Deer in the yard

dtel

• Moderators

Sputnik, those are beautiful pictures....geez I felt special seeing those couple a deer in my yard....I really need to move further north...soon....real soon....

About a year or two ago our daughter's vehicle was struck by a deer...over $2000. in damage after deductible! They can cause a lot of damage but they are beautiful.

A few years back we did a landscaping job in Mandeville, LA...two weeks later the clients called me freaking out because the deer had eaten every leaf from every plant in the landscape.....we had installed over 300 plants on their job. The owners of the home had been putting feed out to attract the deer. I had warned them about the deer eating plants and advised them to stop putting feed out. The owners continued to put the feed out, I guess it wasn't enough feed! The deer ate every plant....except the azaleas!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I received a new Nikon 70 - 300 zoom lens yesterday and I have been itching to try it out.

That's the lens I was using on a D80, it's the model with VR, the VR works very well. much better than expected.

Sputnik, very nice looking area where you live, that's not a few Elk it a whole heard ! Looks COLD Zip it!

You noticed how Christie said she should move North, didn't you? Better keep an eye on her.

I remember living in Wisconsin when it was 25-35 below. I don't ever want to go through that again, even though it was absolutely beautiful country.

• Moderators

Sputnik, very nice looking area where you live, that's not a few Elk it a whole heard ! Looks COLD Zip it!

You noticed how Christie said she should move North, didn't you? Better keep an eye on her.

I remember living in Wisconsin when it was 25-35 below. I don't ever want to go through that again, even though it was absolutely beautiful country.

Bruce, we WILL be moving further north....probably more towards your area or just a little further north. I don't think I could handle Montana's extreme weather and Wisconsin's weather doesn't seem any more appealling.

Seriously, we have discussed the option of relocating to northern Georgia, eastern TN, western NC or possibly West Virginia in a few years. I love the rural areas in those states.....I don't care to live in the "congested, touristy parts"!

I would still come back and visit this area....but I want four seasons a year!

I received a new Nikon 70 - 300 zoom lens yesterday and I have been itching to try it out.

That's the lens I was using on a D80, it's the model with VR, the VR works very well. much better than expected.

dtel,

Yes it's the VR model.

Santa brought me a D300s (my daughter gets my old D80) and I traded in my old 70 - 300 ED and a few other items and picked up this one, so it was almost a wash as far as cost.

The difference between the two lenses is significant, so much sharper and faster focus. Although the new lens is a f4.5 vs f4 on the old one.

The VR really works, I have it on my 18 - 200 as well and it is amazing to watch it work.

But my guess is colter will accuse us of cheating because he brags about being so rock steady.

Check it out, click on the photo a couple of times and enlarge it, the tree was about 20 feet away and this guy was about 30 feet up, (cropped and slightly sharpened):

post-17373-13819540414214_thumb.jpg

post-17373-13819567587838_thumb.jpg

post-17373-13819568857856_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The difference between the two lenses is significant, so much sharper and faster focus. Although the new lens is a f4.5 vs f4 on the old one.

The VR really works, I have it on my 18 - 200 as well and it is amazing to watch it work.

But my guess is colter will accuse us of cheating because he brags about being so rock steady.

I took a few pictures when Michael was here and I think he was a little suprised at how well the VR worked, he is use to prime leneses.

This is a pic in very low light from about 100' away, 1/10sec @ F5.6, ISO was high at 1600. But without VR there was no way at 1/10sec.

post-11804-13819540420864_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819567596438_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819568864516_thumb.jpg

Bruce, we WILL be moving further north....probably more towards your area or just a little further north. I don't think I could handle Montana's extreme weather and Wisconsin's weather doesn't seem any more appealling.

Seriously, we have discussed the option of relocating to northern Georgia, eastern TN, western NC or possibly West Virginia in a few years. I love the rural areas in those states.....I don't care to live in the "congested, touristy parts"!

The areas you are thinking of are absolutely beautiful! A great choice.

