modding Jolida CD

winchester21

Holy cr--. I started this thread fishing for current opinions on modding my Jolida and this thread has evolved to provide great intel on the peach which I already own plus the VRDs which are at Craigs place for a final checkout/ possible mod. This a 3 drink thread to digest the information provided. Thanks to everyone for more info to add to my limited knowledge in this areaYes

Sorry for the hi-jack Chris. I had engaged this in another thread but you, CB and I are going along the same path here. Shall we continue are leave it to the Jolida?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G-Man, Never got your email. Sorry for any confusion. I agree with your previous post that I need to start with a budget. This will be for the VRD and the Peach, let's say $500 to replace the tubes in the VRD (except the K-88's) and the tubes in the Peach. After reading all the posts, I never realized that there are so many varations in each type of tube, you can't just say get a 12AX7 Bugle Boy, there is a ton of then out there. It even get more confusing when you get in to the Mullards and Telefunkens, RCA and the list goes on forever.

I do appreciate the fact that a lot of you guys are trying to help an old fart like me that don't know poop. You specifically seem to know a ton about these silly little suppositories that make things sound better.

So, all that being said, I guess that Brent Jesse and The Tube Shop are good places to purchase, then given the budget number, I hope I am in the ball park, that you can suggest some specific tubes..

The VRD has; 5AR4 - Sovt, ECC 82 - JJ, ECC 83S - JJ

The Peach has; 6JD8 - Ei made in Yug., 12x4 - don't know.

Again, thanks to all who are trying to hepl me.

CB

Sorry to come back to the party late. I guess that I would have to respectfully disagree with Gartenman as I would upgrade the tubes in your Peach first before starting on the VRDs because the preamp has much more impact on your overall sound as opposed to your amp. Also, the JJs could be improved in your VRDs, but Craig designed a pretty nice amp that is able to use some inexpensive modern tubes and still sound good.

As you probably know, the Peach has two different linestages, superloz and blueberry. The superloz uses two 6DJ8/6922/7308s (all the same type of tube - 6DJ8 - the other numbers denominate lower noise/longer life variants) and the blueberry uses one of those tubes. I would personally replace all three tubes in the Peach first. Be aware, as you have heard, the two line stages sound different - with the superloz being extended on the top end and more pronounced on the bottom end. Therefore, you want smoother tubes in the superloz mode (just make sure that those two are matched). Also, Mark Deneen, the Peach's creator, has also recommended that you put your best single tube in the Blueberry stage.

I have personally found varous Amperex to be more extended on the top end than other types, but I have also preferred various Siemens and Telefunkens in my Peach. If you do a google, "Joe's Tube Lore" also evaluated 6DJ8s for reference.

After you tube roll the Peach, give it month or so to listen to where you are before you start in on the VRDs. I learned the hard way to do upgrades in stages and not to combine things at once to give yourself a chance to evaluate the differences.

Good luck.

Carl.

i got way more sound improvement when doing the vrds over my blueberry...i never owned a Peach but only recommended from my personal experience

That's interesting because most folks really do see the greatest improvement when rolling preamps. I've done both, and my Marantz8b (only cost me $50!) benefits nicely from having double o getter mullard El 34's in it, also the clear top RCA 6CA7's added a bit. However, all my major improvements have come from rolling the small tubes in the preamp. I recently helped one fellow here settle on a NOS Amperex regular 6DJ8's in his Peach and he was sorely tempted by some Amperex 6922's PG labeled gold pins but the difference in price was about $70 a tube.

So when it comes to tube rolling preamps and the Jolida's will probably get you farthest. IMO, of course.

greatest improvement when rolling preamps

i totally agree, i always change preamp tubes 1st, changing the preamp tubes in the VRDs made great improvement versus changing power tubes which make more subtle improvement in the VRDs and most importantly to me i really felt more improvement with changing the preamp tubes in the VRDs 1st over the Blueberry preamp tubes and as you can see from my profile i used the best... i actually experimented and changed the Blueberry preamps first and still thought the preamp tube change in the VRDs first had more sonic benefit...just my experience

Great discussions! Did you sell your pinched-waist Thebes?

