whos the king ? his speakers or mine ;)

quadklipsh

guys ,

a friend visited me yesterday ,telling me about his JBL L100s that he bought a few months ago . i showed him my room where we had the RF3s and the vintage marantz 2230.

we played a few songs .... and then he commented that the bass of these klipsch speakers was very forward sounding , as if its emerging from the front of the towers , and not like his speakers where the jbls envelop you with their bass all around .

i said the two are different sounding machines and that i prefer the klipsch coz of their clarity and live sound and to some extent they do give ample bass .

he runs his JBLs with the mackie 1200 amp . its some powerful amplifier that he purchased with the speakers from some DJ studio.

He said the bass of klipsch isnt hitting him ,its not as involving , and that i should experience his jbls for the comparison , where the bass is awesome .

is it that my speakers really are no match for jbls or is it the amp and room factor ?

plz comment

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are quite different speakers. The L100's are no slouch and don't be surprised if you really like them. They are a consumer version of the 4310 studio monitor. My brother has a pair and they do have nice bass but they had something funky going on up high. That is no slam on the L100 as there could be something wrong they are from the 70's. After living with the L100's for a while he heard a pair of Heresy's at my house and was very impressed with them and now he wants a pair of those as well.

psg

we r pretty old friends , but his speakers are residing 1200 kms from my place .lolz.

so we can only chat about em.

well L100s are here in a musik shop too. and they are very deep bassy sounding compared to another shopkeeper who runs his music on chorus IIs . night n day differences . but JBLs do win ones heart in short audition sessions ......

what do you say ...

psg

we r pretty old friends , but his speakers are residing 1200 kms from my place .lolz.

so we can only chat about em.

well L100s are here in a musik shop too. and they are very deep bassy sounding compared to another shopkeeper who runs his music on chorus IIs . night n day differences . but JBLs do win ones heart in short audition sessions ......

what do you say ...

That it's not worth losing a friend over it. I'm not an expert on either model so can't draw definitive conclusions.

Once I had a friend come over to listen to my Klipschorns. All he could say was that the bass lacked punch and that I should try an amplifier with a high dampling factor. Never mind the pin-point imaging, never mind the sound of bass strings being rubbed right in front of you, never mind that it sounded 100 times better than his system... That's all he could manage to say. I don't talk about audio with him anymore.[8-)]

Hey Quadklipsch, as always it is good to see you.

I agree with Peter, bass is easy.....good bass is much harder to reproduce. I wonder how accurate his bass really is.

The room also has a lot to do with it. So there are many factors involved. Unless you have both sets of speakers in the same room, you really can't compare them.

Dennie

Those are quite different speakers. The L100's are no slouch and don't be surprised if you really like them. They are a consumer version of the 4310 studio monitor. My brother has a pair and they do have nice bass but they had something funky going on up high. That is no slam on the L100 as there could be something wrong they are from the 70's. After living with the L100's for a while he heard a pair of Heresy's at my house and was very impressed with them and now he wants a pair of those as well.

WOW.

Long story short... My Dad had L100s and a Sansui 9090 receiver in the early 80s.

They really thumped.... I mean these mothers could knock the wind out of you. (I was much younger and lighter....) [:P]

I remember many nights of Buddy Holly, Eddie Rabbit, Kenny Rogers, Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison as well as the theme from Beverly Hills Cop and many other songs. I remember that my Uncles and his friends all used to compliment him as his system could knock you on your arse.....

My Dad has been gone for 20 years.... I have wondered a lot lately.... What would he think of my system?.... I wish he could come by and have a listen.....

Seti; I thank you from the bottom of my heart! (Your post has kinda answered my question; at least to a point.... It's nice to know that while not nearly as bassy, they are in the same league).... Talk your brother into redoing those X-overs! Any chance of posting a pic? (For my selfish, nostalgic desires?)

QuadK; Comparing Heritage to Reference is apples to Oranges. So is JBL100s to RF3s... 2 way vs 3 way......

I love the 3 way sound of Klipsch Heritage.... YMMV..... (Enjoy what you have; an excellent set of speakers!!!) [H]

Long story short... My Dad had L100s and a Sansui 9090 receiver in the early 80s.

They really thumped.... I mean these mothers could knock the wind out of you. (I was much younger and lighter....) Stick out tongue

I remember many nights of Buddy Holly, Eddie Rabbit, Kenny Rogers, Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison as well as the theme from Beverly Hills Cop and many other songs. I remember that my Uncles and his friends all used to compliment him as his system could knock you on your arse.....

My Dad has been gone for 20 years.... I have wondered a lot lately.... What would he think of my system?.... I wish he could come by and have a listen.....

Wow man, great story and thanks for sharing it!

Not knowing your Dad (or you really LOL) I'm sure that, if you like your system, he would like your system. C'mon, your early music listening with your Dad has influenced your choices, whether you know it or not! Your passion for this hobby shows and if I can see it, he would have been able to see it also! [;)]

Just my humble opinion,

Dennie

Dennie,

Guys like you make this forum "comfy" (I believe I have described this place like comfy slippers).

I appreciate you and other members very much....

(My Dad would have also! Big Smile )

Very Cool! I think of "all of you" as Friends I haven't met, yet! [:D]

Dennie

dennie. thanks for noticing im back .

any how . accuracy and pleasure .are two seperate feelings delivered by ones audio system..... i think u can get pleasure from ur gear ,no matter if it is accurate to original material or not .....

i used to love my sansui speakers a lot more than my systems today , because of all this fuss and eeryness to get that accurate reproduction from my system now .....

back in those years , we wanted oomph n bass , without ever being minutely concerned about how accurate it was, though it had the maximum distortion (I.M) but it pleased us . ignorance was bliss .lolz...

accuracy from speakers is hard to find and hard to purchase too, coz of costs , otherwise the loads of loudspeakers built today from crap companies would have no place in this world .they do give bass too,lolz

its a very long debate i wudnt wana go into. ....

any ways , thanks for the account ....

Long Live the 4310,4311,4312, and 4313's. The only reason I dumped all of my JBL "collection" was that JBL stopped making replacement drivers, diaphragms, etc. back in 2001-2002. The studio/control room monitors were really good, and at the time and for the price (military PX/Audio Club system) were the best alternative if you could not find Heresy's. My "Wall of Voodoo" used to be Klipschorns, 4311's for centers, 4312's on top of K'horns, and a pair of 4313's in the living room. My original pair of Heresy's were in the MBR with the "really nice WAF approved" K'horns. But by 2003, they were all gone, and replaced by either Heresy's (4311,4312's), Cornwalls (4313's) or LaScalas (4313's). Nostalgia? Some, but the Klipsch speakers sound just as good, and having figured out how to change caps, crossovers, etc, now sound much better for the applications in which I use them. If I ever find a pair of nice fully restored (as in drivers and caps) 4311's, I'd buy them for the man cave.

I can't compare to the RF series but I have 4312s running with Heresy 1s in the shop. The 4312s do have a little more punch in the bass but I have not tried to get the best sound from either setup. I run both pairs at the same time with the Heresys as speaker 1 and the 4312s as speaker 2s. They complement each other and the setup easily fill my shop (75 feet long, 30 feet wide and 20 feet tall with insulation on all walls and roof, concrete floor). They are not setup for "critical listening" rather they are background music for when I am working in there.

I would not say that either is "better" than the other in this situation but I do enjoy the sound I get when they are together.