Record Storage Ikea Expedit - lets see photos of yours

tigerwoodKhorns

I learned about the Ikea Expedit storage shelves for records here on this forum. Here is a link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70103085

It looks like I should add a strong back made of plywood to firm it up.

How many albums will each shelf hold without cramming or overloading?

I want to buy the small 1/2 size model in the link and put it on its side. Will it hold about 800 or so?

My only concern is the shelves, I want to make sure tha that they are holding the weight and not the cheap dowel pins. If I have to put it on its side, I think that I will add a piece of plywood to the bottom to hold the ends so that they are not on the dowels.

I remember seeing one here on the forum, a 1/2 size model on its side with some nice feet. I think Phil Barret had it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple of pictures I took a while back.............

RecordShelves003.jpg

RecordShelves002.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: The shelves are running the wrong way. The Long ones should be going across, not up and down. I was told this on this forum. Then someone posted some pictures of these units tipping over with the weight of the records. Those were not pretty pictures. This unit fits snuggly between two walls, so tipping is not an issue.

But I do think a piece of paneling or plywood across the back would prevent this problem, it would also keep the records from being pushed through, if you used it as a room divider.

I've never counted how many records fit in a section. I'll go do that.

Dennie

I've been using mine for about three years with no issues. I added the aluminum legs to mine, also from Ikea. To add some support to the middle, I use a piece of wood cut to the same height as the legs and painted black.

expedit.jpg

Ward,

That is the photo that I was looking for. The only issue that I see is that on its side, the two side pieces (which are substantial) and the indiviudal shelves are suported only by the pins and not by butting down on a solid piece of wood. Looking closely at the photo, the vertical pieces of wood run top to bottom and the horizontal pieces run in short spans across each individual shelf.

That said, I really like the look of this on its side and not packed with albums. If I add a piece of plywood to the back and another to the bottom out of sight and 8 L brackets (2 for each shelf) about 3/4 of the way to the front, this thing should be as solid as a rock. I will also pick up 6 feet for each unit (they look really nice).

I have about 1000 albums, I may sell about 300 or 400, so I will still need 2 of these unless I really pack the albums in.

I am going on a vacation and there is an Ikea where I am going so I should pick a few up if they will fit in my car. If not, I am looking at shipping them.

Thanks for the post!

I walked around the Ikea in Atlanta for several hours trying to find a suitable LP rack with no luck. We have a breakfast table from Ikea that raised two kids and it's still going strong as a study/craft table.

I tried to get an idea of shipping from the supplied link but didn't want the hassle of going thru the entire checkout process. Jeese, online sellers, how about making it easy to make an informed decision. Anyway, my sis and Mom are driving near a store next month on their way down for a visit. Perhaps I will impose on them to pick one up for me as I am visiting three rooms to select an album.

Edit: Any chance of getting a P/N or link to the feet?

Not a problem, always glad to help out around here.

I really like the look of these on their side. I am just obsessive and will wind up bracing it to make it stronger. We bought a daybed for an extra bedroom and the cross bracing was garbage. I replaced it with 1" x 1" bracing and an OSB diaphragm, it is so solid right now and nice and firm. Great for a bad back and with the bracing a nice quality piece of furniture now.

Hmmm, you got me thinking, if I am already ripping a piece of plywod for the back and bottom, maybe rip 3/4" pieces that are about 12" long and paint them black and use to support the shelves. If the shelves are 15" deep they will be out of sight, and if I put 3 or 4 drywall screws into each one, the shear strength of the screws is huge.