Stock La Scala with a full grill?

tromprof

I just picked up a very nice pair of La Scalas locally and would like some information. They are different from any other La Scala I have ever seen in that they have a full grill on the front, it makes them look like a Cornwall, just a lot deeper. The fellow I got them from bought them from the original owner who said that was how they came when he purchased them new in Louisville, KY in 1977. If anyone has any info on these I would love to know about it. The grills really dress them up and I am sure there is no way my wife would let a regular pair of La Scalas in the living room, so this is a great score for me!

post-28706-13819600500364_thumb.jpg

post-28706-13819618997316_thumb.jpg

One of the best looking La Scalas I have ever seen...

What are you driving them with?

Norh 2b preamp, and an Ideal Innovations Elite 80 amp. Gives my K-horns a good run for their money, and they sound great for movies. I have always heard how short on bass la scalas are supposed to be but they sound great on everything I have played so far! Not as big on the bottom end as the k-horns but still good.

My Belles are surprisingly good for most music. They do lack extended bass, but most horn speakers without the Klipschorn's corner reinforcement will not offer huge very low frequency extension. I used to have REL subwoofers, but I sold those. I am considering a SVS PC-ultra sub, bit I'm in no hurry. I drive my Belles with a CEC Classic Tube 53 integrated.

I would have bought your La Scalas in a heart beat. You must be very happy with them.

So are you saying that Klipsch did make a "grilled La Scala."

They made a 'TG' = top grille. I've never seen or heard of any factory units like yours, but as with all things Klipsch (especially Heritage), never say that they never made a pair. The log books would tell the tale.

It seems that the consensus is this is an after purchase modification, not Klipsch work. It doesn't really matter to me but I was curious as it was very well done. I only got them hooked up yesterday and really enjoyed listening to them last night. My K-horns are in a room under the kids bedrooms so I don't really get a chance to listen to them a lot at night so this is a nice change. It is interesting to hear both the similarities as well as the differences between the k-horns and La Scala. I have always thought the best thing about the k-horns were the midrange sound and clarity, and the La Scala are their equal. Where the La Scala don't quite measure up, other than bass, is the size of the sound and huge sound stage, but my K-horns have had some Bob Crites upgrades (new crossovers, tweeters, and woofers). All in all I am very pleased with the La Scalas, and yes they are quite handsome with their full grills. My wife has (very grudgingly) admitted that the room looks nicer with them than the black Fortes they are displacing.