I'm disappointed

dtel's wife

I'm really disappointed that Brett Farve didn't agree to an interview with Fox after the game. I understand he's not exactly the happiest person on the face of the earth right now....but I really thought he would be a better sport and grant an interview....at least congratulate the Saints on their win....he's a huge Saints' fan!

Let's wait and see how gracious Drew Brees is.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would been happy with either team winning- kinda pulling for the old guy.

I was very disapointed by the officials on both sides of the ball- last 3 calls were horrible.

My thought were that the Saints defense was guilty of many late, dirty, High/low hits on Farve where the intention was to injure him and remove him from the game.

In any case the super bowl will be an intersting matchup

• Moderators

I'm really disappointed that Brett Farve didn't agree to an interview with Fox after the game. I understand he's not exactly the happiest person on the face of the earth right now....but I really thought he would be a better sport and grant an interview....at least congratulate the Saints on their win....he's a huge Saints' fan!

Let's wait and see how gracious Drew Brees is.

Yes that will be interesting to see....I would consider both Brees and Farve to be real gentlemen...so we will see.

Really? Sports interviews are absolutely mindless wastes of time, usually spoken purely in cliches. Here's what Favre would have said, "Yes, we wanted to win, but came up with a loss. We scored less points than our opponents because they played like true competitors and were better than us. Yeah, I wish I hadn't thrown that interception, because it led to the opposition getting the ball, but sometimes that's just how the donut crumbles. The trick is to just get back up on that horse" etc.

Who cares?

If he doesn't come back next year, the last pass of his career will the interception that probably cost his team a trip to the Super Bowl. Yeowch.

I'm in the opinion if they hadn't blundered with the 12 man screw up from the sideline they would of just ran another up the middle for maybe a yard or two and kicked the field goal taking any risk out of the equation. But obviously the coaching crew got dumb founded in the last 19 seconds.

But it still didnt erase the OT which had nothing to do with the Vikes offense. It took some calls going the way of the Saints cause what did they have a total of 24 yards offense in the fourth quarter?

My thought were that the Saints defense was guilty of many late, dirty, High/low hits on Farve where the intention was to injure him and remove him from the game.

I cant imagine the commissioner not sending out a healthy fine to the defensive player for the hit below the knees. I still think it will happen.

But I guess you just have your players hit the quarterback whether he has the ball or not and take the penalties. Cause it wont be long and he wont be able to continue.

Pro football is pretty beastual. If an opposing player knows you have a sore arm he will aim his hits for that arm on a continuall basis untill the player is out of the game. A typical tackle has one player tackling, one going for the ball with his helmit, and the other sliding over the downed player with an elbow to the head. This is called "wrapping up" instead of "punishment". Offensive linemen hold on every play. Receivers push off on every play. Defensive backs hold on every play. If you don't believe it try to run a pass route on an NFL defensive cornerback. The average guy would be dead before the end of the route, if he made it passed the initial punch in the mouth or the eye gouge. You must punish the opposing player. That's why after 5 years they have a tough time walking and holding a cup of coffee at the same time.

I'm in the opinion if they hadn't blundered with the 12 man screw up from the sideline they would of just ran another up the middle for maybe a yard or two and kicked the field goal taking any risk out of the equation. But obviously the coaching crew got dumb founded in the last 19 seconds.

I agree....or threw a quick sideline pass then a field goal try.

I cant imagine the commissioner not sending out a healthy fine to the defensive player for the hit below the knees. I still think it will happen.

But I guess you just have your players hit the quarterback whether he has the ball or not and take the penalties. Cause it wont be long and he wont be able to continue.

I don't think there will be any fines. I honestly don't think it was a cheap shot (no the saints aren't my team either). It is arguable whether that play even violates the new rule of not hitting below the knees. generally, the refs are going to the extreme to protect a QB--not only didn't they throw a flag, i didn't even see them discussing it. as far as hits go--that one was actually kinda weak. question here: did brett complain about it? i haven't heard any coach or player even mention it.

• Moderators

I don't think there will be any fines. I honestly don't think it was a cheap shot (no the saints aren't my team either). It is arguable whether that play even violates the new rule of not hitting below the knees. generally, the refs are going to the extreme to protect a QB--not only didn't they throw a flag, i didn't even see them discussing it. as far as hits go--that one was actually kinda weak. question here: did brett complain about it? i haven't heard any coach or player even mention it.

I agree BigStewMan....the refs are so quick to protect the quarterbacks....it seems like if it were a problem they would have thrown a flag.....I mean the refs didn't hesitate to throw penalty flags against the Saints during the game.

If the Commissioner has a problem with any of the hits and wants to hand out some fines.....okay....do it now and get it over with before the next game, so the players know what is and what isn't acceptable.

