Album and CD storage pictures

Mike Dubay

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, very nice. This is pretty much what I was thinking of, with probably 3 or 4 drawers of CD's on bottom and 3 rows of albums. I'm guessing the length is between 4 and 5 foot?

I usually try to design for 4 feet to minimize waste as sheets are 4' x 8'. It was a fund project, but it does not fit all of my records and I just acquired 850 more, so I am going to Ikea for their expedite wall units. One wall unit is less than the price of a sheet of Mahogony plywood. Hard to beat and they sure do look nice.

• 8 months later...

Just completed the first section of my Album CD storage cabinet. Made some changes to my design. I have decided to go with open cabinets for both the CD and albums. This is more of a 'trophy' thought process, you have a great collection of CD and vinyl, why hide it right? Albums will be below and a forth coming CD section will be on top.

The album cabinet is made of double thickness 3/4 inch birch plywood and poplar facing. For the kick plate I went with a 5 inch base, with a 3/4 inch dado between the cabinet and kick plate assemble, with the horizontal face ebonized in a similar fashion as my Cornscalas. A very "Klipschlike" detail.

post-33301-13819616488196_thumb.jpg

post-33301-13819620555202_thumb.jpg

I use the large IKEA "EXPEDIT" units for all my lps...Just make sure you assemble them the right way up or...

OUCH! [:^)] I use two of the smaller Expedit units for my LPs. I noticed that the listed weight limit for each shelf was only about 30 pounds per shelf and using the big unit to house them all made me a little nervous. I could just imagine the cats getting in a wrestling match on top of it and the whole thing coming down like above.

Just completed the first section of my Album CD storage cabinet. Made some changes to my design. I have decided to go with open cabinets for both the CD and albums. This is more of a 'trophy' thought process, you have a great collection of CD and vinyl, why hide it right? Albums will be below and a forth coming CD section will be on top.

The album cabinet is made of double thickness 3/4 inch birch plywood and poplar facing. For the kick plate I went with a 5 inch base, with a 3/4 inch dado between the cabinet and kick plate assemble, with the horizontal face ebonized in a similar fashion as my Cornscalas. A very "Klipschlike" detail.

That looks great Mike!! [Y]

Dennie

I use the large IKEA "EXPEDIT" units for all my lps...Just make sure you assemble them the right way up or...

Yikes! I was just getting ready to order one of these... I am thinking about the narrow one and laying it down instead of upright. Are you saying I couldn't put one on its side? Perhaps I would be OK with enough wood glue or epoxy?

Yikes! I was just getting ready to order one of these... I am thinking about the narrow one and laying it down instead of upright. Are you saying I couldn't put one on its side? Perhaps I would be OK with enough wood glue or epoxy?

If your talking about the one that would be only 2 shelfs high on it's side I think it would be ok. Just brace it so it cant move side to side. I have my large 5x5 one braced and packed full of lp's and no problems at all.

I had this picture on file...doesn't really show it all, but you get the idea.

I bought these when we built the new house in '99. They were cheap and "all wood" (some of the thinnest veneer I've ever seen!). They've done the job but are definitely not too classy (which is what my wife says about me, too).

post-3900-13819616585386_thumb.jpg

post-3900-13819620641064_thumb.jpg

Those EXPEDIT shelf units would benefit immensely from a piece of 1/4" plywood nailed/stapled/screwed to the back (every 6-8 inches all around, and some "in the field"). Also, bracing to the wall is a good safety precaution.

This is an old wallpaper book rack. Remember those stores? It measures 4' x 7' and 18" deep. I painted it black with an industrial urethane and had plate glass cut to make the CD shelves. I had them cut peices of the glass 1" tall to serve as a back stop keeping the CD's from pushing back into the cabinet. It is made of 3/4" partical board (way heavy) with a full 1/4" plywood back. Like Fini said the back is a key element to the stability of any rack, it adds a lot of rigidity to cabinet. I also attached 1" x 2" blocks at two places near the top to the wall and then screwed the cabinet into those.

WallCabinet

I also use some actual record store fixtures from my favorite local shop that closed a couple years ago. These are a great way to find and show your records but take up a lot of space. They hold a lot and there is storage below with sliding doors as well. A great place to stash all that gear your wife doesn't know you have yet!

IMG_4236.jpg

Art, if I brought record store shelves into my house I would have to pay my wife for every time I played an lp to make up for the ugliness. Thats just me though.

Ouch!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's beautiful. I wouldn't put it in the living room (maybe), but if it were just me I probably would!