UPA-5 $399 @ Emotiva

Rivernuggets

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy CRAP that's cheap!

True or you can get the XPA-5 used for around $450. Either way, not a bad price for a 5 channel amp. Wish I paid that for mine. Stick out tongue

I've never seen an XPA-5 that low. Just scanning around now I see one for $680+shipping, $720 w/ shipping, and $650+shipping. If I saw one going for that 'round here (where everyone thinks their junk is gold), I'd HAVE to buy it.

• Moderators

I've never seen an XPA-5 that low. Just scanning around now I see one for $680+shipping, $720 w/ shipping, and $650+shipping. If I saw one going for that 'round here (where everyone thinks their junk is gold), I'd HAVE to buy it.

My appologies...I was thinking of the XPA-3 back when I was looking for a 3 channel amp. $450 for the XPA-3 was a common price for that. The XPA-5 was much higher, closer to $800 if I remember correctly. My mistake. [;)]

Are they good amps?

A lot of good reviews, but I don't know if 125wpc would be a huge upgrade over some receivers amp section.

For me it was. I had a Marantz SR7001 rated at 120 watts/channel. I changed to a UPA-2 for my front speakers and then a LPA-1 (predecessor to the UPA series). At high volume levels especially I noticed a big difference in overall clarity, dynamics, etc.

Are they good amps?

A lot of good reviews, but I don't know if 125wpc would be a huge upgrade over some receivers amp section.

For me it was. I had a Marantz SR7001 rated at 120 watts/channel. I changed to a UPA-2 for my front speakers and then a LPA-1 (predecessor to the UPA series). At high volume levels especially I noticed a big difference in overall clarity, dynamics, etc.

5 wpc shouldn't make an audible difference. Marantz must be grossly overstating their wattage in their receivers.

The main difference is that receivers are usually rated at 2 channels driven so a 125 wpc receiver is actually only a continuous 125w x 2 @ 8 ohm and gets less as more channels are used as the receivers total power is really only 250w or a little more. While an Emotiva amp is rated at all channels driven so an UPA-5 is a continuous 125w x 5 @ 8 ohm, total power of 625w or a little more.

Emotiva is also known to rate their amps lower than they really are so their amps actual power is typically higher than its rating.