Deer in the yard

dtel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Bambi Tenderloins wrapped in bacon-slow roasted over a charcoal fire-blue cheese potatoes on the side- a big chewey cabernet to wash it down

Anybody hungry?????

Good job on the pics

Okay...Winchester...I just about had myself convinced until you used that "Bambi" word on me![;)]

Seroiusly- if you are seeing great numbers- kill a few during the season- pure low fat protien- better than beef

Really want to see some deer- dump out a 50 lb bag of corn at your favorite pic spot.

Fix up a spot with Deer cocaine or comerre deer- powderded attaction

You will not believe what will show up

JK on the Bambi remark

I received a new Nikon 70 - 300 zoom lens yesterday and I have been itching to try it out. The weather today is perfect, about a foot and a half of snow on the ground and a bright sunny sky (finally). So I figure I'll go outside for a couple of hours and see what it'll do.

Before I even leave my yard I take a look at our birdfeeder and there are a couple of Cardinals and a Red Bellied Woodpecker happily munching away. I take a couple of shots from about 40 feet away. They come out sharp as a tack with brilliant colors. I am loving this lens.

As I am looking through the viewfinder waiting for the woodpecker to lift his head up, all the birds explode from the feeder and scatter all at once. I lower the camera from my eye thinking "What the hell? Did the neighbor let out his gd dog again?"

Out of the corner of my eye I sense movement, just as an eight point buck streaks through my yard, perhaps 30 feet away and right in front of me. Of course I stood there with my mouth open having completely forgotten that I HAVE A CAMERA IN MY HAND! Like a dope I watched him leaping through the snow and into the woods at the edge of the property without even thinking to take a picture.

A true face palm moment.

Winchester21 - You sure are right about the corn (as well as a salt lick). Although it is against the law here in Illinois to feed deer. We are so overpopulated with them and the worry is about spreading Chronic Wasting Disease. The state arranges controlled culling of the herds at certain times of the year, outside of the regular hunting season. Which is really necessary, but it still gets protested by the usual collection of idiots that don't understand how much suffering the deer go through when they are overpopulated.

A no deer photo:

post-17373-13819540334222_thumb.jpg

post-17373-13819567476168_thumb.jpg

post-17373-13819568776114_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Flann, beautiful pic.....that is too funny about the deer. Like dtel said, it's always such a surprise shen you see a deer (animal) where they usually don't appear. One time I saw about eight deer in the back yard....I thought it was a herd of cows that had gotten loose from somewhere...until I saw the "white tails" when they started running. I was speechless...well maybe "somewhat speechless". lol

Flann, beautiful pic.....that is too funny about the deer. Like dtel said, it's always such a surprise shen you see a deer (animal) where they usually don't appear. One time I saw about eight deer in the back yard....I thought it was a herd of cows that had gotten loose from somewhere...until I saw the "white tails" when they started running. I was speechless...well maybe "somewhat speechless". lol

The funny thing is we see them almost every day.

Does, fawns, bucks, individuals, or as many as a dozen at a time. We've had them come right up to our deck and also look into the windows of our house. If you are up at 2 am you'll see them curled up and sleeping in the middle of the yard, even at 10 below zero and in a couple feet of snow.

They reek havoc on all types of gardens. In the spring they eat the tops off of our bearded iris and they'll do plenty of unwanted pruning to our tomato plants.

Between the coyotes and the deer we could open a game preserve.

We have a hill behind the north side of our house. About every night deer come from the south and bed down back there.

About 8:30 PM we heard a gun shot and seen a flash light shinng across the street were the deer usually come from. I got my shoes and coat on and seen a older SUV drive by and kept driving by slowing way down as they passed our house. I sure they were looking for a dead deer.

If a man needs to feed his family by killing a deer is fine with me. As long as they don't do it on my land. It makes me very uncomfortable.

Dtel, nice pictures. Deer look very healthy. Its so relaxing to sit on your back porch and watch the deer or turkey.

• Moderators

We have a hill behind the north side of our house. About every night deer come from the south and bed down back there.

About 8:30 PM we heard a gun shot and seen a flash light shinng across the street were the deer usually come from. I got my shoes and coat on and seen a older SUV drive by and kept driving by slowing way down as they passed our house. I sure they were looking for a dead deer.

If a man needs to feed his family by killing a deer is fine with me. As long as they don't do it on my land. It makes me very uncomfortable.

Dtel, nice pictures. Deer look very healthy. Its so relaxing to sit on your back porch and watch the deer or turkey.

I couldn't agree more. We had a neighbor that shot any deer he saw. Thank goodness he's gone....moved away!

I love to watch deer, they are beautiful animals.

The only reason I would consider killing any of the deer....we definitely have too many does, but I wouldn't want to scare any of the other deer away![:(]

We used to see deer almost on a daily basis in our hood. Just as long as one wasn't sitting in my sweet spot when I got home they didn't bother me and didn't harm anything that I'm aware of.

The last couple/few years we very rarely see any at all. Could be from all the bass.[:^)]

Shooting deer at night with lights should be punisable by hanging. These prople are the worst scum immaginable. We have them arond our hunting lease. We have sent several to prison.We have a deal with the warden. He get the case in front of a judge that wil put them in prison and confiscate their cars and guns-We agree to press charges on every trespasser we catch. I spend thousands each year on out of state licenses, leases, ect.So I have a real warm place in my heart for jacklighters and poachers. In most if not all cases the jacklighters will just quickly cut the hind quarters and the back straps off and leave the rest for the buzzards. The laws her are very strict and are enforced to the letter as they should be.

I live in the middle of charlotte NC. It is not unusual to see a dead deer in the road or to see one just chilling out beside the road. My wife;s friend had a seroius deer/car incident a few hunderd yards down the street leaving our house We have a huge buck in downtown Charlotte called the 4th ward buck. If you saw where we live you would never believe me. We have several deer crossing signs near my house.

As for your apples we used to watch does head butt the apple trees to try to make the apples fall.

i had a red tail hawk land on a branch a few feet from my bedroom window this morning. Never seen one that close before- Awesome

My wife's friend had a seroius deer/car incident a few hunderd yards down the street leaving our house

When my daughter was still living at home, she had a job at one of the Chattanooga tv stations. She worked early mornings, and had to leave the house a little after 3:00 am. The house is about 10 miles south of the Chickamauga Battlefield, which she had to travel through to get to work. It is full of deer... so one morning she is off to work in her little Geo Metro (not the tiniest, the slightly larger 4 door) and gets in to the park when a couple of deer run into the side of her car. Dented it up quite a bit, but the insurance paid for it. Must have scared the deer, too, as there was deer crap smeared on the side of the car. We assume the deer survived, as they ran off into the woods.

And the car is still running great, with about 170k on it. I think she gets better mileage in it than the Toyata Prius... [:^)]

We get a lot of deer on our property and they're in our yard about every night. We had a cold stretch (minus 25 to minus 30 degrees) after hunting season and must've had over 50 elk sneak in next to the house. A few bedded down right below our bedroom window. We heard the ruckus but figured it was just more deer and we went back to sleep without looking. We've never seen elk come down this far before. I took these pictures just before sunrise from the bedroom window.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After the sun rose the temp rose to about minus 15 and they moved down on the south facing slope below our house. I took this shot of most of the mob from the pasture below. All cows except for a couple spikes and one fork.

Posted Image