CDs, when will they be obsolete?

russ69

I'm not changing formats again. It took me 30 years to replace most of my old vinyl with CDs. I don't think music downloading is something that I'll want to do unless that is the only way left to buy music. The experts keep saying the CD is dead but I just can't see that happening quite yet. How long will it be before I walk in WalMart and find the CD racks empty?

Thanx, Russ

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a luddite

Ok, you're a Luddite! [;)]

I like media I can hold in my hands, too. I like real libraries... I don't mind holding dead trees in my hands.

Man, I need to visit Macon. My longtime best friend may retire there with his family, and I may be up for a move further south.

Bruce

I think once wireless internet becomes more readily available, that we'll eventually start seeing streaming media that is available pretty much anywhere you want to go. It'll probably start happening once cell phones are able to stream cd quality music. At that time, the CD will probably be completely replaced with solid state memory too.

I'm actually surprised that not many people are offering their music for download/streaming through the interent in lossless formats, but I think most of that revolves around the lack of reliable DRM and the fear of lost profits. I'm of the opinion that piracy is one of the biggest problems in the industry today, but I don't think it's the actual piracy itself as much as the music industry's response to the piracy that is causing all the problems. In some coffee book somewhere there's actually an essay that I wrote that dives into some of these issues. I'm just dissapointed that the iTunes store doesn't offer anything better than mp3. I would be buying a lot more music if there were lossless formats available.

I think once wireless internet becomes more readily available, that we'll eventually start seeing streaming media that is available pretty much anywhere you want to go. It'll probably start happening once cell phones are able to stream cd quality music. At that time, the CD will probably be completely replaced with solid state memory too.

I'm actually surprised that not many people are offering their music for download/streaming through the interent in lossless formats, but I think most of that revolves around the lack of reliable DRM and the fear of lost profits. I'm of the opinion that piracy is one of the biggest problems in the industry today, but I don't think it's the actual piracy itself as much as the music industry's response to the piracy that is causing all the problems. In some coffee book somewhere there's actually an essay that I wrote that dives into some of these issues. I'm just dissapointed that the iTunes store doesn't offer anything better than mp3. I would be buying a lot more music if there were lossless formats available.

Agree on all of the above.

I would like to hear something better than CD quality sound available for downloading, not to say there is not already and i just dont know about it.

Is it me or does anybody else prefer the sound of clean vinyl over CD's, maybe just my Sony ES just getting worn out.

Music with good sound seems harder and harder to find like they forgot or just don't care anymore about quality.

Still sticking with 8-track CD's until something else blows me away.

In reality of course CD's are already obsolete but, as was the case with vinyl, they will never truely disappear altogether.

The sad thing is that the replacement will not be as good a quality - even though that is quite possible because the majority of the music buying public simply do not care.

MP3 and its multiplicity of variants, loseless or otherwise, are the standard now - some better than others quality wise. There are already "audiophile" products that allow streaming over bluetooth from any mobile device that supports it. These will get worse in quality but much cheaper. Within a couple of years you will have mobile phones with 60 plus GB of storage for media (plus camera's and all the rest of the gadgets) that will in effect be entire entertainment systems in the palm of your hand. Once you can fit all of your media onto a single portable device that will become the standard almost by default.

Apple's Iphone is leading the way here but there are many others now coming to the market.

Fully agree with Who on his post - the music industry needs to get its act together here to stop the pirates from taking the new frontier on their own.

Not sure but quality of all does vary. To be safe I just collect whatever media I can find RTR, CD, vinyl, and digital. Quality varies on all. Fidelity seems to matter less and less nowadays. Digital media and CD could be really good but they do crap mastering and lower the quality of the download. Bah humbug.

Call me a luddite

Ok, you're a Luddite! Wink

I like media I can hold in my hands, too. I like real libraries... I don't mind holding dead trees in my hands.

Man, I need to visit Macon. My longtime best friend may retire there with his family, and I may be up for a move further south.

Bruce

Plenty of room, beer, food, & Klipsch here at my place [<:o)]

I would like to hear something better than CD quality sound available for downloading, not to say there is not already and i just dont know about it.

Is it me or does anybody else prefer the sound of clean vinyl over CD's, maybe just my Sony ES just getting worn out.

Music with good sound seems harder and harder to find like they forgot or just don't care anymore about quality.

Studio Masters

Given the season, I'd recommend the Messiah. One of the finest performances and finest pieces of engineering I've ever heard. Every other Messiah (we aren't talking religion here [6]) I own, including the vinyl, became obsolete when I got this one.

I would disagree with the venerable Max here. At least for classical and jazz the formats are just getting better with the availability of feeds like these. It costs no more to record high res than low, and with 1 bit 2.8 or 5.6mhz being a "universal" format that can be transcoded to any PCM format losslessly I see good days ahead.

