New RF-7's

Montigue231

Hey all .. Just purchased a pair of RF-7's in black vaneer, along with some RS-52 surround's. They are in prestine condition with not a scratch on them. The bass is outstanding. Although I do feel their bright on the top end. As of now im using an old anolog Yamaha 5.1 receiver. How can I reduce the harshness.. get a new receiver? Does crites sell an upgrade for these?...Also I noticed one of the horns is installed sideways compared to the other horn. I suppose I need to un screw it and install it the same as the other horn ? thanks for some feedback

Monty

Hey all .. Just purchased a pair of RF-7's in black vaneer, along with some RS-52 surround's. ($400 for the lot) I dont know why the lady sold them so cheap, but I could not get them home fast enough today. They are in prestine condition with not a scratch on them. The bass is outstanding. Although I do feel their bright on the top end. As of now im using an old anolog Yamaha 5.1 receiver. How can I reduce the harshness.. get a new receiver? Does crites sell an upgrade for these?...Also I noticed one of the horns is installed sideways compared to the other horn. I suppose I need to un screw it and install it the same as the other horn ? thanks for some feedback

Monty

There, in bold-face, is your answer as to why they sounded bright on the top-end.

From my experience, seems those older Yamaha recievers were a bit on the bright side with the Klipsch (I have one myself that I tried on my RF-7s awhile back, but now pulling duty in the bedroom hooked up to a pair of old Infinity RS2000.5 speakers).

Getting a newer, better reciever (I personally like Denon myself), would help big time. If that Yamaha has pre-outs in which to hook up a separate amp, that would be an even better solution.

I also don't like a Yahama/Klipsch match on the reference line. When I had 7's I ran them with a HK receiver with good results; had Dean redo the crossovers & the sound quality definately went up.

With 7's add an amp for best results. Nice purchase btw, enjoy.

Thanks guys,,,i figured as much. I was just reading a thread in home theater RF 7 owners talk about amp drop off with low midrange bass causing the harshness.. I think thats whats going on. I listened to them for about an hour and it took 2 hours for my ears to stop ringing lol

The yammy has pre outs and I just might sell the RS 52's and buy an external amp

How about the HK 3390 with over 100 amps 100 watts for 300 bucks.

I have had the chance years ago to hear Rf-7s with HK and that's what turned me onto both, I think what Fish might be saying is drop the yamaha all together and just go with the HK 3390, there are some great reviews on this forum regarding that particular model. It has a lot of iron in it and a good sound. Just my two cents worth, unless you are using the yamaha as a surround processor that could be a whole other topic, like Wuzzer said maybe just get a separate power amp.

duder

Hey how would you say they compare to your old KLF-20's? Just curious. Always thought the RF-7's looked nice.

Tim Right off the bat I can tell you The bass will defenitly over power the KLF's... The 20's are not so power demanding. They were sounding great on my 3805.. The three way is always a nice dynamic sound over the two way. ALTHOUGH when paired up with the proper amp I think these RF 7's can do incredible things. The magnets on the drivers look like the chorus II's I had and there 15's.. Ive never had a pair of floor speakers vibrate my clothes while sitting in the middle of them...The RF 7's are the real deal.

For pure unquestionable power and detail..with a tall slim look..the RF-7's are commanding

Thanks all for your help really appreciate it..Good to hear from you Bonzo..thanks for the pm.

hey Mr Rf..

Selling the RS 62's to buy a new amp .I cant listen to the rf 7's until I get something stout enough to push them. In the end ill keep the RF 7s for two channel and the quintets/sub for home theater..

Ive got some good solid advice from the forum members here on amps to use...thank god good advice is for free..other wise wuzzer and a bunch others would be millionares by now

Ive got some good solid advice from the forum members here on amps to use...thank god good advice is for free..other wise wuzzer and a bunch others would be millionares by now

Just send the check to...Wink

What amp are you considering?

Bill here on the forum offered me a pair of marantz monoblocks..but i have no experience with them.. Bonzo says he might be selling his HK 3490..so far those are my choices