Did you sell your pinched-waist Thebes?

Thebes has a pinched waist? I had no ideaEmbarrassed

It nicely offsets my fat butt.

Naw, G-man, it didn't sell but I was getting greedy. I will let it go for a very firm $350 to any nice soul with a fistful of cash. These are one of those rare tubes with an outsized reputation. A NOS Amprex 6922 USA made, late 50's gold pinned, D getter pinch waist. Called a pinched waste because the glass envelope is narrow in the middle, which, as I understand it, was a manufacturing error that somehow resulted in something special. I'm afraid to listen to mine because of it's value but I did put it in my preamp, after testing, briefly to check for any noise.

The problem with accidentally acquiring tubes of this nature, is their value is too high for me simply put into my system, and are better left to discerning soulds with deeper pockets than I.

The problem with accidentally acquiring tubes of this nature, is their value is too high for me simply put into my system, and are better left to discerning soulds with deeper pockets than I.

Come on Thebes, that's like getting a 1930s Martin for $50 and then not playing it. Speaking of playing, how are the twins?

I've got almost 100hrs on mine and think it outsounds its reputation. An absolutely gorgeous sounding tube with an unusual physical characteristic. The glass of the tube is actually slightly pinched at the about the point of the upper mica spacer. This reduces the tubes diameter at that point resulting in a subtle hourglass shape. The reason for this was for the bottle to actually clamp the upper mica space at its rounded corners resulting in a more rigid, less microphonic, structure. The result? A tube that defines the Amperex house sound: Lively, transparent & detailed with extended highs, yet absolutely no grain, with a punchy, dynamic bass. Mids lucid and palpable.

post-35949-1381954019764_thumb.jpg

post-35949-13819567307326_thumb.jpg

post-35949-13819568641342_thumb.jpg

That's interesting. It might also be argued that by coupling the glass to the mica, that could make the tube more suceptible to microphonics. That would be based on the assumption that it's the glass that is acting as the transducer of external sound.

Love those kind of happy accidents. It begs the question, though: What flaw in the tube causes microphonics? As best as I can tell, it looks like the mica plates are the major contibutor - specifically poor mechanical contact between the tubes elements and the mica, brought about by the degradation of the mica. I found an interesting blurb (note: this was an artical about 6SN7 tubes specifically):

if you are buying tubes off of Ebay for example you'd need one and they can go for as little as $350, but if you are buying from reliable sources(people here, Brent Jesse, SND tubes, Tube World, Doug's Tube, etc.) then you really don't need one as these people are very reliable...lemme know how you like your VRD's...

Got a very nice package of tubes from Marty today. Rolled a Telefunken 12AX7 into the line amp slot in the Quicksilver preamp and 2 Amperex Bugle Boys in the Jolida 100 CDP. Immediately realized I should have changed one component at a time....maybe later. I hear a more musical, detailed and sonically pleasing sound versus the new Tung Sol tubes I was using. I'm certainly not good at describing what I hear but that much overused phrase "like a veil was lifted" comes to mind...but I won't use that[:S]

I've got to listen to each pair of tubes for at least a couple of hours after warm up to try to remeber the sound before rolling the Telefunken, Mullards, RCAs, and some others I can't remember. It was a little difficult removing the case from the Jolida and the tiny screws were trying to strip but I eventually won the battle.

This has been a lot of fun and Marty is most generous to allow me use of these fine tubes.

Thanks Marty.

Did you get any 12AT7s or 5751s to try in the CDP, the lower gain in those tubes versus the 12AX7 that come in the unit really gives more definition to the sound....My money's on the tubes you put in the CDP made the biggest change ... I love Bugle Boys...did you notice how give a quick burst of white light when the unit is turned on, BBs are reknowned for doing this more than any other tube, you don't need to put the screws in the case of the CDP if you are going to roll several types as I know how those screws can be rascals.. the Telefunken sure didn't hurt...Hooray for Thebes! Good luck!