Crites midrange diaphragms

troutboy

Wuzzer

Hope all finds you well. When I purchased I worked with Steve Philips, great guy at Klipsch. At the time a pair of diaphragms was $180.00, while a complete set of drivers and diaphragms was $185.00???? Go Figure!!! Needless to say for the extra $5.00 I bought the drivers as well. Spares in case the originals ever go. For $5.00, best insurance ever.

The nice thing about this modification is that it is completely reversible if considered undesirable!

Take care.

John

Bob;

In your opinion, having both the K53 TI Drivers along with your titanium tweeter as well as your new crossovers.... Is this a bad thing on "paper" without having modified the crossover for the higher frequency output? I really enjoy the sound as configured now!

If I were using the Ti midrange diaphragm on a speaker that had the crossover made for the phenolic, I would want to put a band pass on the midrange. This is what Klipsch does on all of their speakers that use the titanium midrange diaphragm as far as I can tell.

Bob

I received Bob Crites mid range rollover boards yesterday. They look just as nice as Bob's new crossovers on that lovely smelling Arkansas wood!

Hope to get in late tomorrow afternoon/evening. I will post a photo or two once installed tomorrow prior to replacing the passive radiators. Review will follow in a week or so one I have had time to evaluate.

John

Well, I got them in and they make a real nice improvement of "tightening" the highs on the tweeter. Reduces the overlap between the mid and tweets when using titanium diaphragms in each with either stock crossovers, or BC's replacement.

Most noticible with musical highs such as piano notes, brush symbols, etc. I know I mentioned taking a photo of them once installed next to BC's boards, but I did not remember until after sealing up the last passive radiator.

Bob did mention that he will be updating his website with pricing and a photo I believe.

A great product at a fair price!

Thanks Bob!

Best regards,

John

yep the bandpass add on for the ti mids n tweets, nice huh, course i just got the x-overs with bandpass board from the get go, all i can say about the whole upgrade is that it's uber-smooth from top to bottom with no gaps. Congrats John, so watcha think ? how would you describe the difference with it added on?

yep the bandpass add on for the ti mids n tweets, nice huh, course i just got the x-overs with bandpass board from the get go, all i can say about the whole upgrade is that it's uber-smooth from top to bottom with no gaps. Congrats John, so watcha think ? how would you describe the difference with it added on?

Xtreme;

I have only been able to listen for about an hour since installing. The major difference is that the highs are "tighter" and "smoother", since the mid is no longer working up to 7.3! Most noticeable on piano, brush symbols, etc.

I'm not sure if you would describe as less boomy or harsh, but the overall high's now seam a bit tighter and more focused.

Had I known that the mid was capable of such highs I would have had Bob C put the roll-off on the new boards he built me as well.

Very happy with the sound! Now to forget about more upgrades and keep them sealed for a while!

Best regards,

John

wish I had this information when I tried the ti mids. Fortes are resting for now....juiced up over LaScalas currently, just ordered fastracs from Dave for them....but Moray James has me thinking about klf 20's I have sitting too....too many choices aint good but its all alot of fun!...bet those Fortes sound mighty fine John....take care.

• 4 years later...

I have installed the Bob Crites midrange in my Fortes. What a difference they make. Gone is the harshness in the upper midrange, and the detail is outstanding. I also installed the titanium tweeters from Bob, and love them also. I  will soon be calling him for new crossovers. Thanks Bob for all you do ......

• Like 1

I have installed the Bob Crites midrange in my Fortes. What a difference they make. Gone is the harshness in the upper midrange, and the detail is outstanding. I also installed the titanium tweeters from Bob, and love them also. I  will soon be calling him for new crossovers. Thanks Bob for all you do ......

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are happy with speakers...:)

Wonder if phenolic mid diaphrams need replacing after 25 years of normal use?

I have used Bob's Phenolic mid diaphragms and much prefer them to the Klipsch stock Phenolic diaphragms however the Klipsch titanium mid diaphragm is head and shoulders better than Bob's Phenolic mid diaphragm IMO. I would suggest you get a pair or two of the Klipsch ti mid diaphragm while you can from Simply Speakers they are very special.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are happy with speakers... :)

I doubt very much that 25 years is too long a time but if you are a phenolic fan the diaphragms that Bob sells are simply a better diaphragm probably a superior profile, I don't know what it is exactly but they do sound much nicer compared to stock skins.

I doubt very much that 25 years is too long a time but if you are a phenolic fan the diaphragms that Bob sells are simply a better diaphragm probably a superior profile, I don't know what it is exactly but they do sound much nicer compared to stock skins

Thanks Moray! Something to consider since some time has past since this thread started.

• Klipsch Employees

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are happy with speakers... :)

I doubt very much that 25 years is too long a time but if you are a phenolic fan the diaphragms that Bob sells are simply a better diaphragm probably a superior profile, I don't know what it is exactly but they do sound much nicer compared to stock skins.

i see....it must be magic.

I can't believe this thread got resurrected, considering I was browsing in Ebay and saw an ad for some brand-new Crites diaphragms.  I wasn't going to post the topic, but it got brought up somehow.

Brand new Crites diaphragms isn't a new thing.

But from Lithuania

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Crites-new-CD53P-Midrange-Diaphragms-Klipsch-Forte-Heresy-Chorus-/182209685799?hash=item2a6c8b2927:g:ihIAAOSw~oFXD8ps

Edited by wvu80