Vintage Fisher tube equipment

seti

Fisher_logo_Blk.jpg

Anyone out there running vintage Fisher equipment? I've briefly owned a Fisher 100-T Coronet preamp and SA-16 EL84 stereo amp. They seemed very well made and every bit as nice as the HH Scotts. What are the favorites? Still window shopping for something for my Khorns.

I've only got one restored unit, a Fisher 141 amp and it sounds great. I own, but have not yet restored:

Fisher 500c

fisher 400

Fisher x202B

Can't give an honest judgement about unrestored listening experiences, but they do sound nice, theFfisher 400 being the sweetest of the bunch. However, I've heard the phono sections are not as good as Scott's.

I've only got one restored unit, a Fisher 141 amp and it sounds great. I own, but have not yet restored:

Fisher 500c

fisher 400

Fisher x202B

Can't give an honest judgement about unrestored listening experiences, but they do sound nice, theFfisher 400 being the sweetest of the bunch. However, I've heard the phono sections are not as good as Scott's.

I think the question is what doesn't Thebes have hidden away. I'll research the Fisher 400.

There is a thread in Technical Questions about a Fisher X 100.

Thanks I read that one. Interesting comments.

The Fisher Coronet 100-T preamp with tuner I had was very solid and not noisey. Perhaps it needed 40 years to break in : ) The tuner was very nice gotta love those cat eye tuner tubes. I was hoping maybe the higher end stuff was as good. I'm going to do some more digging around on other forums to see what I can find.

Fisher 500c

fisher 400

Fisher x202B

I think the question is what doesn't Thebes have hidden away. I'll research the Fisher 400.

OK, I was holding out, but it's SS and doesn't really count. A Fisher Studio-Standard Model 432 FM/AM Stereo Receiver. You open this thing up and the craftsmanship is super. But you listen to it, and it's as dull as dirt! Can't figure it out. It should sound good but it's bad mid-fi at best. It does have pretty blue lights. I wonder where they got that idea from?

Boxx and PM are running restored 500c's, which was reviewed by Steropile a couple of years ago in a sort of retro review. They are powerful beasties with a dedicated following but I'd still choose a restored Scott 299 over them.Part of the Fisher attraction is they all come with Telfunken 12AX7's and that does have a major impact on how they sound. IMO etc.

Fisher 500c

fisher 400

Fisher x202B

OK, I was holding out, but it's SS and doesn't really count. A Fisher Studio-Standard Model 432 FM/AM Stereo Receiver. You open this thing up and the craftsmanship is super. But you listen to it, and it's as dull as dirt! Can't figure it out. It should sound good but it's bad mid-fi at best. It does have pretty blue lights. I wonder where they got that idea from?

Boxx and PM are running restored 500c's, which was reviewed by Steropile a couple of years ago in a sort of retro review. They are powerful beasties with a dedicated following but I'd still choose a restored Scott 299 over them.Part of the Fisher attraction is they all come with Telfunken 12AX7's and that does have a major impact on how they sound. IMO etc.

That is interesting.

Yeah the fisher's I have had have always been good for a top notch tube harvest.

I also had the X-100 which is the Scott 299 equivalent, power-wise (15-17 wpc??). It is tube rectified.

I had Craig rebuild it for me so I've had a Fisher X-100, a Scott 299 and a Scott 299b, all 3 rebuilt by Craig.

The 299b sounded best of the three to me but my 299b is a uniquely nice unit with the larger transformers. I think the X-100 and the 299 were a toss-up, depending on personal preference and tube choice. I wish I still had the Fisher.

Fisher_logo_Blk.jpg

Anyone out there running vintage Fisher equipment? I've briefly owned a Fisher 100-T Coronet preamp and SA-16 EL84 stereo amp. They seemed very well made and every bit as nice as the HH Scotts. What are the favorites? Still window shopping for something for my Khorns.

