BUDGET amplifier to make my KLF-30's come alive

superedge88

So I have read a lot about how your mains don't really come alive until you get separate amplification for them. I haev been skeptical, but I do realize that many of you guys have been in the hobby for longer than I have been alive... so please help me pick an amplifier. I am trying to stay towards the "budget" side of things, though I am not going to tell you a limit in $$$. My main focus is to get amplification for the KLF-30's that will take me into the realm of new found detail and dynamics without being grossly over kill, paying for a name, or paying for pretty lights. Am i correct in wanting an amplifier that does 2 x 250 watts in order to get the head room and dynamics I am looking for?

Superedge88,

I know this is a 3 channel amp but I have one powering an RF-63/RC-64 combo and I could not be more pleased at the performance. The speakers really came alive with a ton of bass, great seperation, while being on the warm side of neutral. B&K's are rock solid and reliable and cool running.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1272516546&/B-K-Components-Refere-nce-4430

Bill

• Moderators

I've always heard that Behringer amps were kinda on the bottom end of the totem pole. Could be wrong though.

As suggested, there are a lot of good deals out there, especially in the used market that are affordable.

• Moderators

I could be wrong but that amp seems to me to be for professional applications only. It does not even give an 8ohm spec.

Manual shows the following, they just neglected to add 8ohm specs to their website.

Output Power
20 Hz – 20 kHz @ 0.1% THD, both channels driven
EP2000
8Ω per channel 350 W
4Ω per channel 500 W
2Ω per channel 650 W

EP2000
8Ω 1000 W
4Ω 1300 W

I think you'll be very happy with this amp.. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1272513058&/Acurus-A250-Power-Amplifier

If you want an amp that will make your KLF's really sing, this would definately do it. Acurus make excellent amps..

"Company Profile Acurus was founded in 1992 as the value brand of Mondial Designs. Mondial was started with the Aragon brand, well know for its high end electronics in audiophile circles. Mondial was founded in 1986 by Paul Rosenberg and Anthony Federici, the latter of whom has since left the business. In December of 2000 Mondial was bought out by Klipsch. Paul Rosenberg is still with Mondial as the Director of Marketing and New Product Development."

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/acurus/a250/PRD_116262_1583crx.aspx

Let us know what you end up with and how it compares to your Denon.

So I have read a lot about how your mains don't really come alive until you get separate amplification for them. I haev been skeptical, but I do realize that many of you guys have been in the hobby for longer than I have been alive... so please help me pick an amplifier. I am trying to stay towards the "budget" side of things, though I am not going to tell you a limit in $$$. My main focus is to get amplification for the KLF-30's that will take me into the realm of new found detail and dynamics without being grossly over kill, paying for a name, or paying for pretty lights. Am i correct in wanting an amplifier that does 2 x 250 watts in order to get the head room and dynamics I am looking for?

I say if those are your KLF-30,s sitting beside your fireplace you should spread them out as far as you can and they will sing better !

The EP2000's are an underrated amp. They are smooth with endless power. 400 wpc at 8 ohms.....750 wpc at 4 ohms.....and are stable down to 2 ohms.

They will rock your 30's....no doubt. For $300.00 with tax you can't go wrong.

They're not so much better, but you can broaden your search. If you can't find a PLX, get a PLX2. The 2's have a slightly higher wattage rating, but it's virtually negligable and certainly inaudible. In either case, you'll need to change the fan out. It's loud, but it's an easy correction.

post-15193-13819570117182_thumb.jpg

Where can I get information on the fan replacement?

They're not so much better, but you can broaden your search. If you can't find a PLX, get a PLX2. The 2's have a slightly higher wattage rating, but it's virtually negligable and certainly inaudible. In either case, you'll need to change the fan out. It's loud, but it's an easy correction.