Dave

...but I think most of that revolves around the lack of reliable DRM and the fear of lost profits. I'm of the opinion that piracy is one of the biggest problems in the industry today, but I don't think it's the actual piracy itself as much as the music industry's response to the piracy that is causing all the problems...

This is the problem. After the present "record companies" bite the dust (re: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/11/15/2119230) then things might change in terms of downloadable media that at least equals CD quality.

But I believe that it will take a lot to unseat those companies that presently fund the copyright litigation.

Until then, your CDs are probably safe...

Chris

Call me a luddite, I don't think I'll ever get into the downloading. I want media !

If I could download media and directly burn a real CD (i.e. without digital compression artifacts), and then print nice CD covers from the download, I'd probably download more. Right now, that isn't available.

But note: used CDs on Amazon are holding down prices. I've invested in a disk resurfacer (http://www.amazon.com/DSR-R1-DVD-Repair-Machine-Kit/dp/B000GX31G6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258724417&sr=8-8) that works in a couple of minutes to help newly bought used CDs play in the PS3 Blu-Ray player (notorious for not liking CDs that play on "real" CD players)...

Chris

But note: used CDs on Amazon are holding down prices. I've invested in a disk resurfacer (http://www.amazon.com/DSR-R1-DVD-Repair-Machine-Kit/dp/B000GX31G6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258724417&sr=8-8) that works in a couple of minutes to help newly bought used CDs play in the PS3 Blu-Ray player (notorious for not liking CDs that play on "real" CD players)...

So would you recommend this device ? Young kids & CD/DVDs don't mix too well.

So would you recommend this device?

Yes.

The only recurring costs are the foam pads that stick to the polishing wheels and the different compounds that are used to polish to a mirror finish. I bought an extra supply of these a couple of years ago when I bought the machine. I still have ~2/3 of that stock, and it cost ~$30 extra to stock up.

I don't use the machine that often now that the kids are off to college...and the only disks that cannot be recovered for PS3-use are the ones that have the metal data layer compromised. In those cases, I copy the disks on my computer and burn a recovery disk (I use the older red-light DVD/CD burner in the computer), then I don't have a problem with CDs and DVDs. I put the recovery disk and the old disk in the same jewel case so that there is no question about legality.

I haven't yet had a BD (Blu-Ray) disk that has needed resurfacing. There is a hard coating on these disks that seems to be a lot more resistant to damage.

Chris

For a while, I would buy only CD's from only a handful of bands, since I already had the rest of their CD's, why not get the new ones? But more recently, I've decided to stop buying CD's altogether. I buy vinyl, since its something I can't produce at home. If you actually want something physical to hold in your hands, why not have something like a record jacket with big artwork, a nice booklet or insert with lyrics you can actually read and a cool piece of wax that's probably in some limited colorway that you can show off to your friends. Most vinyl comes with a download ticket to get the album digitally, and its usually a digital copy ripped from the vinyl itself, so you can burn your own CD. I also still purchase DVD-Audio discs, as I can't make these at home either. I love the Hi-Rez discs, like the new King Crimson reissues, or the 70's Genesis box, or the Doors Perception box. I've got 20-30 of them, and I'm ok with spending a little more to get the higher fidelity, and again, I can't make these at home. I'm not saying that low quality mp3's are anywhere near a viable alternative to cd's, but good quality FLAC files, or 320kbs mp3's are a different story.

I remember seeing a story on the Sunday Morning show about data deterioration, and they said that disc media is only supposed to last like 10 or 15 years. So it makes sense to me to just burn a copy of a cd to listen to in my car, and then I'm not as pissed if they get scratched, I'll just make another!

Studio Masters

Given the season, I'd recommend the Messiah. One of the finest performances and finest pieces of engineering I've ever heard. Every other Messiah (we aren't talking religion here Devil) I own, including the vinyl, became obsolete when I got this one.

I would disagree with the venerable Max here. At least for classical and jazz the formats are just getting better with the availability of feeds like these. It costs no more to record high res than low, and with 1 bit 2.8 or 5.6mhz being a "universal" format that can be transcoded to any PCM format losslessly I see good days ahead.

Dave

When did I become venerable??? Anyway - feel free to disagree but as soon as you say classical you are limiting youself to a very small proportion of the recordings and indeed the listening public. My experience with digital downloading is almost entirely for my daughter and that experience was not good- quality wise - fine for her MP4 player (Sony - does movies too - but on a screen the size of a postage stamp) but doesn't come out well over the main stereo.

I did download a Haydn Symphony or 104 - but the quality - even in a supposedly loseless format was not good - actually not even average so I deleted them all. I'll stick to vinyl for classical - still yet to hear anything digital that comes close.

In reality of course CD's are already obsolete but, as was the case with vinyl, they will never truely disappear altogether.

!00% true, for mass marketed music.

Vinyl, reel to reel, cassettes, CD, SACD, DVD-A etc. will always be available for a niche market no matter what else replaces them.

These days you should be able to get anything into a home computer and burn a CD or whatever with the right program(s). More choices than ever