The areas you are thinking of are absolutely beautiful! A great choice.

Agreed, that's a very nice part of the country. Myself, I thrive on colder temps. I loved working in the arctic and I revel in the sub-zero temps we get here from time to time. Seems like you gotta buy twice as much stuff (for both summer and winter.) It's not for everyone but, despite some hardships, a high cost of living, and a relatively low average income, I'll never leave Montana.

The first two shots of the elk in my earlier post were shot handheld with my 80-400 VR on a D700 just before sunrise. They're not great pictures but, like you guys said, it's amazing to be able to capture any image at all. Flannj, I've heard really good things about that 18-200mm VR - it's supposed to one of the very best lenses of any kind in the DX format.

• Moderators

Sputnik I hope you don't think I was "slamming" Montana....I used to love really cold weather....the colder the better...but the last few years it has been increasingly difficult for me to withstand severe cold temperatures. I recently was diagnosed with advanced degenerative joint disease, in fact the doctors say, "it is much further along than what they would expect to see in someone my age."[:(]

So....while I still love cold weather...I don't know that I could physically withstand the cold temperatures you guys up in Montana endure.

The pictures I have seen of Montana are absolutely beautiful and I would love to visit your state one day.

.....I have to be happy with what I have, way to many other projects that has to come first.

I know what you mean there - you'd have a good laugh if you saw my stereo "system" or my other stagnant projects that need $$$.

Christie, in no way did I think you were slamming Montana. You're too nice a person to slam anything. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - cold would not be good for you. I have relatives that live near Ashville and it really looks like the good life there.

• Moderators

.....I have to be happy with what I have, way to many other projects that has to come first.

I know what you mean there - you'd have a good laugh if you saw my stereo "system" or my other stagnant projects that need $$$.

Christie, in no way did I think you were slamming Montana. You're too nice a person to slam anything. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - cold would not be good for you. I have relatives that live near Ashville and it really looks like the good life there.

Sputnik,

I am sincere when I say I would love to see Montana. I think the "wilderness" would really appeal to me.

I love the eastern areas I mentioned. I absolutely love the Smoky Mountain area in the fall and winter. After visiting the Smoky Mountain area in the summer I promised myself that I would never vacation there again in summer. But, we were trying to navigate the National Park and the traffic was horrendous....bumper to bumper through the Park for thirty plus miles. I have never visited those area in spring...so I am sure I am in for a real treat when that time comes. There are definitely four seasons a year in those areas, but the weather doesn't seem to be so extreme that I couldn't still manage to function on a day to day basis.

I appreciate your well wishes with the diagnosis/prognosis. Before my diagnosis I had no understanding of arthritis or its emotional/physical crippling affects on a person. The doctors say I have little or no cartilage left in my right thumb joints and very little cartilage remaining in my right hand. I am, of course right handed. The prognosis is not very good, apparently there is nothing that can be done to regenerate cartilage. Surgery is an option, but according to the doctors surgery is only a short term fix for the overall condition. I never imagined having to depend on someone to do something as simple as opening a can for me. It has been rather difficult for me to accept the diagnosis and come to terms with my limitations. I now realize mornings are much better than evenings and that has helped tremendously.

Montana is beautiful and I am sure I would love wilderness. I can't imagine having that many elk or deer bed down on my property. I do envy you!

Hey Bob

Just give the pretty bear the fish and he will go away. Now you have really mad him mad- LMAO

Deer tracks in my CARPORT yesterday !!!!!!! I know that they are around but I have never seen tracks in my yard- much less my carport!!!!!! I think the critter was drinking water from the melted snow coming down my gutter downspout.

• Moderators

Cigarbum

Thanks for the offer, but I think for now we will keep the deer. I wouldn't mind seeing a bear every now and then....as long as he/she didn't "sneak" up on me.

We were vacationing in TN and woke up one morning to find a bear wandering the property....that's not something you see everyday and it was pretty surprising!

Your bear looks pretty healthy.