DIY Accoustic Panels

Hi guys,

I recently helped my friend hang up some accoustic panels in his home theater room and I was very surprised with how much it helped. These panels are definitely a great improvement I asked how much he had paid for the panels and I was shocked, for the six pannels (2x3) cost him nearly $800!

Like I said it did make a very noticable differance but they look fairly easy and inexpensive to make. I tried searching the forums and couldn't find anything, is there anyone here who has made there own panels and would be able to help me out with any pictures and infromation?

Thanks Nathan

I'll get you a pic later but I made mine from Owens Corning 703, Guilford of Maine cloth and 1x2 wood. I found a local air conditioning contractor and bought the 703, got the cloth from someplace in North or South Carolina (on line search) and wood from the good old Home Depot. I have about $30 in each 2x4' panel.

edit: I think I got the fabric here: Fabric

Ethan Winer has some great stuff. He is into all manner of things, and has a good video (R-Rated) on acoustics. If you look under his articles link, you can find it. It's pretty funny, but again, it is R-Rated.

Bruce

I'll get you a pic later but I made mine from Owens Corning 703, Guilford of Maine cloth and 1x2 wood. I found a local air conditioning contractor and bought the 703, got the cloth from someplace in North or South Carolina (on line search) and wood from the good old Home Depot. I have about $30 in each 2x4' panel.

Front pict

Because of a number of years in the construction trade I am very sensitive to fiberglass. As such I ordered a box of the Roxul mineral wool panels to avoid fiberglass. The price is pretty good too. Six 24" X 48" X 2" panels for $49 plus shipping. I also bought the cloth from them. I think my total for the materials to make six panels was $125 delivered. Not too bad... Works out to about $27 per panel.

Materials came from here: http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fiberglass-and-Mineral-Wool-Batts-and-Boards--106.html

I still need to pick up some 1/4" plywood to use as a backer and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to wrap the edges in wood. I'm leaning towards not. We'll see. I was planning to take some pictures of the process. I really don't have a need for six panels though.

Because of a number of years in the construction trade I am very sensitive to fiberglass. As such I ordered a box of the Roxul mineral wool panels to avoid fiberglass. The price is pretty good too. Six 24" X 48" X 2" panels for $49 plus shipping. I also bought the cloth from them. I think my total for the materials to make six panels was $125 delivered. Not too bad... Works out to about $27 per panel.

Materials came from here: http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fiberglass-and-Mineral-Wool-Batts-and-Boards--106.html

I still need to pick up some 1/4" plywood to use as a backer and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to wrap the edges in wood. I'm leaning towards not. We'll see. I was planning to take some pictures of the process. I really don't have a need for six panels though.

Your link is the same company that sells the finished parts on the link I posted above (on ebay) I had their direct website as well but couldn't find it so I used the ebay link. They sell a variety of pre-made acoustic panels and materials to make your own as well.

Front pict

Thoose look great, thoose are almost exactly like my friends except his are black (and a lot more money[:|])

Im going to try to make a pair or two as soon as I can locate the OC 703.

Thanks

That seems like a great deal! Thanks for the link.

Im going to call on Monday and see if they ship to Canada.

IBSlammin brought several panels over and the results were staggering to me. It is amazing what pannels can do to a room.

Those were DIY and my first. The later batch had better cosmetics with both sides finished, wood trim, and could be hung,

My LP[8o|] is still down or I would post pix.

tc