I refurbished this 500B fisher receiver under the tutelage of Craig at NOS Valves. I probably have $1300 in it. So, I don't think I'd ever sell it. I have it hooked to my Khorns as well as my 300b, 2A3 and 45 amps. Frankly the Fisher sounds OK, but I listen to my SET amps almost exclusively. Sometimes I hook up the Fisher for Nostagia Sake and listen to some FM program and watch the Magic Eye. This was like restoring a classic car to me, and I'm glad to own it.

So, if you want to own a Fisher like a Classic Car (63 Vette or XKE) go for it. If you want a Serioius Listening Amplifier, I would recommend a SET amp. My choice is a 45 amp, followed by a 2A3 followed by a 300B.

Here is a Picture of my Restored Fisher 500B Receiver. I bought a Custom Made Biubinga Burl Wood Cabinet from Dan Crosby of Michigan - Mcintosh Cabinets.

Front-Top.jpg?t=1267223619

Im a big fan of Fishertube receivers. When I re-entered this hobby a few years ago the first thing I bought was a Fisher 400c receiver. I bought it a local vintage Hi-Fi shop. It was one of the pieces the guy had that was something I lusted after from when I had no dough back in the day! I think I paid 150.00 for it. Sounded spectacular. I had Paul Grsybek rebuild and restore the unit and it is still in play today. I also got a 400 or a 500 I cannot remember which in a console that I bought for 40 bucks at an estate sale. That unit is now in the hands of forum member Bob Lee. Who I am sure has rebuilt it by now and added it to his considerable collection. I replced that unit with the one that Paul rebuilt for me.

To my ears the Fisher has a distinct sound that is between the classic lush Mcintosh sound and the somewhat more bright/dynamic scott sound. The 400 I have is driving 2 way JBL s that are in the console. Sounds pretty darn good. Nice combo. I also used the Fisher to drive a pair of Wharfedale W40. Also a very nice vintage combo.

Josh

Fisher 500c

fisher 400

Fisher x202B

That is interesting.

Yeah the fisher's I have had have always been good for a top notch tube harvest.

Currently, my Fisher is set up in a large room, with a restored pair of AR-4x's. I'm very pleased with the result. Also, I'm considering adding a third speaker for 3-channel stereo. I'm curious to see how this unit can handle a center speaker. Many people are surprised to know that some of these early tube receivers have the ability to produce 3-channel stereo.

Also, I have just readied a new cabinet for a 500C. I'm not sure if I'll use it now or look for another receiver, without a cabinet.

Here's a pic of the new cabinet.

DSC_0500.jpg Fisher 500C Cabinet picture by Boxx44

Hey seti,

I still have two sets of the SA-16/T-100 combos. Haven't fired 'em up yet. They're safely packed in my Hope chest...plus a 500C, and a few more console amps/preamps...

Wow very cool.

The Quad ESL guys pay top dollar for SA-16's. I sold my set to fund other projects.

Fisher_logo_Blk.jpg

I refurbished this 500B fisher receiver under the tutelage of Craig at NOS Valves. I probably have $1300 in it. So, I don't think I'd ever sell it. I have it hooked to my Khorns as well as my 300b, 2A3 and 45 amps. Frankly the Fisher sounds OK, but I listen to my SET amps almost exclusively. Sometimes I hook up the Fisher for Nostagia Sake and listen to some FM program and watch the Magic Eye. This was like restoring a classic car to me, and I'm glad to own it.

So, if you want to own a Fisher like a Classic Car (63 Vette or XKE) go for it. If you want a Serioius Listening Amplifier, I would recommend a SET amp. My choice is a 45 amp, followed by a 2A3 followed by a 300B.

Here is a Picture of my Restored Fisher 500B Receiver. I bought a Custom Made Biubinga Burl Wood Cabinet from Dan Crosby of Michigan - Mcintosh Cabinets.

Front-Top.jpg?t=1267223619

Wow very nice. That must be quite the rebuild.