UPA-5 $399 @ Emotiva

Rivernuggets

A lot of good reviews, but I don't know if 125wpc would be a huge upgrade over some receivers amp section.

The main difference is that receivers are usually rated at 2 channels driven so a 125 wpc receiver is actually only a continuous 125w x 2 @ 8 ohm and gets less as more channels are used as the receivers total power is really only 250w or a little more. While an Emotiva amp is rated at all channels driven so an UPA-5 is a continuous 125w x 5 @ 8 ohm, total power of 625w or a little more.

Emotiva is also known to rate their amps lower than they really are so their amps actual power is typically higher than its rating.

that's true. if you look at the UPA-5 test results. all five channels were driven continously at 129+ wpc. so yes, 125 is a little understated compare to actual results.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question, if i get this amp and only hook up 3 channels (instead of 5), would i get more than 125wpc?

Yes but it's not recommended. While it is ok to not use all of the amps channels, it is a bad idea to try to drive the amp extra hard with less channels to try and get that extra power per channel (more than it was intended). But under normal usage it would be ok to use only 3 of the amps 5 channels.

god *** it, i hate Emotiva.

just bought an ultra 10 sub from them 2 months ago.

this deal is killing me.

question, if i get this amp and only hook up 3 channels (instead of 5), would i get more than 125wpc?

Did you see the price on the ultra 10 now?[6]

Yes but it's not recommended. While it is ok to not use all of the amps channels, it is a bad idea to try to drive the amp extra hard with less channels to try and get that extra power per channel (more than it was intended). But under normal usage it would be ok to use only 3 of the amps 5 channels.

haha...i was hoping that i would actually get an XPA-3 for half the price with this amp if i am only driving 3 channels. i guess my math is not quite right.

5 wpc shouldn't make an audible difference. Marantz must be grossly overstating their wattage in their receivers.

I'm not talking about a difference in total output. I'm talking about how things sound at higher volumes. When I went to the UPA-2 driving the front 2 channels and the Marantz handling the surrounds I immediately noticed an improvement in sound all across the board but especially at high volumes.

If anyone has been on the fence about getting an Emotiva amp now is the time to do it! $399 shipped for a UPA-5 is an insanely good deal.

5 wpc shouldn't make an audible difference. Marantz must be grossly overstating their wattage in their receivers.

I'm not talking about a difference in total output. I'm talking about how things sound at higher volumes. When I went to the UPA-2 driving the front 2 channels and the Marantz handling the surrounds I immediately noticed an improvement in sound all across the board but especially at high volumes.

That makes perfect sense. The Marantz was running out of steam. The outboard amp gave you more headroom for transients.

Yep...if you bought a new UMC you would get a $100 certificate, that can be used on ANY item, $299 delivered for the upa5.There is no way that deal can be touched by anyone.The UPA is as good as any BK, Rotel 125 watt etc...I've had.

I couldn't hold off on this. Also be sure to check out the deal on Newegg for a Yamaha RX-V765 with promo code EMCZYYW22, $299 delivered. So, for a total investment of $700 you get a true pre-pro/amp setup with Burr-Brown DACs. Get yourself a 12V trigger cable from Radio shack ($5) and some short shielded RCA cables from Monoprice ($15).

Can't wait to see how my the 15" woofers on my Chorus IIs light up compared to my current Denon AVR-790.

Wish they'd have a Spooky $150 discount on the UMC-1.

In a way they did have a UMC-1 discount, everyone who had previously bought an UMC-1 just received a $100 gift card from Emotiva.

Very sweet. This is yet another time where they treat their customers well.

A bit of a thread detour, but:

If one were to purchase a UMC-1, would there be a 40% discount for that person when the XMC-1 is released?

I added an LPA-1 to my Pioneer Elite 92 which is 135 watts per channel-the LPA-1 is only 125 per channel and I am amazed at the difference in volume and clarity-separates are definitely worth it. I can hear things I never could before I added the Emotiva. I highly recommend it. Beef up your shelving-these things are heavy!

• Moderators

I got a strange email from Emotiva tonight, I never ordered or even inquired about anything with the company...........not that I would not like to order anything, but not now, just a sales tool I guess ?

This was the most of it less the name of someone there.

" As promised, this is your notification that the pre order for the XDA-1 is now available . Please visit our website to reserve your unit. Shipping is December 1, 2010."