belle's for a pretty long time

Tom

"I've talked with Bob about the diaphragms. I would be lying if I said the thought of Bob's tweeters hasn't been on my mind. I guess I just need to get past the idea of keeping them original. Bob told me that his tweeters actually go to 20,000hz, which is better than the original at 17,000hz"

Tom

I understand your thoughts of original configuration but these are not matched serial #'s or finiches so the CT-125's would actually make them better than original if your not planning on selling them[;)] Just a thought[:D]

"I've talked with Bob about the diaphragms. I would be lying if I said the thought of Bob's tweeters hasn't been on my mind. I guess I just need to get past the idea of keeping them original. Bob told me that his tweeters actually go to 20,000hz, which is better than the original at 17,000hz"

Tom

I understand your thoughts of original configuration but these are not matched serial #'s or finiches so the CT-125's would actually make them better than original if your not planning on selling themWink Just a thoughtBig Smile

And you could keep the originals in case you wanted to return them to stock condition to sell them.

And yes, this is another vote for bobs tweeters.

I have them in my Heresy's and they really are a nice improvement over the stock K77