OMG, MY DREAM AMPS...... Pair of Marantz Model 2's

Gilbert

Gawd I love these amps! Been looking and pokin' at them on audiogon, ebay, anywhere they'd surface for years. So rare, so hard to find in this kind of condition. And though I seriously doubt their not in need of some technican TLC, I'd love to get them.... oh shyt, wake up.

Oh well, dream on. Price is too high.

Arguably the best tubed mono's Marantz ever made, the Model No.2. gimme, gimme, gimme....

These float my boat quite well, thank you.

post-12381-13819500012062_thumb.jpg

You dream proper. I used to have four of them - two with white meters and two with gold. Selling them, along with the matching One preamps and Six sidecar was the biggest audio mistake I ever made. But hey, it was the eighties, everyone was telling me parts and tubes would be unavailable, the caps were a quarter century old and not available at the time, and the only repair guy I knew who understood them was getting out of the business. Plus, with the Dahlquists I had at the time, the Audio Research D-75 seemed to sound better.

They were great amps - headroom for days, a little soft on the top end, but loads of punch. The 8b (and presumably the 9a) seemed more detailed but the 2 sounded more "real." A great match for Klipschs. If you didn't mind the loud pop, and could keep from getting burned, you could switch between triode and ultra-linear on the fly. I could never tell much difference on the variable damping, so I usually just left it bypassed. The three inputs were nice, too. The "Preamp" had lower gain than the other two, and had a high-pass (20 hz.) filter on it. With the test input, it was more or less flat down to 2 hz (!) It could actually throw good two hertz square waves, if you didn't mind the loud clicking noise coming from one of the transformers and the way the amp slightly hopped.

There hasn't been a week that I haven't regretted selling them.

Oh, yeah. The 1974 prices - Marantz 2 = $60 each, Marantz 8b = $100, Marantz 1 = $50, Marantz 6 = $20. At least I was smart enough to keep the Marantz 7 and the Scott 330d with the Marantz faceplate.

Something to lust after for sure, but these are not the finest examples out there. Notice the discoloration on the right had amp and the rear cage in the pictures. Following that offensive trend in ebay postings, a "less is more" description. What I don't say can't be held against me. Let your eyes get big, ignore the flaws, and when a piece of crap arrives, well gee the picture was right in front of you.

I suspect these are two monos acquired from different sources. Minimum question would be serial numbers, and I'll bet you big money he won't post the reply to that question in the body of the listing. Second question would be could you show a pic of the underside of both amps. For $7k you should have undersides of both amps, and tons of closeups of the exterior.

Sorry guys but ebay has gotten so scummy there is little to trust there anymore. In pristine condition, with a forthcoming seller. they might be worth $7k. I suspect that's why the supposed "Hong Kong guy" backed out. He sobered up and realized he was being ripped off.

Besides, I never pay any more than $50 for Marantz tube gear.

You dream proper. I used to have four of them - two with white meters and two with gold. Selling them, along with the matching One preamps and Six sidecar was the biggest audio mistake I ever made. But hey, it was the eighties, everyone was telling me parts and tubes would be unavailable, the caps were a quarter century old and not available at the time, and the only repair guy I knew who understood them was getting out of the business. Plus, with the Dahlquists I had at the time, the Audio Research D-75 seemed to sound better.

They were great amps - headroom for days, a little soft on the top end, but loads of punch. The 8b (and presumably the 9a) seemed more detailed but the 2 sounded more "real." A great match for Klipschs. If you didn't mind the loud pop, and could keep from getting burned, you could switch between triode and ultra-linear on the fly. I could never tell much difference on the variable damping, so I usually just left it bypassed. The three inputs were nice, too. The "Preamp" had lower gain than the other two, and had a high-pass (20 hz.) filter on it. With the test input, it was more or less flat down to 2 hz (!) It could actually throw good two hertz square waves, if you didn't mind the loud clicking noise coming from one of the transformers and the way the amp slightly hopped.

There hasn't been a week that I haven't regretted selling them.

Oh, yeah. The 1974 prices - Marantz 2 = $60 each, Marantz 8b = $100, Marantz 1 = $50, Marantz 6 = $20. At least I was smart enough to keep the Marantz 7 and the Scott 330d with the Marantz faceplate.

NIce, thanks. I'm not in the market for any new\used gear, funds are relatively tight right now, new house and all. Still holding mortgage on Oklahoma house, otherwise, I'd probably go ahead and buy them, even though their well over priced, IMHO. $5k I'd do for sure, but $7k...nah.

Makes you realilze what a steal Mark's P-Cats were. Being even more rare, I can see them going for 10K+ down the line.

Z'nX

Marks preamps were/are kickasss for sure. Craigs VRD's are a darn good match up to Marks Pre's. Don't know what I'm gonna do if my BBExtreme goes bad.

What do you do when the Marantz goes bad?

Its all just electronics. I guess, find a local rocket scientist.

Z'nX

Makes you realilze what a steal Mark's P-Cats were. Being even more rare, I can see them going for 10K+ down the line.

Z'nX

Marks preamps were/are kickasss for sure. Craigs VRD's are a darn good match up to Marks Pre's. Don't know what I'm gonna do if my BBExtreme goes bad.

Z'nX

And the Pcats are even a better match!