Juicy Music Blueberry, What is Gain ?

davis419b

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all Blue Berry Extremes have a phono section. The Blue Berry Extreme "With Cream" has the phono section.

Yes, all BlueBerry Xtremes DO have a phono section....a moving maget phono section. "Cream" is a moving coil "add on/upgrade" that was not included on any of the standard JM preamps.

• 2 weeks later...

After having the Blueberry for a couple of weeks I am finally getting a chance to listen to it today. My tech friend went out of town and let me use his tube monoblocks for a few days so I could listen to the preamp on my system. It sounds alot more laided back than the Holfi battery powered SS preamp I used last time with the monoblocks. I didnt get any paperwork with the preamp when I bought it and I am very new to tubes so my next question is going to sound dumb. What does the gain knobs do ? Do they just increase the volume level or can they actually change the dynamics of the sound.

The Blueberry he bought also has 2 phono inputs.

I've owned both and they're both great. The main difference you'll notice is the extreme has a "standby" mode. Maybe Dean will come in and explain the other differences.

Sorry Mark, I just noticed my my typo [:$]

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in and suggested any of the Welborne mono's. I'm quite happy with my Merlin and Welborne Laurels with my Khorns. There is a pair of DRD's on Audiogon as we speak.

Looks like alot of the guys are in hope this weekend ! I looked at the set on audiogon and there is not much info on them. Being new to tubes info is the only thing I have to go on, doent even mention power. ( wpc )

i have seen a grand total of 1 set of P cats for sale in the last 18 months . I would go straight th the VRDs without question or 2nd thought. Easy decision.

You will love the BB.

I'll 2nd that. The VRD's are an excellent addition to the BBX or BB. Their a perfect match-up.

With either version, you don't need any stinking eq gains.

Having the moving coil option does not necessaryily mean you have the Xtreme, but I wouldn't consider that anything to be concerned about. The std. BB is a killer preamp. If your BB has the Xtreme upgrade, the face plate will say so. It's a 2 tone dark charcoal faceplate, and says Xtreme, just below the Blueberry designation. Here's a pic of mine.....

EDIT:

Whoops, I didn't realize that Mark had already chimmed in. He's the man with all the answers on Juciy Music gear.

post-12381-13819598191562_thumb.jpg

post-12381-1381961631799_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Now if you really want to get with the program, you could search out a pair of Mark's Pcats. Pretty rare birds, they are.

Fini, I have been tying to follow your advice for 7 months and finally got lucky today. These are fabulous looking amps and I hope to be listening to them soon. I will get pics up tomorrow eveing. Thanks Fini !

Don

Are you going to sell your old Blueberry since you now have two?

Kevin

Something is going to go pretty soon but need to do alot of listening first. I would hate to make a decision I would regret later ! At this moment I still prefer my Holfi preamp or maybe I am just adicted to it.

Original BlueBerry

Red/Blue and Orange front panel

Four large knobs only

No standby. no LOMC option, 1300uF PSU

Hovland caps

BlueBerry MkII

Red/Blue and Orange front panel

Two large knobs, two medium, two small

Standby function

LOMC "Cream" Option avail.

Hovland caps

BlueBerry Xtreme

Black poly front panel

Two large knobs, two medium, two small

Standby function

LOMC option

2700uF PSU (big increase)

Relay switched I/Os

AuriCaps

BlueBerry Xtreme II

Silver or Black Aluminum front panel

New chassis design with metal covers for in or out of case use.

Remote Control Volume

6H30 as standard output tube

Those are the four basic versions. Within those versions there were several other smallish changes that occured mainly to the board layouts and other technical matters. All four versions have the same phono circuit consisting of the 12AT7-->12AX7-->12AT7 with passive RIAA filter and no feedback.

The first three versions have the 6922/6DJ8 output tube (Line Stage), the last version changed to the 6H30. Early versions had 2uF Hovland output caps. Later versions had 6uF AuriCap output caps.

The unit which kicked off this thread is a "BlueBerry MkII".

Plus countless in-between one model to the next upgraded version.

For instance my BBX looks like the original Black Poly front panel Blueberry Xtreme but was upgraded electrically to the final circuit board version of the BBX II with 6H30 and remote. This final version IMHO is the best performer of the bunch and has the looks of the original BBX which is what I prefer from a visual stand point.