Want

sputnik

1967 GT-40 Mk-IV is my dream, (I already know this guy that owns a couple of Ford 427 SOHC engines that would fit nicely) hope to do an exact recreation someday as Holman / Moody did the orriginals, and they are doing some continuation cars in aluminum like the orriginals. I wouldn't turn up my nose at a McLaren Mk-1 either.

Roger

My buddy has a GT-40 replica, not a cheap plastic toy but the real deal, tube chassis, injected, ZF axle car. It's like a laydown go-kart with 650 horsepower. Not too practical but a wicked car. Thanx, Russ

Russ,

Does his replica have the fiberglass body, or is it hand formed aluminum like the orriginals.

Is he running an FE Big Block, or what engine in it?

I intend to eventually do the aluminum body like the originals, but with alot more horsepower and geared for higher top end.

Roger

1967 GT-40 Mk-IV is my dream

Why not save up for a modern Ford GT? They're plenty fast and probably a lot more reliable and civilized than a racecar that's more than 40 years old. You can find some for sale here: http://fordgtforsale.com/

And here: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

1967 GT-40 Mk-IV is my dream

Why not save up for a modern Ford GT? They're plenty fast and probably a lot more reliable and civilized than a racecar that's more than 40 years old. You can find some for sale here: http://fordgtforsale.com/

And here: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Islander,

It's about what "I" want, not about what you think I need. If I wanted a Ford GT, I would have a Ford GT. I don't want a daily driver (The McLarren Mk-1 should have bee a good hint), I want something more along the lines of the Gotleib "Big Red Camaro". I own an orriginal 427 SOHC hemi. The dual 4 BBL makes 630 HP stock, the way it was made back in 1964. I am building an all aluminum big bore Shelby Block Cammer. I can show you one that is naturally aspirated, makes well over 900 HP, and can run on pump Gas. I plan on dual turbos. I used to have two of the large slot cars with GT-40 bodies when I was a little kid. The GT-40 was designed in the early 1960s, and is still sexy today. Other then alot more engine, and bigger brakes, the only other thing I might seriously considder is putting the steering wheel and seat in the center making it a single seater. Gotleibs Camaro is capable of 250 mph, and has about 950 HP. My all aluminum Cammer weighs less then a small block Chevy, and the GT-40 would have alot better drag coefficient. I've ridden in several Porches, two Ferraris, and a Lamborghini, and I've driven a 1,400 HP pro street Camaro, I want scarry fast.

Roger

Roger,

It's a small block 351W, which is correct for it's vintage. It goes well over 165 mph (doesn't sound like much but that's fast for a sixties car). His does not have an aluminum body but is otherwise authentic. Last time he had it for sale it was north of 100.000 bucks. I'm not sure what the current market is. Not really a practical car, side windows don't roll down and it gets hot with the flat front and rear glass. He lives at the beach and takes it out on early morning runs.

Thanx, Russ

I don't want a daily driver, I want something more along the lines of the Gotleib "Big Red Camaro".

Exactly what I would do if I won the lottery :) . Except mine would be a nasty version of the '66 Charger that I have held on to for , dang 21 years in April .

sunburnwilly,

I still have my 1967 "S" Code 390 Big Block, GT Fastback Mustang that I bought as my first car as a kid. I've had a dual 4 BBL 390, a 428 Cobra Jet with 406 three deuce intake, a dual 4 BBL 427 Hi-Riser (Same as in a Thunderbolt Fairlane) and an Orriginal 427 SOHC Cammer.

My present avitar is of my aluminum Big Bore Shelby Block, moched up with Bill Coon aluminum Cammer Heads, a new Bill Coon backing plate and the 6 foot timing chain assembly. The Bill Coon Heads have the exhaust port inverted for a propper D exhaust port, and the exhaust port is raised 0.300 inch. The intake port has been raised 0.400 inch over stock cammer specks.

I used to want to do a SC Cobra. I even have a pair of custom headers from a guy who put a Cammer in a REAL SC Cobra. I got them when he put the car back to stock. I had them sand blasted and powder coated.

The GT-40 platform makes alot more sence then the other two for a top end car, pluss alot more room and access to put turbo charges back there.

I also own an old Top Fuel Blower manifold for the Cammer that came off of one of Mickey Thompsons Top Fuel Mustang Funny Cars.

Roger

Roger, It's a small block 351W, which is correct for it's vintage. It goes well over 165 mph (doesn't sound like much but that's fast for a sixties car). His does not have an aluminum body but is otherwise authentic. Last time he had it for sale it was north of 100.000 bucks. I'm not sure what the current market is. Not really a practical car, side windows don't roll down and it gets hot with the flat front and rear glass. He lives at the beach and takes it out on early morning runs. Thanx, Russ

Russ,

The last year that the Ford GT-40 raced Le Mans was 1968. The first year of production of the 351 Windsor was 1969. All GT-40 Race Cars either had 289 small blocks or 427 big block engines. The big block GT-40s were only rated at 500 HP, and even the 390 HP rated 289 cars could still go 200 MPH.

Your friend is using a 1969 or newer 351 Windsor block because Califrnia emissions need to be made on the year of the engine block in a kit car, not on when the kit car was built. The Fiberglass is alot heavier then the orriginal aluminum body, but is his car has 650 HP, it should still be capable of 200 MPH. Even the New Ford GT cars can go 200 MPH and they are supposed to have 500 HP. The fixed windows on your friends car are correct. As a side note, a true orriginal GT-40 is automatically in the 7 figgure range and price varies widely on if it was in any races, did it finish the race, if it is a big block or small block car, did the car actually place or win the race.

Roger

A professor I once worked with was a car collector. He owned a 300SL Gullwing Mercedes, a Cabriolet Mercedes from the 50's and an older Rolls Royce. The Gullwing was in pieces. I never did see it complete. But I rode in the back of that Rolls. The leather was soft as butter and you just sunk into the seat and the car rode like it was floating on a cloud.

A few years ago when I purchased my Big Block 'Vette, a fellow shop worker said to me: "you should pull out that gas guzzling engine and put in a mild small block. It would get better gas mileage." Some people just don't get it.

post-28686-1381955432507_thumb.jpg

post-28686-13819569760378_thumb.jpg