5.1 / 7.1 questions

Coytee

If someone gets a 7.1 system are you presumably 'forced' (strong word but perhaps drives my point?) to use 7 speakers or can a 7.1 system be used as easily as a 5.1 system? (are they interchangable in as much as you might use 5 speakers, leaving the other two channels unused/dead)

I'll only have 5 speakers but, if I can use a 7 channel system JUST AS effectively, then I don't need to necessarily focus on finding a 5.1 processor. I can choose from a wider range.

Part II: Any precessors out there with TWO HDMI outputs that also have XLR outputs?

When I get to this part of my journey, my needs will be at least a 5.? system (don't know if I'll use a sub or not.... am considering the fun of perhaps using two). I'll also need XLR outputs for the audio. Would a unit like this also have RCA inputs for the DVD player or would that audio be fed into the unit via the HDMI port?

I suppose something like this might have those red light digital inputs? Having never used those, is there any merit to them?

part 1: are you asking if you can use an 7.1 pre-pro/AVR with only 5.1 speakers? ..yes. Most say the benefit in those two speakers is negligable, and the system will route those effects to your surrounds in the 5.1 setup (most move tracks aren't even transmitted in 7.1).

part 2: dunno..

i have a 7.1 receiver and i am using it in a 5.1 set up, so it works just fine,

but i also have a question about this, when using it in the 5.1 configuration should the surounds be connected to the rear surounds or the sides?, or does it not matter because there are like 5 movies that make use of all 7 channels

Part II: Any precessors out there with TWO HDMI outputs that also have XLR outputs?

When I get to this part of my journey, my needs will be at least a 5.? system (don't know if I'll use a sub or not.... am considering the fun of perhaps using two). I'll also need XLR outputs for the audio. Would a unit like this also have RCA inputs for the DVD player or would that audio be fed into the unit via the HDMI port?

I suppose something like this might have those red light digital inputs? Having never used those, is there any merit to them?

Sure there are, but you didn't specify a budget.

post-15193-13819583128492_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Man CECA, that receiver looks MEAN!

7.1 receivers can effectively be used in a 5.1 system. As mentioned, put your speakers as sides instead of back surrounds. Much less info comes from the "back surrounds".

These are fiber optic or optical inputs. Fiber optic sounds great for 5.1 in Dolby Digital and DTS but will not support the new HD Audio Codecs (DTS-Master, Dolby TrueHD etc). Digital Coax is just as good as Fiber Optic.

I'm using an A/V set up that is capable of 7.1, but I am using it for 5.1 (for the time being). I may later hook up another amp and make it a true 7.1. 5.1 seems to be the norm, right now, for most all DVD's that I see.

I have a 7.1 capable receiver that I use for my 5.1 set up. If I'm not mistaken when I do the auto set up program the receiver detects what speakers are attached to it and finds only a 5.1 set up it routes the other 2 speakers signal accordingly.

Like many have said already. Not a lot of true 7.1 out there so if you only have 5.1 I don't think you're missing out. I think I've seen 11.1 receivers out there, maybe higher. It will never end. I'm happy with 5.1 so I stick with it, not that the excuse to squeeze a few more speakers into the room doesn't tempt me!

I have a 7.2 system & yes there is diffinatly an advantage to the 7.1 BUt most newer A/V's have high/wides & that is where the 7.1 shines I use the highs in mine & WoW what an added presence there is on 5.1 DTS Blu-Ray & even on broadcast 5.1 it's a Wow factor not to be missed

There is alot more content played back by the rear effects speakers than people think. If you are still at 5.1 you are missing out. Watched Avatar recently and they were working almost constantly. The Star Wars and Star Trek movies and most recent releases all have specific content for the rear effects channels.

My NAD AV Pre/Pro up-samples all content digital or analog to 7.1 anyway so the speakers are always being used.

• Moderators

It's a pre-pro, there's no room for amps in THAT chassisStick out tongue

Whoa, I think you could even hook up an ice maker to that thing for your drinks with all those connections. I looked it up, VERY nice !

With everything else in your setup you could "almost" connect any speaker and it would sound great.

• Moderators

There is alot more content played back by the rear effects speakers than people think. If you are still at 5.1 you are missing out. Watched Avatar recently and they were working almost constantly.

I agree that the surround channels did have a lot of information they were reproducing during Avatar. One thing we have to remember is that Avatar was encoded at 5.1 so if you have a 7.1 receiver, your receiver is creating the information for the back surrounds from the information that is for the side surrounds. The back surrounds are not receiving a true, dedicated channel. Although it is adding sound behind you, it still is not native information.

There is alot more content played back by the rear effects speakers than people think. If you are still at 5.1 you are missing out. Watched Avatar recently and they were working almost constantly.

I agree that the surround channels did have a lot of information they were reproducing during Avatar. One thing we have to remember is that Avatar was encoded at 5.1 so if you have a 7.1 receiver, your receiver is creating the information for the back surrounds from the information that is for the side surrounds. The back surrounds are not receiving a true, dedicated channel. Although it is adding sound behind you, it still is not native information.

+1. I don't think 7.1 is that well respresented yet in movies. I've Googled it but no solid numbers I'd repeat here but pretty obvious its a small percentage.

It's a pre-pro, there's no room for amps in THAT chassisStick out tongue

Whoa, I think you could even hook up an ice maker to that thing for your drinks with all those connections. I looked it up, VERY nice !

With everything else in your setup you could "almost" connect any speaker and it would sound great.

The video side of it is incredible as well. You can feed it a 480i signal from a DVD player and it will upconvert it to nearly Bluray quality. That's what drew me to it in the first place, but the audio is what Anthem is known for.