Feel proud CANADA...FEEL PROUD..

oldenough

Gosh, as a Canadian, reading parts of this thread doesn't feel very "brotherly".

It's a US thing. We don't win in hockey very often and the coverage is all USA USA USA kinda stuff so we go a little over the top. I can speak for most of us here, we have a strong affection for our northern friends. Having lived in Toronto I can also say Canadians aren't above a little USA bashing when the opportunity comes up either. Cheers.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Go Leafs!

Yeah I watched as much of it as I could given the circumstances- missed the OT- The canadian team looked sharp - poised- and overrun with talent. I had a bad feeling during the 1st period. We just got out skated and in my view- the canadians were destined to win the last game. I remember when the Hurricanes won the Stanley cup a few years. Our guys were literally puking up blood in the locker room from some of the hits but would not be denied. There was never any doubt in my mind that the Caines were going to win the cup that year. The canadians played like they wanted it worse than us- and they did. We lost to a better team in my view.

I really enjoyed watching the Olympics and getting to know more about our northern neighbors!

Thanks for the Great Job Canada! And......after the technical problem with the opening ceremonies, you should be very Proud at how you handled the Closing ceremonies! I was Proud for you!! [Y]

Dennie

Meh.

I enjoy the country I live in, but I don't look to the Olympics or sports in general for that matter, as my source of pride and hockey is not part of my national identity. There is no "I" in team.lol

I do enjoy beer though and have also enjoyed a few Beavers along the way,eh.[;)]

The canadian team looked sharp - poised- and overrun with talent. I had a bad feeling during the 1st period. We just got out skated and in my view- the canadians were destined to win the last game.

I agree. The Canadian team was dominant but I still felt USA had a chance, in the end the best team won. Congratulations to our Northern friends!

I think all Canadians would appreciate these kind words from Brian Williams of NBC:

Brian Williams, anchor and managing editor, NBC
[cid:image001.jpg@01CAB947.A22C76C0]After tonight's broadcast and after looting our hotel mini-bars, we're going to try to brave the blizzard and fly east to home and hearth, and to do laundry well into next week. Before we leave this thoroughly polite country, the polite thing to do is leave behind a thank-you note.

Thank you, Canada:

For being such good hosts.

For your unfailing courtesy.

For your (mostly) beautiful weather.

For scheduling no more than 60 percent of your float plane departures at the exact moment when I was trying to say something on television.

For not seeming to mind the occasional (or constant) good-natured mimicry of your accents.
For your unique TV commercials -- for companies like Tim Hortons -- which made us laugh and cry.

For securing this massive event without choking security, and without publicly displaying a single automatic weapon.

For having the best garment design and logo-wear of the games -- you've made wearing your name a cool thing to do.

For the sportsmanship we saw most of your athletes display.

For not honking your horns. I didn't hear one car horn in 15 days -- which also means none of my fellow New Yorkers rented cars while visiting.

For making us aware of how many of you have been watching NBC all these years.

For having the good taste to have an anchorman named Brian Williams on your CTV network, who turns out to be such a nice guy.

For the body scans at the airport which make pat-downs and cavity searches unnecessary.

For designing those really cool LED Olympic rings in the harbour, which turned to gold when your athletes won one.

For always saying nice things about the United States...when you know we're listening.

For sharing Joannie Rochette with us.

For reminding some of us we used to be a more civil society.

Mostly, for welcoming the world with such ease and making lasting friends with all of us.

I finally got to this one. It was an incredible 17 days and finished up with a rush of Canadian gold medals that last several days. It just made Canadians so proud to see the event turn into a great success, even with the Katrina Le May Doan replay during the closing ceremonies, and the environmentally friendly ice cleaner breaking down repeatedly and being replaced by a Zamboni, which worked great.

As for the hockey game, the dedicated t.v. audience was 16.6 million and over 28 million Canadians turned on the game at some point in time. Given our population of 34 million, it really does show that hockey is the unofficial national game. I strongly doubt even the Super bowl can draw numbers anywhere close. This country's heart almost went into cardiac arrest when the U.S. scored with 24 seconds left, but rebounded into ecstasy when Sid the Kid won the game.

For those of you who missed it, both Brian Williams appeared on each other's sets and had some fun impersonating each other. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/world/news/e3i45a85038cbfe6e221f3063cf934c01a0 It was a neat skit with your Brian Williams director having her own Canada corner on the NBC set.

Last night I had to suffer watching the Raptors play and tonight it's the Leafs. Can I please have another week of Olympics, or at least until Saturday when the Brier starts.

As for the hockey game, the dedicated t.v. audience was 16.6 million and over 28 million Canadians turned on the game at some point in time. Given our population of 34 million, it really does show that hockey is the unofficial national game. I strongly doubt even the Super bowl can draw numbers anywhere close.

I'm not sure what you mean but Super Bowl XLIV, played in February 2010, became the most-watched television program ever, drawing an average audience of 106.5 million viewers and taking over the spot held for 27 years by the final episode of M*A*S*H.[5]

I'm not sure what you mean but Super Bowl XLIV, played in February 2010, became the most-watched television program ever

He means that 80% of the population of Canada watched at least part of the game and that 50% of the population watched the whole game. Super Bowl is certainly big, but I don't think it was watched by as large a proportion of the population.

There's no intention of saying one's bigger than another, just that a huge number of Canadians took a great interest in the gold medal hockey game.

Every American male watches the Super Bowl except the guys tending the bar.

I was neither tending bar, nor watching the Super Bowl. I'm just not a football fan. Baseball, hockey and Nascar only for me thanks. But I did watch the last episode of MASH!

We beat you USA ...HA HA HA take that. The most GOLD and the biggest prize of all Hockey GOLD MEDALISTS! HA Wink

What? I thought Curling was the biggest prize... oh wait, didn't Canada clean up in that also?

One of my favorite Olympics in a while. Sure a few problems.... such as the indoor cauldron arm failing to rise during the opening ceremony so the Canadians make fun of it in the closing ceremonies. Do you think the Chinese would've handled such a snafu with such grace and humor?