It is professional football, you have to expect hard hits....but if there is problem and a player violated a rule.....hand out a fine so we can confirm all the negative comments insinuating the Saints "played dirty".

Otherwise, put on your big boy pants and deal with the loss. Or could it be the ones complaining would have preferred to play the Vikings in the Superbowl?

I am not sure why all this whining about "dirty hits"......[:S]

Otherwise, put on your big boy pants and deal with the loss. Or could it be the ones complaining would have preferred to play the Vikings in the Superbowl?

I am not sure why all this whining about "dirty hits"......Tongue Tied

Yes I would of liked to see Farve in the Superbowl. But I would of been more worried for my own team.

By the way my big boy pants are on and I have no problem dealing with it.

As far as no word of it, ESPN had alot to say about it after the game and wondered how that call was missed when if you touch a quarteback below the knees its a flag and usually a fine (Tom Brady rule).

Hey whats done is done. Basically within two weeks the Saints have done a good job of taking out two of the best quarterbacks both old timers by the way. More power to them. Hope the Colts dish out some leg breaking! Go Colts!

I don't think there will be any fines. I honestly don't think it was a cheap shot

Well hopefully your ears are better than your eyes. Thats a cheap shot no matter who the teams are. But hey I'm just a dumb spectator dont let me get you all worked up.

More needs to be done to protect QBs in general by the league. The ball has been passed- the blockers have let down as the play is over and WHAM. A 300 lb def end hits th e QB completely unprotected well after the pass is away. I see many hits where the def player has plenty of chances to hold back- but the QB is hit seconds after the ball is thrown for no reason other than to knock him on his @ss and maybe send him to the bench. It needs to stop. The farve deal was the worst example that I have personally see this year. Like I said- I did not have a clear favorite in this game. But watching that put an ugly side to what would have otherwise been the game of the year. Just my 2 cents worth.I respect opposing viewpoints.

• Moderators

I respect opposing viewpoints

I do to, and did not want this to become a big deal or see bad hits intentialy, they need to make the calls !

Why not name some charities and if a call is made that is obviously wrong, that player pays, if fines happen a little more often they will eventually slow or stop with bad hits if you get far enough in there pockets.

I don't care which way it goes myself, set the rules and enforce them.

The whole official thing is worthless if it is not enforced across the board, call the penalties and collect the fines where needed, and even eject people who constantly break the rules.

Should there be a couple/few extra people more on the field to help have more eyes out there ? What would it hurt the NFL has the money. As it is I don't really see how the ref's can watch everything on every play as it is, I am suprised they do as good a job as they do trying to watch everything.

It has to be enforced across the board, how many times during a game you see pushing and hitting well after the play is over while people are getting up or walking away ? It happens all the time, you see it at least 10 times a game.

I also don't think quarterbacks should be exempt from hits like kickers except hits below or at the knees. The kickers are a little different because of the position they are put in just doing there job, you can't kick and defend a hit at the same time, where a quarterback can move around and can somewhat defend himself or even run and hit himself. Like you said set a standard, no hits after the ball is released or withen a very short time even if it has to be looked at by an official who just looks at replays in real time just to make those calls, they have the money to set things like that up and could be done to not really slow down the game, the stop the game for commercials anyway and the players just stand around waiting. That was a big suprise to me at the first game I went to.

I really don't care either way, just call and enforce across the board, that's all really.

Totally agree- As a fan I would like to see all QBs and kickers finish out the season. Other than this game - IMHO- I never saw anything to make me single out the Saints for any fouls. The def players know what is late and what is not. Late hits on the qb should be enforced across the board in a fair and equal manner.For the record- our guy Julius peppers got away with a few as well -late in the season- (contract time)

Good luck to the Saints fans in the SB.

Yesterday the NFL VP of Officiating stated that the game officials missed some penalty calls for hitting the QB's by both the Saints AND the Colts. (From PFT.com) So it's still possible that fines may be forthcoming.

"Pereira admits missed calls in championship games"

"Vikings quarterback Brett Favre and Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez both took hits during Sunday's conference championship games that should have resulted in penalties but were not flagged, NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira says."

"They're missed calls," Pereira said during his "Official Review" segment on NFL Total Access.

"On a Favre interception against the Saints,
Remi Ayodele hit Favre high while Bobby McCray hit him low, and Pereira said McCray should have been flagged for getting Favre in the lower leg."

"It is the kind of hit that we want called because, clearly, we're trying to protect the knees," Pereira said.

"Pereira also said Colts defensive back
Melvin Bullitt should have been flagged for drilling Sanchez well after Sanchez had handed the ball off."

"Jets coach Rex Ryan referred to Bullitt's hit as a "
cheap shot," while Clark Judge of CBS Sports has referred to the failure to flag McCray as the game's "low moment." It probably isn't much consolation to Jets and Vikings fans now, but Pereira admits the flags should have been thrown."