9 volt batteries

artto

OK. Here's my stupid question of the day.

Is it OK to leave 9 volt batteries in unused devices? I have a number of basses that have active electronics and require one or two 9v batteries. Since I'm not playing in any working bands and don't intend to for the foreseeable future I'm wondering if it's OK to just leave them in. I don't recall ever seeing a 9v leak/corrode like regular 1.5v AAA ~ D do.

If it is a low drain device that, is not used frequently, you are actually better off using the older, cheap, carbon based batteries.

Same goes for the emergency flashlight in the drawer, etc.

They will not corode like alkaline based ones and the shelf/unused life on them is longer.

Haven't had enough time or experience with Lithium based or others, to say if they corode or store "in device" well.

I will take batteries out of most things I store to keep the batteries from corroding inside. I do have an alarm clock which has a 9 volt battery inside as a backup in case the power goes out and have never had any corrosion in it. I am not sure if 9 volt batteries have any corrosion advantage over other batteries.

If you do leave any batteries in for any length of time I would say just keep an eye on them to be sure they do not start to corrode and replace batteries which start to become old.

I've left the battery in my Godin A4 fretless for years at a time and never had any trouble.

It's too much of a pain to get out a screwdriver and remove the little hatch on the back and pull out the battery.

I think mainly that just says I don't play it enough.

I've left some 9v's in some stompboxes that go unused for years at a time and not seen any trouble there either.

What type of basses and amps are you using(when you are playing)?

-Josh