Road to nirvana takes a surprising turn: Chorus II

Lyons

I'll spend some more time blabbing on this at a later post, but I am geeking out of control over these AWFUL NICE 1993 Oiled Walnut Chorus II's I brought home yesterday. CraigsList been berry berry good to me. Very, very nice shape. Consecutive serial numbers. Just the color I wanted. And the music... Running McIntosh SS and the CHII really know how to make the most of the power.

In the past ten years I have moved through (in rough order), KSB 1.1's, La Scala, Cornwall II, KHorns, KG.4, Forte I, RF 7, Heresy, Cornwall I.5, Cornwall II (again), Forte II and now, finally, these Chorus II's.

They seem to combine everything I like about all the best Klipsch flavors: Distinct detailed music but without grit or edginess, great "scale" (big stuff sounds really big, small stuff sounds small), low distortion/high sensitivity, and that thing that happens with drums... like no other speakers. They make Radiohead swing and Beach Boys soar.

Ya never know exactly when and how the upgrade bug will sting in the future, but this feels like where I've been heading for a long time.

Wheeeee!

post-22917-13819600973592_thumb.jpg

post-22917-13819619526772_thumb.jpg

I too have been a very very happy, Chorus II owner. Soft or LOUD and they will play very, very loud they are a great speaker. If I had the room the only thing I would replace them with would be (La Scala, Belle Klipsch, Klipshorns) not sure about the Cornwalls.

Cliff

In the past ten years I have moved through (in rough order), KSB 1.1's, La Scala, Cornwall II, KHorns, KG.4, Forte I, RF 7, Heresy, Cornwall I.5, Cornwall II (again), Forte II and now, finally, these Chorus II's.

They seem to combine everything I like about all the best Klipsch flavors: Distinct detailed music but without grit or edginess, great "scale" (big stuff sounds really big, small stuff sounds small), low distortion/high sensitivity, and that thing that happens with drums... like no other speakers. They make Radiohead swing and Beach Boys soar.

Ya never know exactly when and how the upgrade bug will sting in the future, but this feels like where I've been heading for a long time.

Wheeeee!

Some of us have figured it out. Chorus II is a giant killer. I have been jamming with mine for over 20 years and if the good lord allows it will be another 20.

Congrats.

[Y][H][Y]

Wheeeee!

Some of us have figured it out. Chorus II is a giant killer. I have been jamming with mine for over 20 years and if the good lord allows it will be another 20.

Congrats.

YesCoolYes

It's the only other Klipsch speaker that has really grabbed my attention. I had a pair temporarily, and I was amazed at the sound. Better footprint than my LS, too. They are GREAT speakers!

Bruce

Nothing surprising to owners of Chorus II's, Lyons. As you can see they have a dedicated following here on the forums. Welcome to the club! Beautiful finish on those as well, get some Howard's Feed 'n Wax on those and make them shine. As I have said before, Chorus II's are the unsung heroes of the "Extended Heritage" lineup. Enjoy them for awhile and then think about upgrading the crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms from Mr. Bob Crites. That was the best decision I made after 20 years of service, really noticable improvement.

As I have used and enjoyed Heritage and Extended Heritage speakers over the past years I have usually quickly updated the crossovers. On the Cornwall IIs I also installed Mr. Crites' esteemed titanium tweeter drivers. They do sound great, but I am beginning to wonder if some original Klipsch "voicing" isn't being lost by updating components which still have life in them.

No one could argue with replacing 25+ year old capacitors, or malfunctioning tweeter diaphagms, but my Chorus IIs are only sweet 16 and have no driver issues I can detect..

I think I'll follow Stephen's advice and listen intently for a month or two before changing a thing.

Chris

Chorus IIs are excellent speakers - in some respects they best Cornwalls. I had given some thought to using three pairs of Chorus II for my home theater, but given my anticipated difficulty in obtaining three sets of same finish and quality condition I thought it more feasible to use Cornwalls. I don't regret my choice in the least, but know full well that I would be similarly pleased had I chosen the Chorus IIs instead.