The Who: Best Superbowl Half-time Show Ever....imo

Daddy Dee

I think they missed an awesome visual opportunity. I would have loved to have seen the stage and laser lights from the blimp.

BTW, I loved the show. It brought back fond memories of black light posters and great times at friends Saturday night parties with the teen of the month on my arm. That's what the music is all about to me. Were they technically perfect, no way, but it didn't matter. It was a great trip through the time machine. I was mesmerized for the whole performance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys are like 65. To still be putting on a show at that age is....awesome.

Was it there best, no. Saw them back in 2005, and was defiantely better then.

The stage/lighting was amazing.

The Who have always been an understated band. A lot of my friends don't really know them, but once they hear the tunes, they go "hey I know that song." Like someone mentioned...they all know the theme songs from CSI. This is the problem with my generation(im 28), and the people younger then me.

A lot of my friends don't really know them, but once they hear the tunes, they go "hey I know that song." Like someone mentioned...they all know the theme songs from CSI.

And that is why they did a mantage. The problem was that they were as big as Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones, and are now doing cheezy mantages to promote their band. This is from guys who had an album called "The Who Sells Out" and a song singing "I hope I die before I get old." I don't even care how good or bad they were on stage, I could not watch these guys do a mantage like they are Donnie and Marie. It was pathetic.

I would rather go see Elvis's Jacket than the Who do a mantage.

I can see how some of you could enjoy just seeing the old band play again. Very subjective topic. I really thought the Who would "show up" with a super bowl gig. Not perfect like they were in their prime- but much better that the horrible spectacle I viewed. I argued with people at work about how good this show would be. I really looked foward to it I was wrong.. Have not seen them lately so I had an inflated idea of what to expect as it turned out. To me this was like watching an old boxer getting getting beat to a pulp while trying to make a comeback. They should quit and let us remember them as they were as one of the greatesrt bands of our time.

If you enjoyed it- I am happy for you.

Will say, I got to see "Them Crooked Vultures" monday night @ the Roseland ballroom in NYC. I'm sure a lot of you don't know, but it's a 'super group' of Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), and John Paul Johns (Led Zeppelin). Point being, JPJ is same age as Peter and Roger. He was rocking pretty hard...more like smooth relaxing and enjoying himself as the group jammed out for two hours. Definately a different vibe coming from vs seeing The Who on TV sunday. Just food for thought.

The who?

The music was fabulous. Masterfully planned for the timeframe. The visuals were awesome with the stage images, lasers and spots.

Head and shoulders above the Stones.

Neo, bro. The Who? Are you kidding? you have lived a very sheltered life, my friend.

Just saw it again on the dvr. Wife and I both agree it was embarassing for them. I tried not to comment since the who was never a top favorite of mine, but after seeing Yes on Tuesday I know which act I would want to see again. You'll never see Yes at the super bowl because they never had the lowest common denominator appeal as the who.

I enjoyed the show and thought that Pete was in particularly good voice although he missed a lot of windmill hits due to his jacket getting caught. Roger did a respectable if not terrific job. Don't know why they gave Zak so much air time and so little to the bass player. I thought it was a brilliant montage of songs and liked the mix of old and new. The light show was fascinating but about overblown for the small stage setup.

It's important to note that Pete is nearly deaf. I read an interview some years back where he takes several days off to recuperate after mixing in the studio for a day. The last time out he played acoustic almost the entire show with his brother Simon taking the lead guitar role. This kept Pete on a stage wing in a 'quieter area' (if that can be had at a Who show). So seeing him terrorize the electric guitar one more time was a treat that we may not see again.

No they will never be the same since John passed away. I saw the last tour with John and the subsequent show and there was a fire missing from the band that shall never be rekindled.

But dig those crazy 'moonie' cymbals!

M

Just saw it again on the dvr. Wife and I both agree it was embarassing for them. I tried not to comment since the who was never a top favorite of mine, but after seeing Yes on Tuesday I know which act I would want to see again. You'll never see Yes at the super bowl because they never had the lowest common denominator appeal as the who.

I've seen every Yes tour since Relayer (my first concert) but promised myself I'd not go again after seeing the 1/2Yes the last time around. It's just not the same without Jon, and Rick's son does a passable job but again, not the fire we're used to.

Looks like my concert going days are coming to a close. All the dinosaurs are dying off. Makes me sad.

I had a slightly befuddled conversation today. My partners wife comes in with him from time to time and today was the first I've seen her since this event.

She asked me if I saw The Who halftime show

(yes)

She then says "OMG, they play SO loud...I could hardly hear a thing"

huh?

She went on to say something to the effect of "I will never watch another Who concert again, they were so loud I couldn't think"

huh?

I tried to ask "why didn't you turn the TV down?" without sounding like I was calling her a dumb***

She explained that they went to a friends home and were watching it there.

so?

"I kept telling them how loud it was but nobody turned the TV down so I finally shut up thinking they wanted to hear it that loud"

and that is the fault of The Who, how???

here she was, dispariging the concert and bit**ing about how loud The Who was playing and it was over stupid Tv.

I'm still shaking my head.

[*-)]

Good thing she didn't come to my place lol

• Moderators

And no breasts popped out! Always a good thing....

Hmm, a comment from a boobaphobic. Surprise Perhaps you meant "no breasts popping out on prime-time TV is always a good thing". That would make more sense.

Heh, I think Dr. Paul sees enough breasts at work...Parts is parts, y'know.

I think what he specializes in is a couple of feet from those parts, but he may do it just as a general overhaul package ?

Best to embarassing.... quite the range.

I don't know about best Superbowl half time show but I really enjoyed it. Stage was cool. Sure Roger and Pete could be considered lame compared to their "Final Farewell Tour" # x (f1st, 2nd?) when I saw them back in 1982. Still had John Entwistle on bass. I can only imagine how awesome they were back in the day with Keith Moon.

I'm not sure they'll every really be The Who without Entwistle and Moon but I thought it was a good show.

Likened to a garage band.... I've heard many call them a garage band. So be it, they can play my garage anytime lol. (I will need a few days to clean it out [:$])

Maybe their lyric "Long live rock be it dead or alive" sums it up a bit as The Who is dying having lost 2 members and maybe Roger and Pete with a Who cover band but it's still rock and roll and it ain't always pretty and it's at it's best when it ain't pretty and it ain't pefect. I'd rather see The Who than most any of the newer acts out there. But that's just me.

I too would've preferred complete songs but what do you expect for 12 minutes.

"Long Live Rock!"

No they will never be the same since John passed away. I saw the last tour with John and the subsequent show and there was a fire missing from the band that shall never be rekindled.

So true. Interesting how one called "The Ox" and hardly moved at times add so much fire.

I think Kenny Jones was the drummer on the tour I saw... his first and last I think so Zak I'm sure is an upgrade there. No Keith Moon but like Entwistle definitely one of a kind.