Apple announces iPad, stock drops 8.59 points.

Invidiosulus

Really?

A big iPod with no flash support?

No OS X?

No regular programs, just stuff from the App store through iTunes?

Minimal multitasking ability?

I have wanted a computer that looks like that since I was a kid.

But I wanted a computer not a giant iPod...

-Josh

Every thing I've read say basically . If you have a phone and computer............you really Don't need this. If one of the three items were incorporated into the IPad...........then Maybe............. Just is not worth it as it is presently set up..............

My self, I love that it does NOT use Flash..............totally not needed.

Really?

A big iPod with no flash support?

No OS X?

No regular programs, just stuff from the App store through iTunes?

Minimal multitasking ability?

I have wanted a computer that looks like that since I was a kid.

But I wanted a computer not a giant iPod...

-Josh

If it had all these, it would be called a MAXiPad.

If it had all that plus wireless internet capability, it would be called "MAXiPad with wings".

Every thing I've read say basically . If you have a phone and computer............you really Don't need this. If one of the three items were incorporated into the IPad...........then Maybe............. Just is not worth it as it is presently set up..............

My self, I love that it does NOT use Flash..............totally not needed.

That's funny.

no Flash makes it kind of hard to watch any videos on CNN, the BBC.

I also wouldn't be able to use the media player on NPR.org.

And a 4:3 aspect ratio seems pretty old school especially if it's supposed to be an eBook reader or play videos.

-Josh

And Steve Jobs said no java on the iPhone, because nobody uses that... (just every cell phone but the one made by Apple)

Which means no java on the iPad.

With no java or flash support, it means they make all the money for apps that run on it. I think another computer company tried that idea before, but I can't recall their name right off hand.

It's a shame, since the Mac OS is really nice and they have some nice hardware. Not GREAT hardware, but nice.

With regards to the 4:3 aspect ratio, I believe that was done to make it more ergonomic and user friendly. Wi-Fi and 3G versions will follow, but the reason I think they avoided running OS was so Apple could have another item which uses their "App's" (now a huge market in it's own right). You could argue that was done for money, convenience or both. I think it could still be handy with email, web, iTunes, photo's etc. I think it could do 90% of what I need in a computer, only smaller. The iTouch is very handy and simple and a pleasure to use, but I've often wished it had a larger screen. I think it will be a hit, and it's Apple's only version of something small like a netbook (which is a growing market too). I'll wait for the second or third generation though; smaller, better, cheaper.

And Steve Jobs said no java on the iPhone, because nobody uses that... (just every cell phone but the one made by Apple)

Which means no java on the iPad.

With no java or flash support, it means they make all the money for apps that run on it. I think another computer company tried that idea before, but I can't recall their name right off hand.

It's a shame, since the Mac OS is really nice and they have some nice hardware. Not GREAT hardware, but nice.

iPhone seems to be doing ok without Java and Flash. I don't miss Java but sometimes I miss flash.

Mac OS has far exceeded my expectations. I was on the developer preview program way back when it had no GUI and was calle Rhapsody. This was right after Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Back then I was nextstep fan as well. The benefits of Apple writing their OS to a small specific range of hardware means it is much better written and more stable. I don't see issues like I do in the PC world. I have been a powerbook user for about 10 years. The laptops are always top notch.

The Maxi iPad looks cool. I'm sure I'll get my hands on one soon for testing. It would make a great albeit expensive remote control for a Mac Mini / Magic Dac music server :) It will be interesting to see what users like and don't like about them. The flash drives should make them rather speedy.

Have you ever used a Newton? My brother still uses one. They were ahead of their time.

Let the spoof ads begin.

tni2gpdojdo.jpg

A lot of people seem to be missing the beauty of the device. It is not a laptop/desktop replacement.

Yes, it basically is a huge itouch/iphone, which is perfectly fine.

From a tech point, having to use Flash to watch videos is well, outdated. HTML5 specs incorporate video stream into html code...youtube, vimeo already moving to it to get ride of flash.

If the ipod/itouch/ipad support flash, guess what, the apple store becuase useless as do you know how many games are available? Also, look at how buggy and explotable flash has been over the past 2 years.

Part of apples beauty with these things are about simplicity, and making that simplicity work beautifly. Remove 60% of the junk that people won't use, and make that 40% work amazing.

Do you really need hdmi/vga out on it? No. That's what appletv/ps3/htpc is for. Really going to run a 20' cable from you on the couch to you TV?

Need flash/usb/media card support? Hmm, well whats the point to sync up to itunes if I can just keep it all on a removable card?

It will support the iworks suite, so well email, word documents, excel sheets, powerpoint all doable.

I have had a few laptops, and bought one this past summer. I do three major things on it. Watch movies, listen to music, and browse the web. That is 95% of my usage. If I want to download torrent, put stuff onto the tv to rewatch in bigger format, I got my ps3/htpc for that.

Will I get one? Most likely. Is it perfect? No. Then again, if you wait for version 2, you might as well wait for version 3...well, don't bother really then, cause newer/better is always on the horizon.

It's really funny. eWeek, which doesn't usually pan Apple products, gave it a bad rap, in an offhannded sort of way. If this had been at CES, it would have been seen to have far fewer features than other companies tablet PCs. Nice try though, and I am sure they will sell thousands. I like OSX, and don't dislike Windows 7.I have my eye on another tablet pc, but it isn't the iPad. It also isn't to replace my regular laptop or desktop.

Bruce

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/10-Reasons-Why-the-iPad-Would-Fail-Without-the-Apple-Logo-428320/?kc=EWKNLNAV01292010STR1

I'll be the first one to buy it when it released. I buy anything and everything technology-wise. I am the guinea pig of technology. I have the original Apple I and II. I was the first to buy the original Mac Plus. I have every iPod (except the iPod shuffle) from the iPod classic to the lastest iPod touch. I have every model of the iPhone - iPhone classic, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS. I have an Apple TV, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Mac Mini, MacBook 13", MacBook 15" and MacBook 17".